What was the worst coaching move by Garrett in the 2018-2019 season?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You can say whatever you want about Dez being dumb or whatever but the offense has always been a problem and he was validated with his opinion when Linehan was fired.

As dumb as Dez was in your opinion he was smart enough to break the TD record for receptions before he hit 30 years old and that is with an AWFUL offensive coaching staff that never used him to his full potential.

Just like TO, and Miles for a couple years before him. He ran his 9 routes clearing out space for others and when the defense gave him his favorable matchup then they might throw him the ball.
dont ever put DEz in Owens category. The only thing he was similar to with Owens is they both didnt know when to shut up.

You talk about the 9 route so much. and this was the majority of his routes because as many people in the nfl have said this is the only route he can run consistently. Think even Josh Norman said this in a interview. Think it was something like his under routes didnt scare anybody because he looped his routes instead of cutting so that made it easy for them to cover. so all they had to do was cover aggressive were deep routes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dont ever put DEz in Owens category. The only thing he was similar to with Owens is they both didnt know when to shut up.

You talk about the 9 route so much. and this was the majority of his routes because as many people in the nfl have said this is the only route he can run consistently. Think even Josh Norman said this in a interview. Think it was something like his under routes didnt scare anybody because he looped his routes instead of cutting so that made it easy for them to cover. so all they had to do was cover aggressive were deep routes.

Dez would've been a HOF WR but Dak and Garrett put an end to that.

Cole Beasley said himself nobody ever taught them how to run routes and they were praising San Jay Lal for that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Dez would've been a HOF WR but Dak and Garrett put an end to that.

lol, no dez legs put a end to that. his yearly high ankle sprain injury did him in. His route running put an end to it. this coming froma guy who was a huge Dez fan and who did graphic work for him. He's a cool guy, but Dallas saved him from being the next Plaxico Burress or Josh Gordon before even Josh Gordon

The team saved him from himself, he felt entitled.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
lol, no dez legs put a end to that. his yearly high ankle sprain injury did him in. His route running put an end to it. this coming froma guy who was a huge Dez fan and who did graphic work for him. He's a cool guy, but Dallas saved him from being the next Plaxico Burress or Josh Gordon before even Josh Gordon

The team saved him from himself, he felt entitled.

I just don't blame his route running. I think that was a myth. Is he Amari Cooper? No but who is.. Cooper might be the best route runner I've ever seen. Is that what is required? Being at Coopers level?

Dez is a bully. He's not a tactician. Just line him up, create matchups, and most importantly get him the ball.

The Cowboys coaches made it too easy to stop what Dez likes to do because defense know what we are doing schematically.

The Cowboys have a predictability problem and once again it was validated with the removal of Linehan.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because they buy garbage.

The 2 biggest ways to acquire talent is through the draft and FA. They have to be good at both of those. Not just 1.
Agreed, but if they suck at FA, I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agreed, but if they suck at FA, I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.

I understand your view but I just don't think it's what is best.

I'd rather fix the problem. They drafted terrible for years. They fixed the problem. Now fix the FA problem.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I understand your view but I just don't think it's what is best.

I'd rather fix the problem. They drafted terrible for years. They fixed the problem. Now fix the FA problem.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd definitely prefer to improve in that area, rather than give up on it. Maybe they need to actually hire someone specifically for FA acquisitions.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd definitely prefer to improve in that area, rather than give up on it. Maybe they need to actually hire someone specifically for FA acquisitions.

I think they know who is good. They just don't want to spend and would rather dumpster dive.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not fixing the same old issues with the offense before the season. Remaining predictable and ignoring the chess side of football.

We're a completely player dependent team and get nothing from our offensive coaches.

They thought they could scheme guys open and figured out quickly they aren't good enough coaches to do that and had to trade away our #1 pick for Amari Cooper.

The morons identified Dez as the problem. So here we sit at the end of this year and Dez's complaints about the offense are still the main stream opinion of everyone and was validated with the release of Linehan.

Nobody said Dez was the issue. Everyone just said he was an overpaid, has been, cry baby. Which he was. Getting rid of him was a great move and that was confirmed. Getting rid of Dez allowed us to go out and trade for a guy like Cooper.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.

Worst move was the one that never happened. Trying to sign Sammy Watkins to a huge contract of 17 million a year.

