What was the worst coaching move by Garrett in the 2018-2019 season?

Romonater

Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.

Not fixing the same old issues with the offense before the season. Remaining predictable and ignoring the chess side of football.

We're a completely player dependent team and get nothing from our offensive coaches.

They thought they could scheme guys open and figured out quickly they aren't good enough coaches to do that and had to trade away our #1 pick for Amari Cooper.

The morons identified Dez as the problem. So here we sit at the end of this year and Dez's complaints about the offense are still the main stream opinion of everyone and was validated with the release of Linehan.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Someone should start a thread titled Why Do The Garrett Haters Start A Thread EVERY Day To Just Rehash Their Hatred.

There is nothing to talk about.

There is no draft to look forward to because Oakland has our pick.

The offense is most likely going to be the same if they name Kellen Moore the OC.

We basically skip Free Agency.

Everyone besides Jerry and some homers have identified the problem with our coach and that is what fans want to talk about because there is just nothing else right now. 10+ years with Garrett has brought a lot of frustration to the fan base because people are tired of the same old offseason and results from this coach.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There is nothing to talk about.

There is no draft to look forward to because Oakland has our pick.

The offense is most likely going to be the same if they name Kellen Moore the OC.

We basically skip Free Agency.

Everyone besides Jerry and some homers have identified the problem with our coach and that is what fans want to talk about because there is just nothing else right now. 10+ years with Garrett has brought a lot of frustration to the fan base because people are tired of the same old offseason and results from this coach.

Gee the last time I checked there are SEVEN rounds in the draft not just ONE. So all the players drafted after round one are junk and every team should just tell the league to have just one round. The Cowboys in the past have pretty much skipped free agency because of the 90's team that was built before there was a cap but when the cap started it put the Cowboys in cap he11 until now they finally have gotten out and even at that there are players the Cowboys want to resign and/or extend that will use up that cap.

You just want to get your daily fix of hating Garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My first thought was hiring Paul Alexander to screw up the offensive line.

But upon further reflection, I think sticking with Scott Linehan was the bigger mistake.

That led to:

• Kellen Moore and an unprepared quarterback coach
  • Frank Pollack being fired which resulted in Alexander's hire
  • Dez Bryant being realized and the notorious receiver-by-committee decision
  • The firing of multiple other assistants
  • Another wasted year of a coordinator who didn't understand his own team
That was the big one for me, and I'm glad for that change if nothing else.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Listening to fans.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The lack of attention at the WR position early on. I felt a large reason why we started at 3-5 was because of this. Notice when we grabbed Cooper we were nearly an instant success and certainly a more dangerous offense. It took pressure off the run game, Prescott and the TE situation.

So, while I would have wanted to make moves earlier, I'm not whining about giving up a draft pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Gee the last time I checked there are SEVEN rounds in the draft not just ONE. So all the players drafted after round one are junk and every team should just tell the league to have just one round. The Cowboys in the past have pretty much skipped free agency because of the 90's team that was built before there was a cap but when the cap started it put the Cowboys in cap he11 until now they finally have gotten out and even at that there are players the Cowboys want to resign and/or extend that will use up that cap.

You just want to get your daily fix of hating Garrett.

I didn't say that. Nobody enjoys the draft more then me. I'm talking about from a pure entertainment standpoint.

The draft is not as exciting without the first round pick.

The Cowboys skipping Free Agency is not because of their cap. It's their philosophy.

It was an opinion that building the team through the draft was the best way but we've seen the elite teams go out and sign big free agents and we've also seen teams like the Rams, Eagles, and Bronco's get themselves over the hump like we are currently in by supplementing their roster through free agency with the top tier FA's.

Watching Jerry and his family go on vacation when Free Agency starts is just a slap in the face to the fan base.

The Rams are playing in a few days because they decided to sign players and not go on vacation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can you describe which decisions were his, specifically?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I didn't say that. Nobody enjoys the draft more then me. I'm talking about from a pure entertainment standpoint.

The draft is not as exciting without the first round pick.

The Cowboys skipping Free Agency is not because of their cap. It's their philosophy.

It was an opinion that building the team through the draft was the best way but we've seen the elite teams go out and sign big free agents and we've also seen teams like the Rams, Eagles, and Bronco's get themselves over the hump like we are currently in by supplementing their roster through free agency with the top tier FA's.

Watching Jerry and his family go on vacation when Free Agency starts is just a slap in the face to the fan base.

The Rams are playing in a few days because they decided to sign players and not go on vacation.
On the other hand, with few exceptions, we haven't been very successful in FA, so maybe they decided to use our history rather than the history of other teams.

DFWJC

Reaction score
My guess is that he made less bad real-time decisions than most HCs.

The complaint with him lately has been the overall direction of the offense.