What would happen if Dak stopped listening to the coaches?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I just don't think Dak has the same standing that Tony did. Tony was the offense. What were the coaches going to say?
I don't really think Tony had much of any real standing early on in his career. He was swimming in the same murky water Dak is now in. I'm starting to believe there's going to have to come a time where Dak breaks away to save his own hide (and the offense) & when he does we will see it happen right there live in front of us.

A defining moment persay...

sean10mm

Reaction score
Romo had the HUGE advantage of being coached up by Bill Parcells and Sean Payton during his formative early seasons. He's always cities that as being a big factor in his subsequent success as a player. It gave him a leg up that Dak is not getting.

I don't know that Dak could be another Romo, never mind a future Hall of Famer or whatever the maximum hype was in 2016. But I do know that he's not being set up for success right now either.

Dak does not know defenses and offenses like Romo did. Romo was very underappreciated around the fan base. It's only now that people are starting to understand what Romo truly was to this team.

Neither did Romo in the beginning. Romo didn't start until his 4th season and was developed by elite coaches. Dak is being developed by coaching scrubs who should have been fired years ago.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?
I suggested on another thread that DAK call his own plays.

He has to know the offense by now..

Let's let Linehan relinquish some control and let DAK establish his own play.

If we are going to criticize DAK and hold him to a higher standard..

Let him run his offense with his feel for the game.

I believe the problem is the play calling from a tired and well scouted Linehan after so many years in the NFL

This happens.

Zampese..as good as he was as our OC..

eventual had to step down after awhile.

I understand the desire for the team to have a guy like Linehan run things becuz Garrett failed miserably as the play caller.

Like with Kris Richards who is a much younger and successful D coach and maybe our next HC in waiting..

It's time to make a change before the season craters.

The problem now is Kellen Moore would be next up calling plays with DAK and he is a rookie coach.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Romo had the HUGE advantage of being coached up by Bill Parcells and Sean Payton during his formative early seasons. He's always cities that as being a big factor in his subsequent success as a player. It gave him a leg up that Dak is not getting.

I don't know that Dak could be another Romo, never mind a future Hall of Famer or whatever the maximum hype was in 2016. But I do know that he's not being set up for success right now either.

Neither did Romo in the beginning. Romo didn't start until his 4th season and was developed by elite coaches. Dak is being developed by coaching scrubs who should have been fired years ago.
Great perspective and all true.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I suggested on another thread that DAK call his own plays.

He has to know the offense by now..

Let's let Linehan relinquish some control and let DAK establish his own play.

If we are going to criticize DAK and hold him to a higher standard..

Let him run his offense with his feel for the game.

I believe the problem is the play calling from a tired and well scouted Linehan after so many years in the NFL

This happens.

Zampese..as good as he was as our OC..

eventual had to step down after awhile.
He absolutely has to know the offense by now. Let him go. If they don't have the capability as coaches to slide back a little, then he might have to force his way forward.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
You see a lot of unknowns like Dak do well in their first season. Then film gets out there and defenses force you to do what you struggle at. If you don’t improve on those things you just perpetually struggle. It’s why I’m always skeptical when people say a guy like Watson is going to be the next big thing. Let’s see season 2 and season 3 before we anoint them.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak has to start letting the ball go. If it’s a in route let it go where it’s supposed to go.

After last week the giants are gonna come after him. Stacking the box will be all game. Dak hasn’t played super well against the giants in the past. Our Defense will hold us in the game.

Our Offense has to get on there run blocking assignments and Elliot has to do what he does, make them afraid of him. Then Dak can get rolling. Everyone saw tape this week. WR are getting open. Dak is even seeing them he has to settle in and plant his feet and throw. And if he has 1on 1 he has to take some shots. If he connects on 2 then the defense will back off. If not it’s gonna be a harder game than what it has to be. Who ever loses this game is alone and hurting in our division. Don’t lose this one.

superonyx

Reaction score
Dak needs a clean pocket through the game to be effective.
He needs the confidence that the pocket will be clean. He has always had mechanics issues and when he feels the pressure he seems to start throwing bad passes.
He also seems to not believe in his arm anymore.
Right now he seems to be a mess both mentally and fundamentally.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak needs a clean pocket through the game to be effective.
He needs the confidence that the pocket will be clean. He has always had mechanics issues and when he feels the pressure he seems to start throwing bad passes.
He also seems to not believe in his arm anymore.
Right now he seems to be a mess both mentally and fundamentally.
Been a mess since last year. I still blame the staff for not changing things when he was getting nailed. Been happy feet ever since. That falcons game got in his head.

TonyS

Reaction score
Dak does not know defenses and offenses like Romo did. Romo was very underappreciated around the fan base. It's only now that people are starting to understand what Romo truly was to this team.
Really ironic that Romo is now appreciated as being a really good and really smart QB due to his broadcasting career.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You see a lot of unknowns like Dak do well in their first season. Then film gets out there and defenses force you to do what you struggle at. If you don’t improve on those things you just perpetually struggle. It’s why I’m always skeptical when people say a guy like Watson is going to be the next big thing. Let’s see season 2 and season 3 before we anoint them.
The same should apply in reverse. But strangely it doesn't.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
True but even early on his career, he still gave this team a chance to win. 3rd and 14 and you still thought we had a chance. With Dak at that yardage, we aren't going to sniff past 10 yards most times.
But again, you are referring to the Romo that broke away and started doing his own thing at the line. Not the programmed Romo.