What to do at the QB position

kskboys

Reaction score
It is still quitting
What is still quitting? Building for the future? So, you'd have preferred keeping Herschel Walker and going 6-10 for the next 8 years? What is this obsession of yours of calling everyone who doesn't like what they're seeing w/ this team quitters? Very strange.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
WHY DO YOU WANT TO DUMP DAK?

Seriously, why wouldn't you keep him in here and let him compete w/ the QB you bring in? Then you automatically have a cheap backup if you get someone better.
Because he obviously won’t want to be here as a backup. Why would he? He believes he’s a starter in this league. It’s like RG3. Plus I’d like an experienced vet in a rookie’s ear:not Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because he obviously won’t want to be here as a backup. Why would he? He believes he’s a starter in this league. It’s like RG3. Plus I’d like an experienced vet in a rookie’s ear:not Dak.
You are making a big jump to a conclusion that may or may not be accurate.

Most QB's do not want to be a backup. You make them the backup if that is what they are best suited for.

Rajveer

Reaction score
You are 100% wrong about that

Half the posters here are troll level that wallow in the misery
You could be right. I just joined this site. I was a regular on the DC fan site and there were a lot of trolls from Philly there.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
What is still quitting? Building for the future? So, you'd have preferred keeping Herschel Walker and going 6-10 for the next 8 years? What is this obsession of yours of calling everyone who doesn't like what they're seeing w/ this team quitters? Very strange.
JG is 13 games over 500..... we fight for the Division every year

When only won 4 games when Romo got hurt and we had Brandon Weeden

Why are you so obsessed with throwing this team in the trash??

We have 11m ......make some trades and sack up

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You could be right. I just joined this site. I was a regular on the DC fan site and there were a lot of trolls from Philly there.
Our trolls are homegrown

They are just miserable "fans"

Centex

Reaction score
I do what it takes to draft a top qb prospect. I would trade up if needed. Every year it seems there are one or two qb prospects that are top tier.

The rest are crap shoots. We can't afford a crap shoot or we risk wasting the oline and Zeke. We position ourselves to draft the top one or two Qbs and build from that.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It is still quitting
So we end up with a mediocre record, if by some miracle we end up in the playoffs we are not a threat. We end up having to expend even more capital to move up the draft board to get a quality rook QB. Even worse, Jerry sees a glimmer of improvement and keeps the same staff and it's Groundhog Day all over again next season, with the same problems over and over again. Sometimes you have to cut off the foot to save the leg.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel that Dak needs a REAL QB coach to help him refine his skill set. Romo had David Lee in year one as a starter who was revered as a QB coach, and he still is. They worked on several aspects of his game but early on the focused on the basics, MECHANICS and pocket awareness.

Romo talked about tightening his mechanics almost every year but especially during his ascension to good QB. People like to romanticize Romo’s career and choose to remember him at his best but he had his share of struggles. He really struggled with decision making for a long time, like the entire first half of his playing years. Near retirement he really started to get it and it was wonderful to watch but we all had to live through his growing pains.

Make no mistake, Dak is playing poorly right now. He is almost completely in the tank. His hot start is a ways in the rear view right now and he is on the verge of losing all the goodwill he built in 2016. He MUST improve.

Good news on Dak is that by almost all accounts he is a very hard worker and football is important to him. He came into early 2017 looking like a full fledged NFL QB and we could see his improvements from the prior year. The Cowboys looked like HIS team and he made some slight strides from his incredible rookie year. The hopes some of us still have for him as a franchise QB shouldn’t be gone quite yet. It’s all still right in front of him and his opportunity hasn’t been squandered.

As opposed to Romo, Dak came into the league very risk averse. He doesn’t make the boneheaded (yeah, that word was used a LOT to describe younger Romo) mistakes passing the ball. His mistakes come from not analyzing what the defense is doing pre-snap and then not taking enough chances when he isn’t so sure of what they’re doing. The other thing he needs help with is setting his feet quickly when he does see the proper throw to make it more accurate. In this offense, missed throws are magnified because he only gets like 20 opportunities a game. Minus the screens and gadget stuff, it’s more like 15 real opportunities to make NFL caliber throws. He can’t waste them making jump passes and weird throws off the back foot.

A lot of the people *****ing and moaning about the passes on the interceptions and nitpicking the “accuracy” of those particular passes don’t watch enough other teams play. NFL QBs miss throws all the time and their receivers often bail them out but you don’t hear about it and they don’t make the ESPN highlight packages. Could those passes have been a few inches lower (in the case of Austin) or to the left (in Thompson’s case)? Sure. But receivers are supposed to make those catches. Had they done it, no one would have said they were incredible, highlight reel catches, either. They would have been routine. Our receivers need to make those routine plays.

I say all that to say, Dak has proven to be a good QB. He can play in this league. We’ve all seen it. His growth is being stunted right now and he could use some help with play calling. But overall, I think he really needs a David Lee.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So we end up with a mediocre record, if by some miracle we end up in the playoffs we are not a threat. We end up having to expend even more capital to move up the draft board to get a quality rook QB. Even worse, Jerry sees a glimmer of improvement and keeps the same staff and it's Groundhog Day all over again next season, with the same problems over and over again. Sometimes you have to cut off the foot to save the leg.
Quitting

Make some moves

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We aren't making the playoffs with this offense. All we are going to do is be mediocre. And that's all JG has been mediocre.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
LOL I don't mind home gown trolls at all. 22 years of not being relevant under the Jones Family can make the best of fans miserable.
Jones doesn't owe us anything

He won us 3 SBs..... that is more than most in a lifetime

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
LOL

Richard is not qualified to be an NFL head coach.

Richard with his limited exposure might end up bringing in Darrell Bevell.

You want that?
If made HC, I would be afraid that, that's exactly who he would want as his OC too.

rags747

Reaction score
We will be in heavy competition with the Giants for the #1 QB this year. Winning 8 games this year serves zero purpose, this team is going nowhere with the way our passing game is working. Dak will not be around if we take a top college qb, he will go to another team as a backup and collect a very nice paycheck for the next 10 years. We need to start fresh from scratch with this next draft. We said give him year 3, well we are in year 3 and its so bad even the fanboys are wanting to tank!