What to expect from Moore

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What's funny is most wanted him gone as QBC, but now he'll be a genius OC.

Moore was a bad joke as a QBC. Never *been* coached to anything more than the border of PS and 53. Never coached *himself* to anything more than that. Never done anything in the NFL. Never coached anyone else. And he'll start his career coaching in the NFL for a presumed franchise QB who had just seriously regressed.

I'll suspend judgment on him as OC and be happy he's just not Linehan.

Xs and Os are a higher level of abstraction than a position coach, and everyone swears he's great at it. Ok. Could be.

But no way I think he should be the position coach for anyone in the NFL. Position coaches are into the nitty gritty, and that's where you need experience.

I'm really glad they brought in Kitna. He's credible as a QB coach. Has 15 years of NFL experience and 5 years as a high school head coach. Experience playing, plus actual coaching. More than Garrett had when he started as a QB coach.

Should be useful for helping Moore out at OC too. Garrett swears up and down that he didn't change the offense for Kitna in 2010, but Kitna sure played it differently, and more effectively. Finally, we'd just get rid of the ball early sometimes. Felix had a monster season receiving, with catch rate in the 90s and yards per target at 8.7. That's good for a WR. Miles made the Pro Bowl at 8.8. Witten made All Pro at 7.9.

What Kitna had was decisiveness. Should be good for Dak.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any coordinator but the last one we had.

Linehan set the bar very low. If Moore simply does the sensible things any coordinator might do, it's a step up.

Zeke has carried the ball more than any RB in the NFL over the last 3 years, leading the NFL in 2 of those 3 years, and was only prevented from making it 3 of 3 because of a suspension. And his receptions per game increased every year. He got the ball.

In Dallas, Cooper was on a pace that over 16 games would have resulted in 94 catches in 135 targets. He got the ball too.

I was not a Linehan fan, but lets at least be fair about what his issues were. Not using Zeke and Cooper were not among them.

Sammy

Reaction score
Moore's only QB experience in the NFL was under Linehan. Even Dak couldn't be great with Linehan's offense, and IIRC M Stafford didn't excel either.

Point one, maybe that's why Kellen's career was so unremarkable. I don't know, but it's possible that if he had a quality OC who knew how to use each player's talents, he'd still be playing.

Point two, because of his experience, at this point Kellen is very aware how much difference the OC makes to the success (or failure) of a quarterback. You've all seen the gif of him throwing Linehan's playbook to the ground in frustration. Hopefully he will want to make sure his doesn't get tossed. Hopefully he has the knowledge and talent and insight to see and acknowledge his player's strong points and weak points and how to use them.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zeke has carried the ball more than any RB in the NFL over the last 3 years, leading the NFL in 2 of those 3 years, and was only prevented from making it 3 of 3 because of a suspension. And his receptions per game increased every year. He got the ball.

In Dallas, Cooper was on a pace that over 16 games would have resulted in 94 catches in 135 targets. He got the ball too.

I was not a Linehan fan, but lets at least be fair about what his issues were. Not using Zeke and Cooper were not among them.

Sorry, I blew the context with cutting and pasting.

There are plenty of easy and obvious things Linehan didn't do.

TheCritic

Reaction score
To the OP,

You can expect nothing less than the birth of one of the greatest offenses of all time. The Cowboys will lead the league in scoring, time of possession and 80% of the offense will be in the Pro Bowl.

Actually when I think about it, Kellen's greatness is so vast, that players are intimidated and make stupid mistakes. Kellen draws up a play on the whiteboard and players just sit there with their jaws dropped to the floor. They're thinking OMG I can't do this! I'm not worthy of such a beautiful play.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of Kellen Plays sitting in a vault that the public will never see. It reminds me of watching early Michael Jordan when the rest of the Chicago Bulls forgot how to play basketball because they were caught up in the worship of the genius of Jordan. It's basically the same thing with Kellen Moore.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Moore was a bad joke as a QBC. Never *been* coached to anything more than the border of PS and 53. Never coached *himself* to anything more than that. Never done anything in the NFL. Never coached anyone else. And he'll start his career coaching in the NFL for a presumed franchise QB who had just seriously regressed.

I'll suspend judgment on him as OC and be happy he's just not Linehan.

Xs and Os are a higher level of abstraction than a position coach, and everyone swears he's great at it. Ok. Could be.

But no way I think he should be the position coach for anyone in the NFL. Position coaches are into the nitty gritty, and that's where you need experience.

