What to expect from Moore

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lmao. I am slow this morning I have reread your statement about 5 times and still don’t understand. Lol.
I think he's saying a 3rd year guy isn't going to take on the OC and jack with the plays he calls. I do believe that Linehan had a pretty tight leash on Prescott.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing that Moore does bring to the table, he's not that far removed from calling his plays at BSU which he did according to Peterson. Each season, the NFL incorporates more of the college offense into their game and a fresh approach can revitalize an offense.

The offense was stuck in "we do it this way because that's how we've been doing it". Same with the defense. New thinking was needed on both sides of the ball. I would use the same word to describe what Linehan and Marinelli, both complete failures as HC's, were doing, conservative. Both play not to lose and I don't think anything frustrates players more than that and that's how Pederson won his team over. He puts the game on his guys.

One thing Moore must do from the get go is establish it's not Garrett's offense or Linehan's offense, it is his offense and he needs to be balls to the walls and win over any doubters. And the first chance Garrett gets on a 4th and short is show confidence in his OC and go for it.

Moore really is in a good spot. Everyone expects growing pains, learning curve and some mistakes so he is easier forgiven than an OC that's been doing that for 10 years. But in all fairness to him, mistakes should be judged with execution in mind.

Remember the heat that Switzer caught for going for it, back to back, on 4th down and failing? If there was a bread and butter play for the offense, that was it and they failed to execute it properly both times. Do you think the players faulted him? Or maybe themselves for the lack of execution and not rewarding his confidence in them.

Whether you have confidence in him or not it was time for Linehan to go. And I do not know what other options they considered but this guy had coach written all over him as a young player and I think he's worth the risk. Now, whether a HC in the last year of his contract agrees with that, don't know.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think he's saying a 3rd year guy isn't going to take on the OC and jack with the plays he calls. I do believe that Linehan had a pretty tight leash on Prescott.
Thanks I was about to start drinking so I could understand. Lol. One thing I liked about having a veteran like Romo is that if he didn’t like what Linehan called then he would just change it.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Thanks I was about to start drinking so I could understand. Lol. One thing I liked about having a veteran like Romo is that if he didn’t like what Linehan called then he would just change it.

thats what im hoping moore brings, listening to the players

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he learned to do that with Garrett before Linehan. Some QB's are just in tune more with reading defenses and some never really do it and don't stay a starter. How many times have you seen a QB force the ball to his hot read because the D fooled him?

They used to jack with Romo too. They'd get him thinking the 8th man is up and drop into coverage at the snap. That was the main reason he'd wait until the last minute to get the snap.

The question I have about this offense is will DC's feel the need to double Cooper? If Moore and Prescott can manage to bring that about by establishing him early, I like the options with Gallup, Austin and Cobb actually better than any tome since Owens was a Cowboy. I didn't think they took advantage enough with Dez catching doubles except when they had Robinson.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
thats what im hoping moore brings, listening to the players
There is the unusual circumstance that Moore was one of them. Don't know if the Cowboys have had that since Dan Reeves was a player/coach for Landry. All of the vets know him and I would not be surprised if Booger didn't talk to some of the key players about this move when they were considering it.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Lots more in breaking routes than Dak throws.
Yes..

Timing throws, too.

Dak sort of is a straight-line thrower

His college career was more run option and throw if the guy is open.

Not throw him open.

That's pretty hard to change to I would think.

We will see.

Good observation.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Whst do you expect from a first year OC. He obviously isn’t going to come out with a whole new playbook and if he does there would be a huge learning curve.

I do think there will be some wrinkles put in. Maybe more motion and misdirection used. They say he will bring in some fresh new ideas and JJ says that’s exactly what he wants.

With a fresh and hopefully healthy O-Line and a star RB playing in a contract year I hope he keeps the smash mouth element and stays run first. But wondering what you all think he is going to bring to the pass game.

He will be calling the plays and JG has no new contract and his job could be completely relying on how well Moore does.

I have heard more than 1 ex Cowboy WR saying Linehan ran the same pass plays and lined everyone up in the same formations. Even Cooper was getting tired of the same plays.

How much do you think he shakes it up in his first year.

LOL...Wish I would have seen this thread sooner....

You all need to run out and buy a bag of these before the season starts because your not goona recognize the offense from the Linehan bufoonery.

hqdefault.jpg

ShiningStar

Reaction score
LOL...Wish I would have seen this thread sooner....

You all need to run out and buy a bag of these before the season starts because your not goona recognize the offense from the Linehan bufoonery.

hqdefault.jpg

is that you after betting KM would be the starter?

Aven8

Reaction score
If he’s as smart as they say he is get the ball to Zeke and Cooper. Our two best players.

Dre11

Reaction score
For three years? You can't pretend it was a one game problem. It was systemic over several years.

Nah, I saw it.

And if it was only the one WR slipping post-game then I'd chalk it up as me misinterpreting. But that's not the case, you can't put your fingers in your ear and pretend everything is okay.

Dez has said something, Beasley has, TW has made comments and so has Butler. This fits with Amari Cooper's comments in the heat of the moment. A guy that has only just arrived, and wants to have a long-term future at the organization, has a vested interest in walking back his comments. In my eyes that doesn't hide his true feelings which is what all our WR said under Linehan and what Cooper said without thinking on game day.

No what it you have here is people reading into it what they want, saying a team is sitting on a route doesn't mean it was predictable, they were looking for it, but it didn't mean that's where the ball was going, it also doesn't mean you stop calling them, doesn't mean they weren't setting them up for a double move. All teams are going to defense what they see on film.

DanA

Reaction score
No what it you have here is people reading into it what they want, saying a team is sitting on a route doesn't mean it was predictable, they were looking for it, but it didn't mean that's where the ball was going, it also doesn't mean you stop calling them, doesn't mean they weren't setting them up for a double move. All teams are going to defense what they see on film.

In isolation, I’d agree. Looking at a body of work post Romo I’d argue we were too predictable just as our entire WR department has complained.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he’s as smart as they say he is get the ball to Zeke and Cooper. Our two best players.

That's the easy thing any coordinator can do. The key is involving the others and doing it all in a way that the defense has difficulty reading.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I have no expectations for Moore, due to his inexperience.

If he becomes a pleasant surprise, I'll be delighted . . .

but first of all, he'll be obliged prove himself. ;)

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
What's funny is most wanted him gone as QBC, but now he'll be a genius OC.

GMO415

Reaction score
He can't cry "I'm doing more with less." This is one of thee most talented offense Dallas has had in a long time.