CFZ What Would You Have Done at WR?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea sure ..... Fans are just being fickle.

Has nothing to do with the last 27 years of futility because our idiot owners won't hire someone who puts football before said owners Ego's.

Give me a break with that crap
Had they kept Cooper it would’ve contributed to what’s hurt this team for the past 30 years….

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think the only thing I would of done different was to of brought in a more established WR instead of Washington. He fell out of favor in Pitt somewhat early and never really did much there.
Someone like Chark would of been interesting as at least he had one very good year and being on the Jags and their disfunction there was a higher boom for upside. Now the Lions gave him a good amount so maybe we were just priced out.
Or Landry, who has slowed down over time, but at least is still a good receiver.

Edit: The downside to most offenses/OCs wanting to go 3 wide is that you need 3 good receivers. We had that last year.
This year we came in with one good receiver in Lamb. Unfortunately Washington got hurt so we never got to see what he could of done as a #2, and Gallup is coming back from injury and hopefully not rushed back.
I liked re-signing Gallup was a good move and price point. Just short term to start the season him being injured put them in a hole at WR.
I definitely think had I made the Coop trade I would have targeted a WR to bring in week 3.
Did they? I am not sure tbh because with Dak out and other injuries you are juggling roster spots right now.
But there are def vets out there that offer more appeal than James Washington.
They end up signing OBJ week 5 this probably all becomes water under the bridge.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Restructure Cooper, let Gallup walk. If it doesn't work, let Cooper go next season and use a high draft pick as a replacement. This should've been an all-in season. The defense has elite potential and the offense still would've been potent without Gallup. Would you rather try for a championship now, or die a slow death by keeping a less talented roster together?

I keep hearing about these contracts coming up. Micah is on year 2 of his rookie deal, and Lamb/Diggs are on year 3. Cap space can be created by moving on from Zeke and Lawrence. The cap hit for Dak's final year of his contract is around $25m as it stands. Money can be moved forward if the plan is to keep him around. If that isn't the plan, they'd be blowing up the roster and starting over anyways.

Point being, the excuse that they needed the cap room (that they didn't use) is just that, an excuse. Cooper hurt Jerral and Dak's feelings and he was moved as an emotional, knee jerk reaction.
The problem with takes like this are they are factually incorrect yet posted as if 100% accurate.
DLaw took a pay cut this year and pushed money again so he would represent more dead cap then cap cost if cut in 2023.
That means the math doesn't math on saving any money.
The biggest saving will be to restructure him again(with perhaps a pay cut factored in).

Zeke will almost certainly be cut. But you are getting 10.9M in base back to eat 11.8 in dead cap --so likely a post June 1st cut.
Doesn't change that Dallas has less camp space available for 2023 right now than they do cap space in 2022.

Dallas did not restructure Amari in 2021 BEFORE any Jerry or Dak disagreements. All evidence points to that decision being what caused Amari to get salty.

If Dallas cut Zeke and DLaw BOTH as Post June 1st cuts they would not have enough money to pay for Amari's 22M 2023 salary cap cost plus just the draft class.
Doesn't include that you have Schultz, AB, TP, Maher, Steele, Donovan Wilson, McGovern as Free Agents.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
The whole Cooper situation is just an example of how bad the FO is run. They traded a 1st round pick for a guy with an expiring contract. Any smart manager would go ahead and negotiate that next contract while making the trade, other wise you are held hostage at the end of the year (which they were).

Next, Cooper is now traded for a 5th but he still has $6M in dead money this year. Dallas is actually at $25M in dead money from poor choices.

To the original question, I would have kept Cooper and Lamb, letting Gallup go. Instead they jumped at the chance to sign an injured player and feel like they got a bargain, yet again.

Batman1980

Reaction score
WR will be solid once Lamb, Tolbert, Washington and Gallup are out there. Better WR room with those 4 than most teams have.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They’re all “temporary solutions” given that most deals are for four years.

And Lamb still has a 5th year option for 2024.
That 5th year option is gonna cost you more versus the cap than year 1 of the new deal in all likelihood.
Calvin Ridley's 5th year option would be 11M for instance.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The problem with takes like this are they are factually incorrect yet posted as if 100% accurate.
DLaw took a pay cut this year and pushed money again so he would represent more dead cap then cap cost if cut in 2023.
The biggest saving will be to restructure him again(with perhaps a pay cut factored in).

Zeke will almost certainly be cut. But you are getting 10.9M in base back to eat 11.8 in dead cap --so likely a post June 1st cut.
Doesn't change that Dallas has less camp space available for 2023 right now than they do cap space in 2022.

Dallas did not restructure Amari in 2021 BEFORE any Jerry or Dak disagreements. All evidence points to that decision being what caused Amari to get salty.

If Dallas cut Zeke and DLaw BOTH as Post June 1st cuts they would not have enough money to pay for Amari's 22M 2023 salary cap cost plus just the draft class.
Doesn't include that you have Schultz, AB, TP, Maher, Steele, Donovan Wilson, McGovern as Free Agents.
If Zeke is cut next year, the team can create 5m in space pre June 1st and around 12m post June 1st per OTC. Didn't factor in Lawrence redoing his deal so my mistake on that.