I'm really glad they brought in Kitna. He's credible as a QB coach. Has 15 years of NFL experience and 5 years as a high school head coach. Experience playing, plus actual coaching. More than Garrett had when he started as a QB coach.

Should be useful for helping Moore out at OC too. Garrett swears up and down that he didn't change the offense for Kitna in 2010, but Kitna sure played it differently, and more effectively. Finally, we'd just get rid of the ball early sometimes. Felix had a monster season receiving, with catch rate in the 90s and yards per target at 8.7. That's good for a WR. Miles made the Pro Bowl at 8.8. Witten made All Pro at 7.9.

What Kitna had was decisiveness. Should be good for Dak.
:clap::thumbup::clap:

*Decisiveness*:yourock:
Yer' Rockin' the solid rock walls with that singular utilization of that word BB-DD!!!,,,THUSLY! +3 points are hereby awarded,,,er,,, & henceforth continuously remain being awarded on/or about the first of the month of every preceding month for a period, not to exceed any & all almost nudie girls on a calendar leaning over custom built v-twin Choppers period of a 6 month spano_O

:flagwave::dance::dance::flagwave:

:clap::oldcouple::oldcouple::clap:

:hammer::hammer:

well done!, Damn well done,my Man:starspin:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
To the OP,

You can expect nothing less than the birth of one of the greatest offenses of all time. The Cowboys will lead the league in scoring, time of possession and 80% of the offense will be in the Pro Bowl.

Actually when I think about it, Kellen's greatness is so vast, that players are intimidated and make stupid mistakes. Kellen draws up a play on the whiteboard and players just sit there with their jaws dropped to the floor. They're thinking OMG I can't do this! I'm not worthy of such a beautiful play.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of Kellen Plays sitting in a vault that the public will never see. It reminds me of watching early Michael Jordan when the rest of the Chicago Bulls forgot how to play basketball because they were caught up in the worship of the genius of Jordan. It's basically the same thing with Kellen Moore.
* you got something there kid,,,keep working on it:thumbup:

:lmao:LMAO:lmao:
That was a some funny, funny stuff:thumbup:,,,er,,, once that durn venomous vindictive sarcasm scanner screen is manually unpluggedo_O

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Whst do you expect from a first year OC. He obviously isn’t going to come out with a whole new playbook and if he does there would be a huge learning curve.

I do think there will be some wrinkles put in. Maybe more motion and misdirection used. They say he will bring in some fresh new ideas and JJ says that’s exactly what he wants.

With a fresh and hopefully healthy O-Line and a star RB playing in a contract year I hope he keeps the smash mouth element and stays run first. But wondering what you all think he is going to bring to the pass game.

He will be calling the plays and JG has no new contract and his job could be completely relying on how well Moore does.

I have heard more than 1 ex Cowboy WR saying Linehan ran the same pass plays and lined everyone up in the same formations. Even Cooper was getting tired of the same plays.

How much do you think he shakes it up in his first year.
I'm actually most excited by this change. One thing for sure, our offense won't be predictable this year. I'm sure Kellen has already taken the Jet Sweep design page from the playbook and burned it beyond recognition in his fireplace.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm actually most excited by this change. One thing for sure, our offense won't be predictable this year. I'm sure Kellen has already taken the Jet Sweep design page from the playbook and burned it beyond recognition in his fireplace.
Don’t be so sure. Lol. With Austin resigned we may use a jet sweep or at least fake it for the misdirection.

Pokes12

Reaction score
Whst do you expect from a first year OC. He obviously isn’t going to come out with a whole new playbook and if he does there would be a huge learning curve.

I do think there will be some wrinkles put in. Maybe more motion and misdirection used. They say he will bring in some fresh new ideas and JJ says that’s exactly what he wants.

With a fresh and hopefully healthy O-Line and a star RB playing in a contract year I hope he keeps the smash mouth element and stays run first. But wondering what you all think he is going to bring to the pass game.

He will be calling the plays and JG has no new contract and his job could be completely relying on how well Moore does.

I have heard more than 1 ex Cowboy WR saying Linehan ran the same pass plays and lined everyone up in the same formations. Even Cooper was getting tired of the same plays.

How much do you think he shakes it up in his first year.
I think he is going to throw the book away.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because Moore is not a Shula or Turner?
No, he isn't but do we know much about him as the OC? The only thing we know is that he's inexperienced but seems to have some people in his corner. I surely hope he isn't either of those guys as Shula was a disaster as an OC in Dallas and Turner's first year wasn't great but he was building toward something.

