What was the worst coaching move by Garrett in the 2018-2019 season?

Tommy

Reaction score
I didn't say that. Nobody enjoys the draft more then me. I'm talking about from a pure entertainment standpoint.

The draft is not as exciting without the first round pick.

The Cowboys skipping Free Agency is not because of their cap. It's their philosophy.

It was an opinion that building the team through the draft was the best way but we've seen the elite teams go out and sign big free agents and we've also seen teams like the Rams, Eagles, and Bronco's get themselves over the hump like we are currently in by supplementing their roster through free agency with the top tier FA's.

Watching Jerry and his family go on vacation when Free Agency starts is just a slap in the face to the fan base.

The Rams are playing in a few days because they decided to sign players and not go on vacation.
I thought the reason we are not playing is because we have Garrett and the Rams are playing because they have McVay?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Someone should start a thread titled Why Do The Garrett Haters Start A Thread EVERY Day To Just Rehash Their Hatred.

Yeah heaven forbid fans speak out against our terrible coaching staff and a coach that was so bad at coordinating an offense that it was stripped away from him.

But they are just "haters". Got it.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Not fixing the same old issues with the offense before the season. Remaining predictable and ignoring the chess side of football.

We're a completely player dependent team and get nothing from our offensive coaches.

They thought they could scheme guys open and figured out quickly they aren't good enough coaches to do that and had to trade away our #1 pick for Amari Cooper.

The morons identified Dez as the problem. So here we sit at the end of this year and Dez's complaints about the offense are still the main stream opinion of everyone and was validated with the release of Linehan.

Dez was a problem.Maybe not as big as it was made out to be. But he was clearly a problem. His inability to improve his game, and transform his style to adapt to his declining skills.

They schemed cooper open just fine. and they seemed to sceme Gallup just fine at the end of the yr when teams started to double Cooper on every play. What happened is Beasley, Hurns and Thompson along with Williams arent very good. Beasley is very good in the slot if the play is designed to go to him. If it isnt the guy just doesnt get open.If you want somebody to blame for the wr core at the start of the yr blame it on the guys signing players not on Garrett.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thought the reason we are not playing is because we have Garrett and the Rams are playing because they have McVay?

That is also a factor.

With Garrett we are more talent dependent then they are though.

Football is a game of inches. Coaching, drafting, free agency need to all be on point. We have 1 of the 3. We draft well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dez was a problem.Maybe not as big as it was made out to be. But he was clearly a problem. His inability to improve his game, and transform his style to adapt to his declining skills.

They schemed cooper open just fine. and they seemed to sceme Gallup just fine at the end of the yr when teams started to double Cooper on every play. What happened is Beasley, Hurns and Thompson along with Williams arent very good. Beasley is very good in the slot if the play is designed to go to him. If it isnt the guy just doesnt get open.If you want to blame the wr at the start of the yr blame it on the guys signing players not on Garrett.

They didn't scheme Cooper open.

Dez was asked to run 9 routes over and over.

Dez is a catch and run receiver. He's always been one of the toughest receivers to bring down with the ball in his hands and the Cowboys coaches relegated him to nothing but 9 routes.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I didn't say that. Nobody enjoys the draft more then me. I'm talking about from a pure entertainment standpoint.

The draft is not as exciting without the first round pick.

The Cowboys skipping Free Agency is not because of their cap. It's their philosophy.

It was an opinion that building the team through the draft was the best way but we've seen the elite teams go out and sign big free agents and we've also seen teams like the Rams, Eagles, and Bronco's get themselves over the hump like we are currently in by supplementing their roster through free agency with the top tier FA's.

Watching Jerry and his family go on vacation when Free Agency starts is just a slap in the face to the fan base.

The Rams are playing in a few days because they decided to sign players and not go on vacation.

Im very excited because with the 24th pick in the nfl draft dallas got Amari Cooper so its just as exciting.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Im very excited because with the 24th pick in the nfl draft dallas got Amari Cooper so its just as exciting.

Not for the offseason it's not.

I'm glad we have him but the offseason is going to be boring because of it.

Again. I made the point based on an entertainment perspective because the poster was asking why people complain about Garrett daily and I said because there is nothing else to talk about.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Loading the box on 4th in one in the divisional round and running straight up the gap between Looney and Williams who were assigned to block the best player in the NFL and Suh.

erod

Reaction score
4th-and-1 in Houston.

Letting Linehan run 3-tight-end sets in short yardage way too much.

