What to expect from Moore

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
but but scott was good enough for the previous qb and dak's super rookie year? what happened. and garrett was he coy?... maybe dak just sucks.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This is true. Nobody knows. Including us...
And that will be an advantage over the early part of the schedule.

I brought this up in another thread the other day: When Jim Zorn took over as the Commanders head coach, the league had no idea what to expect from his offense. They started out the year at 6-2 and the Commander fans were acting like they had hired the next Bill Belichick. Over the last half of the schedule, I think they lost all but one game as defenses figured out Zorn’s offensive tendencies. He was fired not long thereafter.

The fast start would have been a huge advantage if The Commanders hadn’t been talent poor and terribly coached.

Hopefully for Dallas, they have a good enough team not to fall off the map once the book is out on a Moore led offense. If they steal a couple/three games early because teams don’t know what to do to prepare for the offense, then it could really help propel the team to a very good record... ideally getting a high playoff seed.

It’s why I wanted teams like Chicago and New England in the first half of the schedule.

I think Garrett needs to play the starters more in preseason and have the team well versed in the offense by the time game 1 rolls around. They need to hit the ground running in September. Last season it took them a few games to work the kinks out. That crap doesn’t need to happen this year. Play the starters and risk pre-season injuries. It is worth the risk, IMO.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And that will be an advantage over the early part of the schedule.

I brought this up in another thread the other day: When Jim Zorn took over as the Commanders head coach, the league had no idea what to expect from his offense. They started out the year at 6-2 and the Commander fans were acting like they had hired the next Bill Belichick. Over the last half of the schedule, I think they lost all but one game as defenses figured out Zorn’s offensive tendencies. He was fired not long thereafter.

The fast start would have been a huge advantage if The Commanders hadn’t been talent poor and terribly coached.

Hopefully for Dallas, they have a good enough team not to fall off the map once the book is out on a Moore led offense. If they steal a couple/three games early because teams don’t know what to do to prepare for the offense, then it could really help propel the team to a very good record... ideally getting a high playoff seed.

It’s why I wanted teams like Chicago and New England in the first half of the schedule.

I think Garrett needs to play the starters more in preseason and have the team well versed in the offense by the time game 1 rolls around. They need to hit the ground running in September. Last season it took them a few games to work the kinks out. That crap doesn’t need to happen this year. Play the starters and risk pre-season injuries. It is worth the risk, IMO.
Boom. Sweet post. I agree, I think with keeping the same type of Offense and throwing in misdirection and play action we should keep teams guessing most of the year. Like you said we have plenty of talent to simply execute. JG and Linehan use a throw back playbook of JGs from the 90’s that is predictable and stop us if you can. It depends on players executing the simple plays. We have heard to many times by opposing teams that we are easy to game plan for we just have to stop what they are doing.

I think Moore is going to have new wrinkles and motion dialed up. He will have enough new plays and multiple plays from the same formation to slowly release this stuff throughout the season that will keep teams guessing. Or I am giving him to much credit... Lol.

Seemed like JJ pulled the plug on preseason last year. Elliot never took a snap and with no Fredbeard and Martin getting dinged early they made a huge mistake IMO. We started off real bad. Then came on strong. The final giants game with no real starting O-Line or Elliot showed me that Dak can play. Needs improvement in areas and this year the game should slow down some more and defenses should get easier for him to read.

I like our chances but Moore is gonna be a real wild card. We are gonna have different situational play calling with him. He won’t change it all up. I heard Romo last year when he was commentating one of our games saying yeah yeah that’s it run the 11 formation because it’s a formation we can run different plays out of. That sounds like a good place for Moore to start.

If I am Moore then the giants are seeing some different stuff. That should throw them and the rest of our opponents a curve ball. The second game go more of a base Offense. Then just change it up and show a few different looks here and there.

I agree with our preseason needing our starters
to be in. And I would be giving Elliot some snaps. Again like you said, hit the ground running. Fast start and get up on the division. If we could have a chance to wrap this division up early then by all means do it. I only see the egirls in our way. And wentz can’t stay healthy.

InTheZone

Reaction score
More of the same in the pass game. I could see Zeke used in more misdirections and draws..hopefully..

glimmerman

Reaction score
That logic works both ways. In Dak’s “super rookie year” Dak was good enough for Scott. What happened?
That team was really stacked on Offense. The O-Line was great and Dak could just drive the bus and make some plays. Teams had no film of him and his running style kept teams guessing. I think Linehan kept the plays super simple for him to execute and he did a amazing job.