THAT being said here are the others:

-Hiring Alexander as Oline coach and changing up the techniques
-Receiver by committee with a bunch of scrubs
-NOT getting any REAL TE's in here after Witten left
-NOT changing much about the offense or scheme
-Not having a viable young RB behind Zeke

But lets go over the good things he did this year because there were several:

-Firing Alexander mid stream
-brining in good backup Olineman
-Trading for Cooper
-Finally getting the ball to Zeke in the passing game
-Getting rid of Dez
-Motivating the troops when we were 3-5, crying in a speech, telling them the Saints game was their SB.
-Firing Linehan (even though we already know he wanted him to stay)
-drafting and playing Gallup instead of letting him rot on the sidelines

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.
Wow some great answers on here (and some not-so-great). I can't remember a specific play because there were more than just one and one play doesn't make or break a season. Last time I checked he doesn't call plays right? The guy that does was fired, right? He obviously has input during the game planning week and the occasional 4th down play but that's it.

Last time I checked he is involved in the draft but the decision does not come down to him. He didn't give up a 1st for Cooper-Jerry did. To answer the question I would say that his in-game adjustments were extremely late. Outside of that...chew some *** on the sidelines. Not once did I see him give a beat down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nobody said Dez was the issue. Everyone just said he was an overpaid, has been, cry baby. Which he was. Getting rid of him was a great move and that was confirmed. Getting rid of Dez allowed us to go out and trade for a guy like Cooper.

And Free Agency last year proved that he was not overpaid at all.

I felt like he was overpaid until I saw guys getting 14 mill a year that are at best equal to him and they sure as heck weren’t 4 mill more a year better.

We could’ve still got Cooper. They wouldn’t have but they could have.

Cooper is playing more of T. Wills role in the offense anyways and Gallup is more of the X.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I just don't blame his route running. I think that was a myth. Is he Amari Cooper? No but who is.. Cooper might be the best route runner I've ever seen. Is that what is required? Being at Coopers level?

Dez is a bully. He's not a tactician. Just line him up, create matchups, and most importantly get him the ball.

The Cowboys coaches made it too easy to stop what Dez likes to do because defense know what we are doing schematically.

The Cowboys have a predictability problem and once again it was validated with the removal of Linehan.
Agree with some of this.

Dez needs a QB with the ability to place the ball to use his bully the receiver skillset. It was never going to work with a 'get the ball close enough' QB.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
And Free Agency last year proved that he was not overpaid at all.

That doesn't explain how few offers Dez got and the months he spent tweeting from his couch.

There was no feeding frenzy to sign him after his release. He had one good offer, turned it down, then had to wait 6 more months before signing with the Saints.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I feel as if it were not incorporating more of Dak carrying the ball against the Rams. Their Defense was able to make us one dimensional because they didn't have to account for a lot of different Offensive pressures. Allowing Dak to break the pocket and become a running threat would have changed the entire game IMO. The Defense was horrible but we only lost by 8 points. That game could have been very different if we had been able to untrack our entire Offense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That doesn't explain how few offers Dez got and the months he spent tweeting from his couch.

There was no feeding frenzy to sign him after his release. He had one good offer, turned it down, then had to wait 6 more months before signing with the Saints.

I've heard there were things that weren't made public and he could've been playing long before he did. His agency basically forced him to sign with the Saints.

I don't think Dez wanted to play or he just wasn't ready to move on from Dallas and was holding out hope.

cern

Reaction score
no one thing. just bad coaching overall. his worst game was the Houston game. poor coaching cost us that game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I feel as if it were not incorporating more of Dak carrying the ball against the Rams. Their Defense was able to make us one dimensional because they didn't have to account for a lot of different Offensive pressures. Allowing Dak to break the pocket and become a running threat would have changed the entire game IMO. The Defense was horrible but we only lost by 8 points. That game could have been very different if we had been able to untrack our entire Offense.

Dak and the offense totally change when they add pace and tempo to the offense with some spread packages.

Even Witten made the comment during our MNF game how it used to annoy him that we would wait so long before playing this style of football.

Our offensive coaches just don't have a good enough feel for the game or something.

You watch the Rams and they will get a 1st down and then run up to the line and not give the defense time to adjust.

Dak has been great in the 2 minute drill. Why they don't inject some of that throughout the game is beyond me.

They did it with Romo too though. Play slow, hope everything goes perfect, and if we get a penalty hopefully the QB can bail us out on 3rd and 9.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Not letting Linehan go before the season and then again mid-season.