Not insisting on getting Zeke downfield more in the passing game.

Not stuffing a cork in Jerry's mouth for another season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listening to fans.

giphy.gif

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
They didn't scheme Cooper open.

Dez was asked to run 9 routes over and over.

Dez is a catch and run receiver. He's always been one of the toughest receivers to bring down with the ball in his hands and the Cowboys coaches relegated him to nothing but 9 routes.

If you think the team didnt scheme cooper open then you have no clue what you are watching. Did he cut off routes yes, because thats what WRs are supposed to do when their QB is in trouble or they read a certain defense. But there were plenty of plays that theyschemed him open. Did they not scheme him open for the first TD vs the Rams?They schemed him and got him lined up on a S for a easy TD.

Dez was asked to do that because thats all his could do.

Yes we know Dez was tough to bring down, but Dez was a drop machines, and a lazy route guy. He got away with it early in his career because he was just superior athletically. But when his athletic ability was declining he never worked to get his route running better. Ill take you to the tim Browns career. He wasnt a good route runner early in his career. Thats something he worked on over the yrs. and that prolonged his career. Players and coaches have all be on record with subtle shots at Dez and his route running. hell guys in his corner like carter and primetimeand Irving have all said the same thing.

Dez had 3 great yrs, but his career was wasted by himself. Because he wasnt smart enough to put in the work to get better. and thats all he is, a wasted career. He couldve been a HOF player, but instead he will always just be a wasted career.

visionary

Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.

That's easy

NOT QUITTING before the season started

John813

Reaction score
Personnel wise, Paul Alexander hiring.
Playcall wise, I think not allow Dak to use his feet more hurt at times.
Making him a pocket QB got him sacked 58 times, I doubt some read option/roll outs would of hurt any more.
He's a big, well built QB. Not saying run him 10-15 times a game but at his age, his running ability is a plus.

Now of course that can fall on Linehan/Stephen Jones.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Not for the offseason it's not.

I'm glad we have him but the offseason is going to be boring because of it.

Again. I made the point based on an entertainment perspective because the poster was asking why people complain about Garrett daily and I said because there is nothing else to talk about.

Its only boring for you because the team isnt going to do what you want them to do. Get that frame of mind out of you or you will always feel like this. theres plenty to talk about you just want to gripe about something you want to happen but wont.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Its only boring for you because the team isnt going to do what you want them to do. Get that frame of mind out of you or you will always feel like this. theres plenty to talk about you just want to gripe about something you want to happen but wont.

We're both just stating our opinions. You're just stating your opinion like it's a fact. I know mine is an opinion and I would say most people agree with my opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you think the team didnt scheme cooper open then you have no clue what you are watching. Did he cut off routes yes, because thats what WRs are supposed to do when their QB is in trouble or they read a certain defense. But there were plenty of plays that theyschemed him open. Did they not scheme him open for the first TD vs the Rams?They schemed him and got him lined up on a S for a easy TD.

Dez was asked to do that because thats all his could do.

Yes we know Dez was tough to bring down, but Dez was a drop machines, and a lazy route guy. He got away with it early in his career because he was just superior athletically. But when his athletic ability was declining he never worked to get his route running better. Ill take you to the tim Browns career. He wasnt a good route runner early in his career. Thats something he worked on over the yrs. and that prolonged his career. Players and coaches have all be on record with subtle shots at Dez and his route running. hell guys in his corner like carter and primetimeand Irving have all said the same thing.

Dez had 3 great yrs, but his career was wasted by himself. Because he wasnt smart enough to put in the work to get better. and thats all he is, a wasted career. He couldve been a HOF player, but instead he will always just be a wasted career.

You can say whatever you want about Dez being dumb or whatever but the offense has always been a problem and he was validated with his opinion when Linehan was fired.

As dumb as Dez was in your opinion he was smart enough to break the TD record for receptions before he hit 30 years old and that is with an AWFUL offensive coaching staff that never used him to his full potential.

Just like TO, and Miles for a couple years before him. He ran his 9 routes clearing out space for others and when the defense gave him his favorable matchup then they might throw him the ball.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.
Coaching. (JK :p...sorta)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
On the other hand, with few exceptions, we haven't been very successful in FA, so maybe they decided to use our history rather than the history of other teams.

I hope this isn't their reasoning. They hadn't been successful in trading 1st round picks for WRs either, but 3rd time is a charm I suppose!

I don't think they've gone on a Free Agency spending spree since 2005/2006. Time to re-think their strategy after 12 years.