What will it take for Quinn's defense to be Dominant

75boyz

Reaction score
I would add scoring pct
Keeping a team from scoring is the real key. Turnovers certainly accomplish that
Most of that we did last year
The raiders and broncos were the only games that our defense gave up enough points to say they lost the game
The 49ers only scored 23
The turnovers aren’t likely to be repeated this year since it’s very unlikely Diggs can recreate what he did last year, but I think his overall coverage will be better
The offense getting better against good teams is really a bigger key to our success than the defense
The D was pretty much top 10 in every meaningful catagory
The offense didn’t score enough to beat good teams
When you hold a playoff team to 23 you have to win that game

Totally bro.
I thought the turnover production alone would have led to one playoff win. And like you said, its HIGHLY unlikely that they can duplicate those turnover numbers again.
It sounds as though you may be somewhat similar to me in accepting that since the league is so offense favored now, that "just good enough" defense can win a lot of games nowadays while playing the better offenses. But there will always also be those superstar individual moments on defense to determine games as well though, as Donald did for the Rams.

So along with trying to duplicate last year's turnovers, my biggest concern is defensive team health. Dallas was the healthiest of all teams going into the playoffs.

And MOST, if not ALL of the recent Dallas playoff teams had problems creating turnovers OR injury concerns come playoff time. Last year they had neither yet did nothing with the opportunity.

Last edited:

TheHerd

Reaction score
Yep, good call man.
Dallas was best at forcing turnovers and tied for 14th in sacks.
I didnt check their 3rd down conversion defense.
The run stopping part was the most bothersome because the Rams did it in the playoffs a couple of years back and the 9ers kinda used that same blueprint.
The Rams kinda ran at will all game though so I think there was improvement against the 9ers. The 49er first drive on the ground was dominant but afterwards I thought the defense played "reasonably" well. Good enough to win imo.
Agree on the last point. The offense has the same issues and maybe even more pronounced. Good enough against good to poor teams, but not good enough against the very top tier.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no such thing as a “dominant” defense anymore in the NFL….and that’s the way the owners planned it. Having said that- Can Dallas have a really good defense in 2022? Perhaps.

One of the things it did well last year that is difficult to repeat was the abundance of turnovers they generated. Even though our D was much improved last year, (it had nowhere to go but up) the turnovers masked much of its lingering problems. Like not being able to stop the run as we saw in critical moments last year, especially in the lone playoff game.

I will consider this defense worthy of praise when it can get critical stops in key moments and not depend solely on turnovers as its method of getting stops. And maybe seeing a legit pass rush that doesn’t require our only defensive star and playmaker to generate it. He was worn down last year because so much was required of him. In short, Parsons needs help.

The days of a true “Doomsday” defense like the 70s or 90s, when our defense could literally impose its will on an offense and smother it, are sadly gone.

conner01

Reaction score
Totally bro.
I thought the turnover production alone would have led to one playoff win. And like you said, its HIGHLY unlikely that they can duplicate those turnover numbers again.
It sounds as though you may be somewhat similar to me in accepting that since the league is so offense favored now, that "just good enough" defense can win a lot of games nowadays while playing the better offenses. But there will always also be those superstar individual moments on defense to determine games as well though, as Donald did for the Rams.

So along with trying to duplicate last year's turnovers, my biggest concern is defensive team health. Dallas was the healthiest of all teams going into the playoffs.

And MOST, if not ALL of the recent Dallas playoff teams had problems creating turnovers OR injury concerns come playoff time. Last year they had neither yet did nothing with the opportunity.
Staying healthy has been a challenge
Obviously you can’t lose your stars but on the Oline we can’t have anyone missing

conner01

Reaction score
A carbon copy of the 85 Bears would be a good place to start, but we all know this isn't going even be considered for many more years.

Lets be honest with ourselves - the front office isn't trying to build championship teams, remaining relevant and interesting is the goal. Stay in the news and this FO is happy.
The 85 Bears won’t ever happen again
The game has just changed to much
The talent, rules and game plans are so much different today

conner01

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a “dominant” defense anymore in the NFL….and that’s the way the owners planned it. Having said that- Can Dallas have a really good defense in 2022? Perhaps.

One of the things it did well last year that is difficult to repeat was the abundance of turnovers they generated. Even though our D was much improved last year, (it had nowhere to go but up) the turnovers masked much of its lingering problems. Like not being able to stop the run as we saw in critical moments last year, especially in the lone playoff game.

I will consider this defense worthy of praise when it can get critical stops in key moments and not depend solely on turnovers as its method of getting stops. And maybe seeing a legit pass rush that doesn’t require our only defensive star and playmaker to generate it. He was worn down last year because so much was required of him. In short, Parsons needs help.

The days of a true “Doomsday” defense like the 70s or 90s, when our defense could literally impose its will on an offense and smother it, are sadly gone.
3rd down conversion rate for a defense is a hard stat to find but really tells a lot

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What will it take for this Dan Quinn's defense to be Dominant ?

Not downhill, .. not just opportunistic .. but Dominant ?

Its' exciting to have a Parsons, just as it was exciting to have a DWare.
Its exciting to be in the playoffs and run thru the NFC East opposition,.to which it's difficult to repeat per trend history
But come playoff, we're exited out of there ...because of the Defense

- Either its Aaron Rodgers doing a number on us .. or it's teams like the Rams and
Niners " out-physical " us outta the playoffs

- Despite having Parson, DLaw and Gregory.. and a playmaker in secondary in Diggs, we still have been an inconsistent defense that vs the run, does not stop the more competitive teams from running the ball on us.

- When will it come a time when our Cowboys defenses finally change and dictate what
opposing teams cannot do to us ?

What else is needed on this Defense for it to be dominant ?

Joseph needs to be the real deal, not get suspended and replace Brown, need to be a top defense at stopping the run, and then the pass rush needs to improve from last year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Its exciting to be in the playoffs and run thru the NFC East opposition,.to which it's difficult to repeat per trend history

- Either its Aaron Rodgers doing a number on us .. or it's teams like the Rams and

- Despite having Parson, DLaw and Gregory.. and a playmaker in secondary in Diggs, we still have been an inconsistent defense that vs the run, does not stop the more competitive teams from running the ball on us.

- When will it come a time when our Cowboys defenses finally change and dictate what

Really just more talent.
Could you imagine his D
With an all pro pass rusher or all pro dt?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:lmao2:the owners? Do they own HS football and College football? They don't play defense either......must be Jerry's fault! :facepalm:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Better players and coaches

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao2:the owners? Do they own HS football and College football? They don't play defense either......must be Jerry's fault! :facepalm:
The owners control the rules…the rules favor the offense. That’s the way they want it. Pretty simple stuff really.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
26 years show a lack of commitment to defense, but by means explain how they have been about defense.
I don't, but you certainly are negative. That's easy to see. Unless, you're not a fan, then you're positive.....lol