Twitter: What to make of a corner with 11 INTs and most yards allowed?

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I'd be interested to compare and contrast the yardage Diggs gave up pre and post Tank. When Tank got back, the front 7 changed the game for our secondary.

Without a pass rush, it's hard to stay in coverage for 5-6 seconds. It just is. But with a pass rush:

Last night's catch was the only one he's given up to Scary Terry in both matchups. Terry is a really good receiver too.

Our front 7 is the key.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Pretty sure they account for that when doing the math.

No they don't.. because they can't.. They have no clue what the coverage was or who was assigned to whom. Diggs has shut down the opponents' #1 receiver a number of times this year.. but sometimes they are in zone and he runs over once the ball is thrown and some nerd assigns those yards to him. It's horse bleep. Diggs is one of the best corners in the game.. Use your eyes.. screw PFF.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Somethings are just fluky. I agree this is a strange combination but the deep pass last night that I assume went against Diggs isn't a completion 95% of the time. The receiver managed to shove the safety at exactly the instant to knock him down and then grab the ball at arms length to shield it from Diggs. If Diggs doesn't think the safety is going to be able to make a play on the ball, he goes harder at breaking up the play IMO. I tipped my hat to receiver & to lady luck.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I question how those yards come about. What coverages we were in, etc..

Yards mean nothing if the opposing team isn't putting up points.

terra

Reaction score
No they don't.. because they can't.. They have no clue what the coverage was or who was assigned to whom. Diggs has shut down the opponents' #1 receiver a number of times this year.. but sometimes they are in zone and he runs over once the ball is thrown and some nerd assigns those yards to him. It's horse bleep. Diggs is one of the best corners in the game.. Use your eyes.. screw PFF.
EXACTLY. They CANNOT know what the D was - they can GUESS but they cannot know. So anyone trying to assign blame is dealing from a stacked deck.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coming in late here, I'm sure this has been pointed out already. Diggs' coverage ability has continued to improve all season. Where he relied on making up the distance on many of the early interceptions, he often also gave up a lot of yardage. He now seems to be much improved with his tight coverage skills.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
How stupid of a take is this? Take away all of x players good plays and they all suck
I knew you'd say that lol

Anyways, he's gave up the most yards of anybody this year, that's bad, but he's also got 11 INTs, that's good.

I don't suggest taking anything away. He has done what he has done. He's on the extreme of both sides.

Swagger

Reaction score
This is not a shot at Diggs as it doesn't even seem right to me that he's given up the most yardage. I don't know how you can accomplish that without it being painfully obvious on the field. He doesn't seem to me like a completion waiting to happen. Not at all.

But it's unacceptable to give up the most yards.

11 interceptions is also undeniable. That is special.

It's the oddest year I've seen from a Cowboy and I honestly don't know how to feel about it.
I had a similar dilemma. Given we finally have a good pass rush on a consistent basis, I think we just enjoy the ride with Diggs rolling the dice as it has been more feast than famine thus far. With a weaker pass rush I would prefer someone like Jones.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Don’t overthink it. 11 picks and a bunch of yards is light years ahead of Byron and his zero picks. Turnovers are game changers. It feeds momentum and confidence and energy. All things good teams need to win.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I'm glad he's on the team. He's easily our best corner and a game-changer. But he's also not the best all around corner, either.

aikemirv

Reaction score
This is not a shot at Diggs as it doesn't even seem right to me that he's given up the most yardage. I don't know how you can accomplish that without it being painfully obvious on the field. He doesn't seem to me like a completion waiting to happen. Not at all.

It's the oddest year I've seen from a Cowboy and I honestly don't know how to feel about it.
He is a gambler who likes to bait the Qb-

"but that is the nature of being the bait"

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

To me it seems like he's improved in coverage. He reminds me somewhat of Everson Walls. In Walls' rookie season, he was getting numerous interceptions. In fact, he had the same number as Diggs at this point. I remember Walls getting burned some, but he did improve in coverage. I'm just going by my general impressions, but I saw him make some good saves against completions.

slick325

Reaction score
He is clearly a gambler and giving up the yards is the reason QBs keep trying him in the first place. I don't want to say that he is baiting them but it seems to be the result of giving up the yards.

Strange stats indeed.