What would happen if Dak stopped listening to the coaches?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dak will need to showcase the talent to do so. We shall see. Week 2 is huge for him. He must rebound. It's time.
I feel like Dak can get it done for sure, what needs to happen is let Dak into game planning sessions just like they did with Romo. Once they started that, Romo was so much better. There is a big difference between memorizing a playbook, and being in the session and seeing how the coaches are scheming.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I feel like Dak can get it done for sure, what needs to happen is let Dak into game planning sessions just like they did with Romo. Once they started that, Romo was so much better. There is a big difference between memorizing a playbook, and being in the session and seeing how the coaches are scheming.
What needs to happen is us come out the gate with an established run game. Set up the RPO. Set up the play-action. Keep the defense guessing and not sitting on Dak's throws for 3/4 of the game, Phil.

...and also, Dak does need to be better.

phildadon86

Reaction score
What needs to happen is come out the gate with an established run game. Set up the RPO. Set up the play-action. Keep the defense guessing and not sitting on Dak's throws for 3/4 of the game, Phil.

...and also, Dak does need to be better.
100 percent he does. This is his year to prove it. I refuse to cut bait with him until he has real coaches though. If we give him a Bortles type deal and bring in some real offensive minds I can guarantee you would see a completely different Dak.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

How do you know he was "doing his own thing" his rookie season?

I still believe in 2016.
Romo was calling the plays from the head set.

You're free to believe what you like, but I'm curious if you have evidence for it.

John813

Reaction score
Feel like the first play of the game should be a playaction deep pass. Would just be one on one coverage as I'm sure the safeties will bite.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Been a mess since last year. I still blame the staff for not changing things when he was getting nailed. Been happy feet ever since. That falcons game got in his head.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe it's entirely coincidental. Everyone has a bad game once in awhile, but he's had mostly bad games since that day. Contrary to what some spew here, that wasn't the case his first 1.5 seasons.

But he needs to start turning it around soon.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Feel like the first play of the game should be a playaction deep pass. Would just be one on one coverage as I'm sure the safeties will bite.

Even if it falls incomplete it shows something they didn't see last week. Anything to try and get them to back off a bit.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Why? We didn't have an effective run game week one, John. Why would the defense bite now?

We need to come out and play smash mouth ball. Even if it means Snacks eating up a play or two. Stick to our identity. No more of this empty set bull ****, abandon the run and "Hail Romo" game plan.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but Dak having Sanchez on the sideline seemed to help him quite a bit that rookie year. Having a real ex-vet QB that's been through the highs and lows could really help a young QB like Dak. I think Sanchez would have made a great QB coach for Dak.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
#4 needs to up his game, if everything has to be perfect for your trigger man to be successful you need to keep looking. My hopes for Dak succeeding can just as easily be replaced by my hopes for him to be replaced, it's all about the Cowboys.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
No, Romo mania hit at the start of his first full year.
His first full year was after sitting for 2 1/2 years. And he was elite. Of course there was "Romo mania"

Did you see what we were trotting out there before him? Not even to diminish his greatness. Just the teams, not the QB.

And hell, his teams were often lopsided and poorly constructed.

Romo had 5 elite seasons. All on his own. He'd be a HOF if he played for Andy Reid or Belichick.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah, I find it hard to believe it's entirely coincidental. Everyone has a bad game once in awhile, but he's had mostly bad games since that day. Contrary to what some spew here, that wasn't the case his first 1.5 seasons.

But he needs to start turning it around soon.
He turns it around or he will be a backup. Actually if we end up out of the playoffs early this season then I would pull him. Maybe he needs to watch someone else for a bit. I still believe he can get it done but he needs confidence quick. He didnt get near enough preseason. And his few series he did get I thought he looked good.

Verdict

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?

I have been thinking the same thing.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?

Romo had command of the offense, an understanding of each opponent's defense, and the arm talent to make all the throws.

Dak doesn't check any of those boxes.

John813

Reaction score
Why? We didn't have an effective run game week one, John. Why would the defense bite now?

We need to come out and play smash mouth ball. Even if it means Snacks eating up a play or two. Stick to our identity. No more of this empty set bull ****, abandon the run and "Hail Romo" game plan.

Because I feel the defense will first and forth most establish a wall to prevent Zeke from dictating the game.
Felt like Collins(Safety) was being blunt about stopping us which is basically bottling up Zeke. Stop him for a 1-2 yard gain on first and 2nd down and now the Cowboys are in a 3rd and 6th-8th.
At least try one deep to at least make the safeties think about backpedaling.
I agree we need to run the ball throughout the game, but I also feel like we need to keep the defense honest.
If we don't try some deep shots, they will gameplan to stop Zeke/short intermediate passes. Lately(going into 2017 season), defenses have been successful in doing so too.

1st down playaction.
2nd run
3rd down ???
Profit lol

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It figures that once Romo goes full on Bradley Cooper in Limitless, we lose him.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Because I feel the defense will first and forth most establish a wall to prevent Zeke from dictating the game.
Felt like Collins(Safety) was being blunt about stopping us which is basically bottling up Zeke. Stop him for a 1-2 yard gain on first and 2nd down and now the Cowboys are in a 3rd and 6th-8th.
At least try one deep to at least make the safeties think about backpedaling.
I agree we need to run the ball throughout the game, but I also feel like we need to keep the defense honest.
If we don't try some deep shots, they will gameplan to stop Zeke/short intermediate passes. Lately(going into 2017 season), defenses have been successful in doing so too.

1st down playaction.
2nd run
3rd down ???
Profit lol
If our identity is smash mouth run, we impose our will even with stacked boxes. We don't allow the D to snuff out our run game. We can't. If we abandon this, we're in for a long season. Establish the run to set up the play-action. Dak hasn't shown us, in over half a season of games, that we should be coming out the gate slinging, with all due respect, John. Nor has our coaching staff.

We win when we skull **** the enemy with the run to set up the pass.