What will it take for Quinn's defense to be Dominant

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What will it take for this Dan Quinn's defense to be Dominant ?

Not downhill, .. not just opportunistic .. but Dominant ?

Its' exciting to have a Parsons, just as it was exciting to have a DWare.
Its exciting to be in the playoffs and run thru the NFC East opposition,.to which it's difficult to repeat per trend history
But come playoff, we're exited out of there ...because of the Defense

- Either its Aaron Rodgers doing a number on us .. or it's teams like the Rams and
Niners " out-physical " us outta the playoffs

- Despite having Parson, DLaw and Gregory.. and a playmaker in secondary in Diggs, we still have been an inconsistent defense that vs the run, does not stop the more competitive teams from running the ball on us.

- When will it come a time when our Cowboys defenses finally change and dictate what
opposing teams cannot do to us ?

What else is needed on this Defense for it to be dominant ?

I see lots of potential at all defensive position groups but DT.

quickccc

Reaction score
I would add scoring pct
Keeping a team from scoring is the real key. Turnovers certainly accomplish that
Most of that we did last year
The raiders and broncos were the only games that our defense gave up enough points to say they lost the game
The 49ers only scored 23
The turnovers aren’t likely to be repeated this year since it’s very unlikely Diggs can recreate what he did last year, but I think his overall coverage will be better
The offense getting better against good teams is really a bigger key to our success than the defense
The D was pretty much top 10 in every meaningful catagory
The offense didn’t score enough to beat good teams
When you hold a playoff team to 23 you have to win that game

- Same with the offense is the same state and level I say with the defense
How well did we play against the more competitive teams … instead of the weak sistas ?
Because that will show up in the playoffs, against the more competitive teams,

- The Niners only scored 23 points, but imagine if we had stopped them successfully vs the run, ..and vs a run the ball WR names Deebo ?
That would have forced QB Grap into a more must-pass, and possibly game changing INTs, strip sack fumble turnovers, maybe even deep
in their side of the field.

- True that you need your bread and butter offense to produce more scoring points.
But come playoff time, there may be games to where/when your offense is not on it’s usual track, ..and you need to win defensive battles in very tie quarter games.
And that’s not just the defense,.. but also special teams too. That failed area sent GB outta the playoffs, despite the best record in NFC.

- Philly had to play with their backup QB in Foles, and their defense had to step it up to take control to allow their team to advance to the SB vs Pats.
to eventually win the SB.

quickccc

Reaction score
I see lots of potential at all defensive position groups but DT.

i cannot come to say that yet about the DTs, because of the circumstances with the young DTs.

- Hill and Gallimore have had injury setbacks and still not up to par when it comes to game experience. They are still behind and in a catchup mode.
Because of that they are still more rotational and developmental types than entrenched starters and difference makers.

- Fans get down on Hill, but i can see why the club still entrust in him, even slow recovering from ACL injury. Whether upfield or laterally, his mobility, agility and athleticism is
impressive for one his size. But there still appears some immaturity and discipline issues per his post Raiders game incident and suspension.

- Gallimore elbow injury was more severe than what the club let on. It slowed his development, but there has been a small display of his ability and explosiveness.
But small has been just it. And the next plus play comes too far apart and too many games where he does un-noticed.

- Osa, of course is coming off a durable rookie year where he received a vast amount of starting time, and had typical rookie up and down in adjusting to the NFL trenches.
He as well will 'flash " plays, but i also thought he showed signs of wearing down the later the season went on. He'll get more peanut butter- physical stronger and better
conditioned in year 2 after offseason program.

- Bohanna, i admit that this one is just gonna have to surprise me and make me eat crow in being wrong, I'm not looking for him to be a pass rusher. But more so be a irresistable force
vs the run as a 1 tech. And i saw nuthin' from Quinton in his rookie year where he was relatively healthy. Always the first one on the ground, and on his back and never in the backfield.
The epitome of JAG. Only thing i can say with him is he has quick feet for one his size,.. but then so what ?

conner01

Reaction score
It would take renting another team's defensive line.
I just have a feeling the Dline will be better this year. Healthy Gallimore, osa and Golston got valuable experience last year, we added an edge rusher who I think can be as good, if not better than Gregory in his rookie year, Armstrong has improved each year and Dlaw is healthy. On the next level LVE played more like his rookie self in the second half of last year, Cox adds some real speed at the second level and there is a guy named Micah who learned so much last year about reading what an offense is doing and has worked this off season to be even better

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Trevon Diggs is back, Micah Parsons enters his second season & a full season from DLaw could be huge. However, there’s a big reason to expect regression.

Take a look back at the defenses that led the NFL in interceptions over the past few years, there is a notable year to year dip for many of the leaders. It’s also worth remembering Dallas ranked 20th in the red zone touchdown rate allowed (61.7%).

Regression in the number of takeaways & more scoring drives allowed, all reasonable for pass rush that lost Gregory, means this unit takes a step back. Far from dominant!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think we see that dominant defense the OP is talking about, show up this coming season. DQ will have this defense ready.

plymkr

Reaction score
These 4 things. Some of which were already accomplished last year.

1.Stopping playoff level teams' run games/o-lines from winning the trenches.
2.Consistent 3rd down stops.
3.Sacks, NOT pressures.
4.Turnovers
I think that's it. A dominant defense IMO can get the other team's offense off the field in crucial situations. So whether that is a TO or forcing a punt. I feel our defense can get TOs. That's obvious. Our defense was "dominant" as far as TOs go. But to be a completely dominant defense we need to stop the run and win in the trenches. So hopefully last year's draft class of D linemen can step up or this year's. But I feel we are a run stuffing DT and a good safety away from forcing teams to punt. We get TOs, now we need to force more punts. So we need a "Parsons type player" at the DT spot. Then we'd be dominant IMO.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
It would take renting another team's defensive line.

At least Mike Nolan was jettisoned. That's an addition by subtraction.

DQ is breath of fresh air comparatively.

Just keep McCarthy away from any decision making, especially when it comes to assistant coaches/coordinators.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Defensive change is always necessitated by the folks responsible for that mistake to exist, in the first place.

The Dallas FO is obliged to make the financial commitment to change that problem. They've failed to do so.

It's, of course, an ongoing problem whenever those responsible refuse to make the necessary adjustments.

As the records indicate, in the past, they've chosen to service offensive changes over serving their defense.

To their credit, however, there have recently been considerable efforts to alleviate that ongoing catastrophe.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
The legion of boom had no weaknesses. They could get after the passer, could shut down a running game and they had the best safety, LB and corner in the league. Denver had arguably the greatest offense in the history of the game in 2013 and the legion of boom shut them down in the Super Bowl. They won the battle in the trenches. We have one great player on defense and he has to play two positions.

Didn't they have both Earl Thomas and Cam at safety? They were ridiculous in 2013.