InTheZone

Reaction score
That logic works both ways. In Dak’s “super rookie year” Dak was good enough for Scott. What happened?
teams figured out Daks weaknesses and Scott couldn't implement anything else as the QB is limited to certain things, so we hit a bottleneck and all the rage and hate went to the OC instead of the pet.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
teams figured out Daks weaknesses and Scott couldn't implement anything else as the QB is limited to certain things, so we hit a bottleneck and all the rage and hate went to the OC instead of the pet.

So, you are saying we had an OC who is only able to succeed when circumstances are ideal .... sorry, but while I accept that Dak has limitations, this is not an excuse for Linehan being powerless to do anything to keep things fresh

ShiningStar

Reaction score
This is true. Nobody knows. Including us...

here comes the new things the NFL never seen before. The QB will get the ball, Zeke might run it, or one of our Oline men, but i think we can all bet on Zeke. The QB is going to stun the league, and throw it, but heres the new wrinkle, to a Guard, yea, we re going to confuse some people. the Giants wont expect that. I know what your thinking, probably a WR, but no, we re doing something ew that NO ONE has seen before.

than we re going to confuse teams, see, we re going to be Witten at center, and a WR at LT. yyea, going to do some heavy confusion.

im pretty sure the Giants know what to expect.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Stephen want Moore to bring in his own ideals and his own views. I do expect to see Dallas using more motion and crossing routs and misdirection plays and yes the occasional flea flicker. If the intent was to keep Linehan playbook they would have kept Linehan as well.
Hear, hear!

InTheZone

Reaction score
So, you are saying we had an OC who is only able to succeed when circumstances are ideal .... sorry, but while I accept that Dak has limitations, this is not an excuse for Linehan being powerless to do anything to keep things fresh
All I'm saying is that there's only so much you can do for every player. With what you said you are assuming Dak can excel at many other things and for all we know that would just be speculation. Only time will tell if the issue is the QB or the coaches. Mostly everyone's assuming Moore will be an upgrade, I'm just waiting to see the results. If Moore can't help the QB then that's the final nail in the coffin to move on. If we go back to being a top 10 passing offense given the run game is as efficient as it's been for 3 years straight then I'll be less critical.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
That logic works both ways. In Dak’s “super rookie year” Dak was good enough for Scott. What happened?[/QUOTE}
All Dak's responsibilities was to protect the ball. The more they wanted him to do the less he could do. He's no Peyton Manning, just give him a play and run it. Once they let him pretend he was Peyton at the line of scrimmage the worse he got.
He panic with pressure and most of the time runs straight into pressure. What miraculous game planning is going to fix this.
Moore might as well go ahead and quit if it's up to him to fix his issues. All moore will be able to do is design more short passes for the mad bomber.

Techsass

Reaction score
To me..

Part of his issues will be that in pre-season..

he has to hold back to save things for the regular season.

He is going to have to play backups alot becuz they will not play starters until the regular season.

This means another rough start in the first part of the year like last year.

We really will not know until mid season what we have.

So it's going to mean we may get edgy if things do not run smoothly.

The passing attack is definitely going to change.

We will need to watch Moore at Boise to maybe see where he will be heading.

Do we get to play Hawaii? I remember as a kid back in the 70's watching them. Their most memorable play was a punt that landed on the ref;s foot & bounced back about 25 yards. Not exactly a football powerhouse.

Techsass

Reaction score
he had been an assistant with the rams and john robinson. ernie zampese personally called jimmy and recommend him. so it seems even jimmy was willing to take a chance on an unknown. moore just might turn out to be another turner.
That would be cool. I was a big Norv fan. Sorry he didn't make it as a HC. Maybe Moore has the same OC finesse.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Some creativity
Pass more often on early downs
Run different plays out of same formations
We could sit at home and predict run or pass last year
It doesn’t have to be a so called trick play to fool a defense
It just has to be less predictable
Exactly! So simple, but so complicated for some!

When the other team has a really good idea when you are going to run the ball, and when you are going to pass the ball, it is much easier for the other team to get in position to stop you. Defensive players play the run different than the pass. It is a huge advantage when they can predict run or pass. Also, defensive backs, were predicting what our receivers were running. Just ask Cooper and Beasley.

9of11

Reaction score
If he come anything close to KC offense...then I'll be happy...but if we have the same stagnant play book with the same routes...instead of down and outs and changes to down and in...we in big trouble....