Turner was demoted after his first stint as an OC in 84 to WR coach at USC. He joined the Cowboys in 91 for his first gig as NFL OC and subsequently served on 8 other NFL teams as OC, HC at 3 of those. And some think Garrett won't get another NFL gig.

However, neither Shula or Turner were given this type of talent to coach in their first OC gig, Shula's first one was so bad the HC was pissed they won one game jeopardizing his shot at #1.

Ya know that sayin' of Bum Phillips about Don Shula, "he can take his'n and beat your'in or take your'in and best his'n"? That's not necessarily true or there would be a lot more silk purses in the NFL than sows' ears.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No, he isn't but do we know much about him as the OC? The only thing we know is that he's inexperienced but seems to have some people in his corner. I surely hope he isn't either of those guys as Shula was a disaster as an OC in Dallas and Turner's first year wasn't great but he was building toward something.

Turner was demoted after his first stint as an OC in 84 to WR coach at USC. He joined the Cowboys in 91 for his first gig as NFL OC and subsequently served on 8 other NFL teams as OC, HC at 3 of those. And some think Garrett won't get another NFL gig.

However, neither Shula or Turner were given this type of talent to coach in their first OC gig, Shula's first one was so bad the HC was pissed they won one game jeopardizing his shot at #1.

Ya know that sayin' of Bum Phillips about Don Shula, "he can take his'n and beat your'in or take your'in and best his'n"? That's not necessarily true or there would be a lot more silk purses in the NFL than sows' ears.
I think he starts out slow. We will see subtle changes in formations and plays. Maybe some misdirection. A few wrinkles and maybe a new play or 2. Run first team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To the OP,

Ummmmmmm, are you, by any chance, one of those two Idaho posters from DC.com that wanted to have me whacked for calling Kellen Moore goofy looking? If so, I just want to go on the record that I was not the one that put him in that 1930's leather helmet, just responded to it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he starts out slow. We will see subtle changes in formations and plays. Maybe some misdirection. A few wrinkles and maybe a new play or 2. Run first team.
The most interesting part of this to me will be the dynamic between Garrett and Moore. And will Moore take Booger up on his open offer? "Daddy, Jason's looking at me again!!!!!"

I really am looking forward to one of the more interesting Cowboys seasons I will have witnessed. That crazy comeback from 3-5, not only not extending the HC but giving him a neophyte OC for his prover it year and announcing if anyone gets in your way little new OC, come see me. Damn glimm, ya just can't make this stuff up. I know we get pissed sometimes but is there any owner that gives us more to talk about than Booger?

glimmerman

Reaction score
The most interesting part of this to me will be the dynamic between Garrett and Moore. And will Moore take Booger up on his open offer? "Daddy, Jason's looking at me again!!!!!"

I really am looking forward to one of the more interesting Cowboys seasons I will have witnessed. That crazy comeback from 3-5, not only not extending the HC but giving him a neophyte OC for his prover it year and announcing if anyone gets in your way little new OC, come see me. Damn glimm, ya just can't make this stuff up. I know we get pissed sometimes but is there any owner that gives us more to talk about than Booger?
JJ is a showman. He keeps his team in the limelight. Sometimes not the way we would like. The whole thing with, I want new, if JG isn’t letting you change things the way you want them come see me. I don’t even know what to say about it. Lol. I am hoping that JJ doesn’t force him to change everything and make this team learn to much at once. They have to execute these plays. The old ones were predictable but they could execute them easier.

visionary

Reaction score
I predict that by the end of the year, Moore will be so effective, CZ homers will be using him as an excuse to absolve Garrett and Dak for a bad season

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JJ is a showman. He keeps his team in the limelight. Sometimes not the way we would like. The whole thing with, I want new, if JG isn’t letting you change things the way you want them come see me. I don’t even know what to say about it. Lol. I am hoping that JJ doesn’t force him to change everything and make this team learn to much at once. They have to execute these plays. The old ones were predictable but they could execute them easier.
He obviously didn't mean for Moore to do an end run, it was just his idiotic way of showing he had complete confidence in the young OC to turn it around.

cern

Reaction score
I expect him to be an immediate improvement over the listless linehan. and I hope it is true that Stephen and jerry both told him it's his offense to run and if anyone interferes (obviously meaning garrett) he should let them know. not sure if jerry sees the reality of how little he has in garrett, but I know Stephen isn't fooled.