What would happen if Dak stopped listening to the coaches?

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?

The dumbing down effect started because Dak was exposed.

Defensive Coordinators caught up to him and he needs to adjust.

The coaches can only do so much. It's up to Dak now to improve.

jday

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?
Honestly, I think it's a simple case of paralysis by over-analysis following each snap for Dak. Sure, some of it's play calling. And some of it is a lack of continuity across the offensive line. And some of it is his lack of real-game reps with his new receivers. But overall, Dak is his own worst enemy right now.

To your point, though, he does just need to go out there and play the game the way he knows how to play the game and stop trying to be something he's not (e.g. a pocket passer). He should take whatever the defense gives at all times, be it through the air or with his legs and just keep moving the ball forward because as we saw with the Cowboys against the Panthers, the moment they start moving backwards, is typically the end of the drive.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but Dak having Sanchez on the sideline seemed to help him quite a bit that rookie year. Having a real ex-vet QB that's been through the highs and lows could really help a young QB like Dak. I think Sanchez would have made a great QB coach for Dak.
Great point. Moore offers nothing "IMHO"....

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
His first full year was after sitting for 2 1/2 years. And he was elite. Of course there was "Romo mania"

Did you see what we were trotting out there before him? Not even to diminish his greatness. Just the teams, not the QB.

And hell, his teams were often lopsided and poorly constructed.

Romo had 5 elite seasons. All on his own. He'd be a HOF if he played for Andy Reid or Belichick.
Romo replaced Bleedslow.

Dak replaced "Golden Boy Romo".

Another great point.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Romo had the HUGE advantage of being coached up by Bill Parcells and Sean Payton during his formative early seasons. He's always cities that as being a big factor in his subsequent success as a player. It gave him a leg up that Dak is not getting.

I don't know that Dak could be another Romo, never mind a future Hall of Famer or whatever the maximum hype was in 2016. But I do know that he's not being set up for success right now either.

Neither did Romo in the beginning. Romo didn't start until his 4th season and was developed by elite coaches. Dak is being developed by coaching scrubs who should have been fired years ago.

Can we just auto post this as 2nd post in every Dak vs Romo thread. Dak had almost no chance of reaching Romo's level from the start (could say this about almost all QBs as becoming a borderline HoFer is an extremely difficult thing to do), but Dak's coaching disadvantage is enormous.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Thoughts?

My first thought is I hope he doesn't come on this site lol. My second thought is, I wonder if it's heavy footsteps he hears during games like the ones that came with six sacks last game more than the noise in his ears. Maybe I'm just coming up with excuses for his poor play beginning with the Atlanta game last year but my brain tells me he's a little shell shocked. Romo developed the uncanny ability to hear it coming and turned into houdini. Dak does not have that inate ability yet and he may never have it. Most QB's don't in fact. Mr Romo was quite unique that way. The O-line play, which used to be a strength of this team is no more. That sucks Bleu. Yeah that's all I got, excuses :)

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
If our identity is smash mouth run, we impose our will even with stacked boxes. We don't allow the D to snuff out our run game. We can't. If we abandon this, we're in for a long season. Establish the run to set up the play-action. Dak hasn't shown us, in over half a season of games, that we should be coming out the gate slinging, with all due respect, John. Nor has our coaching staff.

We win when we skull **** the enemy with the run to set up the pass.
That smash mouth run first strategy (which I absolutely love) was nowhere to be found in week 1 due to our offense having just finally freed themselves from preseason bubble wrap a few minutes prior to game time.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
in a passing league the qb has to play really well for your team to win and the coaching has to be really good also you can have a good defense good running game but if your qb play is bad you wont win very many games

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it's a simple case of paralysis by over-analysis following each snap for Dak. Sure, some of it's play calling. And some of it is a lack of continuity across the offensive line. And some of it is his lack of real-game reps with his new receivers. But overall, Dak is his own worst enemy right now.

To your point, though, he does just need to go out there and play the game the way he knows how to play the game and stop trying to be something he's not (e.g. a pocket passer). He should take whatever the defense gives at all times, be it through the air or with his legs and just keep moving the ball forward because as we saw with the Cowboys against the Panthers, the moment they start moving backwards, is typically the end of the drive.
Fair. But I still believe there's a defining moment yet to come for Dak's career and it will be when he says screw you to the dumbing down and starts to truly take over the offense.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Can we just auto post this as 2nd post in every Dak vs Romo thread. Dak had almost no chance of reaching Romo's level from the start (could say this about almost all QBs as becoming a borderline HoFer is an extremely difficult thing to do), but Dak's coaching disadvantage is enormous.
@sean10mm nailed it pretty hard with his response.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Great point. Moore offers nothing "IMHO"....
Kellen would be fine if he was there for a 10 yr vet, that doesn't need the coaching or guidance, just someone to go fetch them some gatorade or dry cleaning. A young QB with known issues, should have someone experienced there to help tutor and guide them Kellen was hired for Linehan, not for Dak and that's just whack!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
My first thought is I hope he doesn't come on this site lol. My second thought is, I wonder if it's heavy footsteps he hears during games like the ones that came with six sacks last game more than the noise in his ears. Maybe I'm just coming up with excuses for his poor play beginning with the Atlanta game last year but my brain tells me he's a little shell shocked. Romo developed the uncanny ability to hear it coming and turned into houdini. Dak does not have that inate ability yet and he may never have it. Most QB's don't in fact. Mr Romo was quite unique that way. The O-line play, which used to be a strength of this team is no more. That sucks Bleu. Yeah that's all I got, excuses :)
Key word yet. :thumbup:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Kellen would be fine if he was there for a 10 yr vet, that doesn't need the coaching or guidance, just someone to go fetch them some gatorade or dry cleaning. A young QB with known issues, should have someone experienced there to help tutor and guide them Kellen was hired for Linehan, not for Dak and that's just whack!
Moore was handed a silver spoon. Same as Garrett. Neither did anything to earn such elevation.... & we continue to suffer as a result.

sbark

Reaction score
Need to get Linehan the hell out of here. It's like watching paint dry.
Linehan actually has substantial skins on the wall....dang nice offensive output in Detroit, was a innovator in the rpo as he came up thru college ranks, he gave ideas to some high profile coaches ...

I see Linehan as having a nose ring to garrets scheme

Is a reason Garrett went several time to coach k basketball ....they both beleive if you have nuff talent out in the arena you can impose your will....might work in bb where one Lebron can take you a long way, or one a.rogers at the key position.....but not having those, the team is hamstrung by poor scheme