What Tony Pollard’s Numbers Make Clear

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only game Pollard has started he had 69 yards and 2 TDs on 12 carries, and caught another 6 passes for 63 yards and all that was with Andy Dalton at QB.

Zeke ain't all that anymore. It's not 2016. Zeke should still get carries, absolutely, but Pollard needs to get his too.
Lol, one game?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only game Pollard has started he had 69 yards and 2 TDs on 12 carries, and caught another 6 passes for 63 yards and all that was with Andy Dalton at QB.

Zeke ain't all that anymore. It's not 2016. Zeke should still get carries, absolutely, but Pollard needs to get his too.

and he is at least thus far. For me I want to see this team win period. I expect when guys come into the game that they are productive. I love having Pollard and I think he brings certain things to the table that help this team out. I feel the same about Zeke and what he brings, people blow off the all around play of Zeke like vs tampa and him hanging in blocking, well picking up blitzer up the middle may not be glamorous but it sure as hell keeps Dak upright and healthy. It is a long season and before people write off Zeke you may want to wait and allow the season to play out.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He's 1 for 1.

He performed the one time he was asked to be "the man". Do you have a problem with him making the most of his opportunities? Because judging by your responds it seems that bothers you for some reason.
Why would it bother me? I couldn't possibly care less. You may want to reevaluate your judging methods.
I'll never understand why some fans feel the need to suggest anyone is bothered. There's probably something there, but I don't really care.

I want both RBs involved because it gives us the best chance to win games.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a million dollar question ... what took Kellen Moore so freakin' long to finally start utilizing Pollard into the
offense such as this yea.. !!??

Hes' been here 3 years and only just now making him a true exploited weapon in this offense, more than just 2-3 touches per game. I think in one game in 2019, Pollard did not even get a single carry.
Jerry Jones.

ondaedg

Reaction score
FIRST OF ALL, LET ME SAY THIS OVER THE LOUD SPEAKER: ATTENTION ALL ZEKE SUPER FANS- THIS IS NOT AN ANTI-ZEKE THREAD. THANK YOU.

One of the bright spots that has clearly emerged this season is the development of Tony Pollard into a bonafide offensive weapon. So much so he can no longer just be a “rest opportunity” for Zeke. Pollard has shown that he can be a real asset in multiple situations.

I will go a step further: Tony Pollard is now a weapon that must be a part of every game plan.

Am I saying Zeke is not necessary? Absolutely NOT. Zeke is still a valuable offensive weapon too. Two things have changed. 1. Pollard has developed into a potential big play back. 2. Zeke is not what he was in 2016-18. He still has value. But he is no longer the “bell cow” 25 carries per game back, and he does not seem to have the burst to a big play he once did. Zeke still has value though in several areas including power runs, blocking and some passing routes.

It’s also clear Kellen Moore is recognizing Pollard’s increased value. Compare game one to game to game two regarding Pollard’s work load:
  • Game 1 vs TB- 7 touches. 3 rushes for 14 yards, 4 catches for 29 yards. 43 total yds
  • Game 2 vs LAC- 16 touches- 13 carries for 109 yds, 3 catches for 31 yds. 140 total yds.
Some of the numbers will vary depending on who we play. TB was certainly better than LAC against the run.

Looking at comparisons between Zeke and Pollard and explosive plays of 20 yds plus the last two years, the numbers speak for themselves.
  • Ezekiel Elliott - Number of plays of 20 yds+
    • 2016-2018- 30 plays of 20+ yds
    • 2019-20- 3 plays of 20+ yds
    • Notice the drop off after 2018.
  • Tony Pollard - Number of plays of 20 yds+
    • 2019-20- 8 plays of 20+ yds
    • 2021- already has 2 plays of 20+ yds
    • Last two years, Pollard has 10 plays of 20+ compared to 3 for Zeke.
Once again, not saying Zeke is no good or shouldn’t play. Just saying Pollard is more of a big play threat and needs to get more touches per game. The numbers are clear.