There's also the thought that if you bring back Cooper, franchise tagging Dalton Schultz at 10m isn't necessary. Point being, money could've been moved around to fit Copper onto this roster which would've allowed for a legitimate Super Bowl run. If they have to make some tough calls next year, to include cutting or trading Cooper, so be it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
This is the thing. The Cowboys got rid of overpaid players who weren’t living up to their pay and who lacked dog in them. Started with Jaylon during the season……for Collins and Cooper out of here and refused to march Gregory. We needed drastic changes to this team and they went with the makeup….so what’s the issue?

Drafting Jaylon in 2nd was a mistake. Then paying Jaylon compounded that mistake. Especially before paying Zeke.

Cowboys did not get chance to match for Gregory, he outright turned them down after the insulting clause in contract was found.

Gregory deal with Broncos is almost exactly same as Cowboys money. Sans the insulting language.

John813

Reaction score

Yup. Demarcus Lawrence is here till the end of 2023 at the very least.

The Zeke move like you posted doesn't give us any space really, so as a post June 1st you could use that freed up space for the rookie pool/breathing room.

I think the team will have some hard decisions on Lewis, last year of deal with minimal dead cap and a chance to free up 4mil and Kearse. Now that will depend on how Bland and Joseph develop along with Muk and Bell at safety.

Fortunately, Steele is a RFA next year, but they will lose some talent next offseason. Not sure if they want to restructure Prescott again either to free up cap space.
Martin is probably likely to get restructured again based off play and lack of injury history

kumizi

Reaction score
We have $20 million in cap space. Don’t tell me what we couldn’t have done.

CWR

Reaction score
I would've kept Coop and let go of Wilson and Gallup. That said if there is a saving grace we got a really nice deal on Gallup and I am actually happy to have kept him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea sure ..... Fans are just being fickle.

Has nothing to do with the last 27 years of futility because our idiot owners won't hire someone who puts football before said owners Ego's.

Give me a break with that crap

Give us a break with your living in the past 27 years crap.
The subject is about the WR’s and this year.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
1a. is False and easily verifiably so no need to ever post that misinformation. DAL has 12M in cap space.
2022 NFL Team Salary Cap Space Tracker | Spotrac
1b. "They could" have made the 20M for sure but you limit yourself next year and later this year to do that
2. Nonsense. This is the dumbest fan/media point of all-time. Agent/player and team all work together on stuff like this which means there is no hiding it. Beyond that you can't host a sell and not tell anyone. If you are selling a 65" TV you think the best dela is available by just randomly inviting people over and hoping someone offers you cash for it or by posting it on Facebook marketplace?? Again, this is a popular but illogical take.
3. The question wasn't directed at Jerry but at the board/you. We know what Jerry would have done. You didn't answer the question at all.

1. We have 12 mil now… but I could have sworn we have been at or near 20 mil heading into TC— but I digress as you concede the Cowboys could certainly have kept Coop by creating the space necessary to do so.

2. You’re wrong. It’s basic negotiations. JJ and SJ made it ABUNDANTLY clear they no longer wanted Coop— thereby effectively erasing any leverage they might have had. They should have talked Coop UP publicly. Not down. They could have always escalated their strategy to the “give away” prices they resorted to with Cleveland— but if you start off there, where do you go? Bottom line: they just wanted him gone and were willing to take a heavy discounted offer to do so.

3. Sorry… I guess I didn’t answer your question lol. I would have kept Coop. This offense is better with him. Considering the injury to Gallup— his value was even higher. At the very least— I would have absolutely spent $$$ in FA to offset his loss. Washington on the cheap and a 3rd round pick doesn’t replace what Coop brought to this team IMO

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but 4 years is a lot more of a runway than one. Keep in mind rarely do rookies who get second deals have to wait until that 5th year option. If you get there, 95% of the time you won’t be resigned.

Regardless, there was only maybe 1 year more you could have all three together. You can argue we should have went all in for this year and I get that. But moving past that with Gallup, Cooper, and Lamb’s contract timelines we are looking at someone or two being left out.

I wasn’t worried about ‘all 3’ at all. I made my choice. Cooper and Lamb on his rookie deal.

And I think it’s safe to say at this point that Lamb has yet to do enough to guarantee that the option year should or would get picked up.

I can see arguments for both ways, I just don’t get acting like this wasn’t a situation that could be played out in multiple ways. What the FO did wasn’t illogical in choosing Lamb and Gallup. Only regret is they wouldn’t have blabbered about the negatives of Coop and gotten a higher pick out of it.

Just another bad decision on their part, being proven without a shadow of a doubt.

stiletto

Reaction score
They got rid of Cooper because they didn't like him. I really don't think money was the issue. It is what it is. The real crime is they did next to nothing to replace his production. A 3rd round pick that can't even break the roster and a JAG (Washington) that was hurt before the season started. There was no problem at WR until they created one.