CFZ What Would You Have Done at WR?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good teams have 3 good receivers at any time one will and can get hurt. Don't pay tes/rbs problem fixed. Cooper made this whole offense better just look at the yards of separation, he's open on nearly every damn play, with elite route running.

Of course we are better with Cooper. But not for 22 million for 3 years.

Gallup isnt even back yet. Lamb needs to step up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think they seriously thought the guys they had + a 3rd round draft pick would be enough to replace Cooper. It's completely laughable.

Lamb is replacing Cooper. Gallup is the #2. The issue that arose so far has been the #3 WR. This was a 3 year decision, not a 1 year decision. Cowboys would still be 1-1 with Cooper.

Mannix

Reaction score
Keep Wilson who Dak loved....jetison Cooper and Gallup for a Top FA and Beasley.

HungryLion

Reaction score
And he defeated 28 year old Cooper on ALL levels, thus he's ranked #8 & some wonder why ranked #30 WR Cooper was released.:rolleyes:

Lamb is not better than Cooper or at least he hasn’t been. You can lie to yourself about it if you like. But I’ll refrain from doing so.

Lamb may well become better as he is a growing player. But don’t pretend like he was better than Cooper the last 2 years.

rambo2

Reaction score
I would keep the band together that they have now. I would try to sign Noah Brown to a 2 year deal at around 3 million a year. Then they would have Lamb, Gallup, Brown, and Tolbert.

stiletto

Reaction score
Lamb is replacing Cooper. Gallup is the #2. The issue that arose so far has been the #3 WR. This was a 3 year decision, not a 1 year decision. Cowboys would still be 1-1 with Cooper.

What would be the difference between trading Cooper next year vs this year? It would've been better to keep the band together. Let it play out a little longer. I liked the threat and fluidity of the offense with Cooper+Lamb+Gallup/whoever. I don't really care about Cooper though. I just don't like the fact that they did nothing really to replace his productivity. They keep claiming they had to save the money but they didn't use hardly any of it on ANYBODY. I'd have understood had they signed Von Miller or someone with his money but they are being buffoon's about the reason. They just didn't like him but it's pretty clear he could produce and he helped the team a lot when he came to town.

And to me money is moot.. $20 million is gonna be chump change soon anyways. DirecTV was paying the NFL $950 million for all of NFL Ticket. Amazon is paying $1 billion for ONE game a week now. There is a rumor of $4 billion from Apple for NFL Ticket and Google is now offering to pay more. The Salary Cap is gonna explode. Jerry is just trying to save face with the money argument. It's BS. They just didn't like Cooper. Fine but don't lie to us. Get some good people in to take his place somewhere. LOL

Retro88

Reaction score
In a vacuum, I'm not mad at their decision. However, life doesn't operate like that. Once Gallup had went down that should of forced them to keep him another year. It was entirely way to risky to hope Lamb could be the man, Gallup can return and play well, & no other WR injuries. Also, Landry would of been my target and not Washington.

That being said......I would have never traded a 1st for him knowing I was gonna have to give a big contract a year later. I'd just have let 2018 play put or trade for someone else for a lower pick. Then I would of drafted a WR and there was a lot of talent in that WR class of 19'.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Well, most fans on here, and may be true for any NFL team. Will go against the owners and FO.
Since they are always critical of every little move. Including who cleans Jerry's glasses.

As we seen what gets posted about letting Cooper go. If they let Gallup go in FA and kept Cooper. They would be critical of that as well.
We have fickle fans.

I am fine with what they did, as we yet to see how it will all work out. Either way it was a gamble. And we all knew 2 years ago. One would be here and one would not be.
When it became a reality then, the for / against discussions and arguments started. Thing is many already knew they would say the FO sucked one way or the other..0
Others a wait and see approach.

I don't care, I just want to see success and wins. I would have been fine either way.
Hey! I thought that guy did a very good job of cleaning Jerry's glasses.
According to the eye-test...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No because I would not have given Gallop a contract because he is far more injury prone than Coop and worse at the position
But Coop represents the same spoiled entitled behavior we are trying to get away from. We wanted gene changers that show up in big games?

stiletto

Reaction score
But Coop represents the same spoiled entitled behavior we are trying to get away from. We wanted gene changers that show up in big games?

Do you think Cooper was a diva receiver? I think ownership wanted rid of him because HE WASN'T like that enough. He was not a knuckle dragging chest beater. The guy played chess in the locker room and set up libraries for people. I think Jones family HATED that.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

And you think Gallup has shown up in big games more than Coop?

Coop was released because he hurt Jerry's feelings ...... not for any other nonsense that they made up after the fact.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I don’t know yet and that’s another reason I don’t mind the Coop departure.

We spent a first on this guy and everything from his play style to the marketing and 88 stuff he was going to be able to ask for a top of the market deal. With Cooper, Lamb gets a lot less attention and could fool you into a high statistical season and make you have to pay.

But now, we can see if he can handle the true WR1 responsibilities. I know you’re not suppose to make moves to figure a player’s value but the benefit of knowing is a positive of the situation. Basically lol, wait and see. But with Cooper it was 100% high market value deal coming for Lamb.
Excellent...get the true value of CeeDee. From your perspective the Amari move makes sense on a few different levels.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’ve seen some outlandish reasoning for why the team should have kept the 3 WR’s together. Not sure if we understand how people build rosters but there’s no such thing as paying big deals to 3 WR’s. That just an insane way to allocate your cap funds.