Even Zeke fans can recognize the value Pollard brings and I’m one of them. Different backs are effective against different teams. Zeke may be dominant against team A and Pollard may be effective against team B. Plus the value of changing the pace and putting fresh legs in the backfield can’t be denied.

it’s also arguable that our OLine peaked 3 years ago and they’re not as effective as they were. Right now the Titans OLine are the Cowboys of 2016-2018. Henry doesn’t get touched until he’s three+ yards past the line of scrimmage which is unbelievable. Zeke may have lost a step but he is in shape and looks quick to me. The difference is he is having to break tackles now at the LOS rather than 3yds past it.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
FIRST OF ALL, LET ME SAY THIS OVER THE LOUD SPEAKER: ATTENTION ALL ZEKE SUPER FANS- THIS IS NOT AN ANTI-ZEKE THREAD. THANK YOU.

One of the bright spots that has clearly emerged this season is the development of Tony Pollard into a bonafide offensive weapon. So much so he can no longer just be a “rest opportunity” for Zeke. Pollard has shown that he can be a real asset in multiple situations.

I will go a step further: Tony Pollard is now a weapon that must be a part of every game plan.

Am I saying Zeke is not necessary? Absolutely NOT. Zeke is still a valuable offensive weapon too. Two things have changed. 1. Pollard has developed into a potential big play back. 2. Zeke is not what he was in 2016-18. He still has value. But he is no longer the “bell cow” 25 carries per game back, and he does not seem to have the burst to a big play he once did. Zeke still has value though in several areas including power runs, blocking and some passing routes.

It’s also clear Kellen Moore is recognizing Pollard’s increased value. Compare game one to game to game two regarding Pollard’s work load:
  • Game 1 vs TB- 7 touches. 3 rushes for 14 yards, 4 catches for 29 yards. 43 total yds
  • Game 2 vs LAC- 16 touches- 13 carries for 109 yds, 3 catches for 31 yds. 140 total yds.
Some of the numbers will vary depending on who we play. TB was certainly better than LAC against the run.

Looking at comparisons between Zeke and Pollard and explosive plays of 20 yds plus the last two years, the numbers speak for themselves.
Once again, not saying Zeke is no good or shouldn’t play. Just saying Pollard is more of a big play threat and needs to get more touches per game. The numbers are clear.

As I posted in another thread (with the actual # of times each back ran which way), against the Chargers, Zeke carried the ball right of center only 3 times, including his TD. Pollard carried the ball left of center only 4 times and was mostly unproductive on those runs.

Pollard simply had better running lanes on Sunday. Had Zeke run through the gaps Tony had, he'd have had a monster day.

ondaedg

Reaction score
and he is at least thus far. For me I want to see this team win period. I expect when guys come into the game that they are productive. I love having Pollard and I think he brings certain things to the table that help this team out. I feel the same about Zeke and what he brings, people blow off the all around play of Zeke like vs tampa and him hanging in blocking, well picking up blitzer up the middle may not be glamorous but it sure as hell keeps Dak upright and healthy. It is a long season and before people write off Zeke you may want to wait and allow the season to play out.

Yep. Devin White had 9 sacks from the mlb position last season which is insane. Zeke stopped him in his tracks on nearly every one of his blitzes. Not sure there is another back who could have done that as effectively as Zeke did.

quickccc

Reaction score
As I posted in another thread (with the actual # of times each back ran which way), against the Chargers, Zeke carried the ball right of center only 3 times, including his TD. Pollard carried the ball left of center only 4 times and was mostly unproductive on those runs.

Pollard simply had better running lanes on Sunday. Had Zeke run through the gaps Tony had, he'd have had a monster day.

Huh ? :huh:

..so when the OL saw No.# 21, they decided the helll with zeke lets slack up ..but when No.20 got into th game, that motivated and revved them up to block much better ? ok, Gotcha ...

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Huh ? :huh:

..so when the OL saw No.# 21, they decided the helll with zeke lets slack up ..but when No.20 got into th game, that motivated and revved them up to block much better ? ok, Gotcha ...

That isn't what I wrote. I simply counted which back ran which way on each play, runs that were decided for them by whoever called the plays.

You think the O line on the left is the same as on the right? Okay. Gotcha.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
No worries- I didn’t think you weren’t bashing Pollard. And I agree - as I stated in the OP. It’s not that Pollard needs to “take over”. It’s just that he needs to be featured every week. His numbers show he’s more explosive. But he can’t handle the job full time.
Saying Pollard needs to be "featured" every week is just a low key way of saying he should take over. When someone is called the featured back, that usually means the lead RB. If you're gonna say it, you might as well own it. Just sayin'.....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You have your opinion, I agree with Church that coming in and subbing is a lot different than being the #1 RB. Yes we saw Troy Hambrick look great until he became the #1 RB it is different despite your believe. In terms of the splitting the load, McCarthy said they were doing that prior to the season starting, they did not want to put as much of the load on Zeke with the hope that he would be fresher thought out the season. I have no bone to pick with Pollard, I like him a lot and I hope he continues to produce and help this team. You on the other hand have been down on Zeke for a while so this is nothing new. We played 1 game out of 17 where we actually ran the ball and based on that you have the answers? lol yeah right

Yeah let’s ignore the mountain of evidence of guys who keep coming in and having success in this league and narrow it down to Troy Hambrick.

Sorry.. The RB position is the easiest position in football and have the opportunity and getting volume creates success for just about all of them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah let’s ignore the mountain of evidence of guys who keep coming in and having success in this league and narrow it down to Troy Hambrick.

Sorry.. The RB position is the easiest position in football and have the opportunity and getting volume creates success for just about all of them.

Mountain of evidence? lol Coming in and subbing is different if you can't figure that out maybe you should stop presenting yourself as some expert because you are not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Saying Pollard needs to be "featured" every week is just a low key way of saying he should take over. When someone is called the featured back, that usually means the lead RB. If you're gonna say it, you might as well own it. Just sayin'.....

Dallas can just run a split backfield. The problem is will they be willing to keep Zeke knowing they have to split his touches?

I don’t think you can validate it.

Pollard, imo, would be a top 10 NFL RB if he got used like a Alvin Kamara gets used.

Our blocking, his vision, and acceleration making him a big threat out of the backfield.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mountain of evidence? lol Coming in and subbing is different if you can't figure that out maybe you should stop presenting yourself as some expert because you are not.

Im talking about no names getting the old and suddenly they are producing at a high level.

RB is the easiest position in football to fill and there is probably 50 NFL FA’s sitting at home on Sunday that could rush for 100 yards with 20 carries.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Reminds me of when Hambrick was supposedly better than Emmett. That dint work out very well
Don’t even have to go back that far. This is Felix and Marion all over again. Felix was that I’m high dynamic player who can break one at moment(Pollard) and MBIII was the bruiser, do it all back(Zeke) everybody was clamoring for Felix to be more feature and then the Cowboys let MBIII leave and Felix got all the carries and it was a disaster.

Zeke is overpaid but he’s needed and probabaly IMO much more important than Pollard because his blocking assignment. Dak got on a play already this season which had me holding my breath because Pollard couldn’t pick up a blocking assignment.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Here is a poll right now asking the question of who is better Zeke or Pollard.

Pollard is dominating the votes right now lol.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Im talking about no names getting the old and suddenly they are producing at a high level.

RB is the easiest position in football to fill and there is probably 50 NFL FA’s sitting at home on Sunday that could rush for 100 yards with 20 carries.

Now you sound like Jerry with his 500 coaches comments. lol

I would venture there are a lot of RB who bust out in this league as well. The position is not just running, to become an all around RB you run, you block and you go out on routs. You grind out tough yards in short yardage situation. We are week 2 and people act as if after 1 game where we used the running game that they have all the answers, I can promise you if this team gets to where they want to be in the end, Zeke will play a big role in getting us there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is no way this wasn't going to become anti-zeke thread. lol

But, numbers over many years don't lie. Zeke got his money and he's been a drag on the offense since. Pollard has that burst and he's the better player right now. We can bring Zeke in to block.