Yes the vaccine and heart/passion issues were thrown around for Coop, but those were more as pros and cons for which WR to keep. The decision to only pay 2 guys moving forward was obvious, they just had to decide who.

The hope is Gallup is a good WR2 at half the cost of Cooper and Lamb steps into the WR1 role and gets the big bucks.

I’m not saying that will happen but the plan wasn’t crazy. Cooper playing well has nothing to do with it, we didn’t trade him due to not being able to play well.

You can’t keep all three once they get off rookie deals and you can’t pay two number 1’s (poor roster management) so you have only two options. A) Cooper and Gallup or B) Lamb and Gallup. Team chose B and it’s not an illogical one. Lamb is younger and was drafted by them. Coop is good but you know his highs. Lamb has the upside to maybe be more so they bet on that.

I know some (most) of us are prisoners of the moment so Coop’s stock is sky high right now while Lamb’s may not be. But by stepping back and looking at the two options outlined in the previous paragraph, what would y’all have done?

I think it was completely logical to bet on Ceedee your first round pick as we know what we have in Cooper.
TY this makes total sense because its Common sense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Excellent...get the true value of CeeDee. From your perspective the Amari move makes sense on a few different levels.
that why you allow the actual full season to play out and then judge the moves. this is insane AC goes have nice game 17 threads open up about our WRs and blah blah blah.

Lets have fill data on the team after the season we can have real debates..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’ve seen some outlandish reasoning for why the team should have kept the 3 WR’s together. Not sure if we understand how people build rosters but there’s no such thing as paying big deals to 3 WR’s. That just an insane way to allocate your cap funds.

Yes the vaccine and heart/passion issues were thrown around for Coop, but those were more as pros and cons for which WR to keep. The decision to only pay 2 guys moving forward was obvious, they just had to decide who.

The hope is Gallup is a good WR2 at half the cost of Cooper and Lamb steps into the WR1 role and gets the big bucks.

I’m not saying that will happen but the plan wasn’t crazy. Cooper playing well has nothing to do with it, we didn’t trade him due to not being able to play well.

You can’t keep all three once they get off rookie deals and you can’t pay two number 1’s (poor roster management) so you have only two options. A) Cooper and Gallup or B) Lamb and Gallup. Team chose B and it’s not an illogical one. Lamb is younger and was drafted by them. Coop is good but you know his highs. Lamb has the upside to maybe be more so they bet on that.

I know some (most) of us are prisoners of the moment so Coop’s stock is sky high right now while Lamb’s may not be. But by stepping back and looking at the two options outlined in the previous paragraph, what would y’all have done?

I think it was completely logical to bet on Ceedee your first round pick as we know what we have in Cooper.

Restructured Cooper in order to pay Gallup. Whether Lamb will be worth signing to as big of a deal as he'll get is still a question mark.

The Cowboys could have saved up to $12.5 million this year by restructuring Cooper. They are paying $4.5 million to Gallup this year and $3.8 million to Lamb. That's far from paying too much at the position. And considering we have $20 million in cap space still, it wouldn't have prevented us from any of the other moves that we made.

We possibly could have even signed Gallup to a one-year deal considering that he's not even playing yet. What teams were going to sign him in March or April not knowing when he was going to return?

The deal for me is that we were expected to have one of the best WR corps in the league last year, but it didn't materialize primarily because of injury. Instead of trying to make it happen this year, we dumped one of the WRs who was supposed to be part of that corps and replaced him with a bunch of unknowns. That's not how you improve your team. Knowing that Gallup was going to miss time, I would have at least replaced Cooper with Christian Kirk ($7.5 million this year). Sure, Kirk's cap hit next year is going to need some fancy footwork, but there are always ways to get it done.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What would be the difference between trading Cooper next year vs this year? It would've been better to keep the band together. Let it play out a little longer. I liked the threat and fluidity of the offense with Cooper+Lamb+Gallup/whoever. I don't really care about Cooper though. I just don't like the fact that they did nothing really to replace his productivity. They keep claiming they had to save the money but they didn't use hardly any of it on ANYBODY. I'd have understood had they signed Von Miller or someone with his money but they are being buffoon's about the reason. They just didn't like him but it's pretty clear he could produce and he helped the team a lot when he came to town.

And to me money is moot.. $20 million is gonna be chump change soon anyways. DirecTV was paying the NFL $950 million for all of NFL Ticket. Amazon is paying $1 billion for ONE game a week now. There is a rumor of $4 billion from Apple for NFL Ticket and Google is now offering to pay more. The Salary Cap is gonna explode. Jerry is just trying to save face with the money argument. It's BS. They just didn't like Cooper. Fine but don't lie to us. Get some good people in to take his place somewhere. LOL
If jones did it right he would sign a pro bowl dt or guard. Maybe a pass rusher.

cooper just wasn’t worth the money buddy. Have to make tough decisions.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Drafting Jaylon in 2nd was a mistake. Then paying Jaylon compounded that mistake. Especially before paying Zeke.

Cowboys did not get chance to match for Gregory, he outright turned them down after the insulting clause in contract was found.

Gregory deal with Broncos is almost exactly same as Cowboys money. Sans the insulting language.
Not true.

Or maybe I have it wrong.

But did it not go Gregory and Dallas agreed on a contract? IT was even reported as such. Then Gregory and his team looked at the language of the contract then declined the deal.....Cowboys had the chance to take the language out of the contract and declined?