What would you pay Dak to extend him now?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Lol fair enough but I've seen enough from you on here to know that you're open minded about some of your opinions so I don't take you for a fool.

Hey, I been called a fool for love, a fool for football, a fool for tater chips, hot dogs and John Deer tractors. Never a fool for QB's. Yeah, i knew I was stepping in it with the 68.75% winning percentage. I even been called a fool for drama condoin. Hey man, we're alright. mama says I should have been a lawyer with my arguing. She's prolly right but I'd rater be a lonesome old pole cat than a lawyer :laugh:

condoin125

Reaction score
Hey, I been called a fool for love, a fool for football, a fool for tater chips, hot dogs and John Deer tractors. Never a fool for QB's. Yeah, i knew I was stepping in it with the 68.75% winning percentage. I even been called a fool for drama condoin. Hey man, we're alright. mama says I should have been a lawyer with my arguing. She's prolly right but I'd rater be a lonesome old pole cat than a lawyer :laugh:
John Deer eh? I just bought an electric push lawnmower...EGO is the brand.....seems to work pretty well.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak was eligible for an extension now:

1. Would you extend Dak now if you could?
2. What sort of contract is he currently worth?
3. What is the bust potential for his second contract from your point of view?
4. Where will he rank in terms of QBs three years from now?
5. Should we draft another QB now and keep our options open for two years from now when Dak is slated to be a free agent?[/QUOTE]

1. NO
2. 2 cheeseburgers and 1 diet coke.
3.100%
4.He won't be in the NFL 3 years from now.
5.YES draft away save the Star from Dak!!!

condoin125

Reaction score

5. Should we draft another QB now and keep our options open for two years from now when Dak is slated to be a free agent?

1. NO
3.100%
[/QUOTE]
Eh, I don't think he's a good starter in this league...but there aren't too many backups that are gonna outplay him....so I'd be surprised if he was out of the league anytime soon.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
IS he a franchise QB. Or is he Alex Smith or does he become Russell Wilson????

Yes he is.
If Alex Smith is your floor, you are 100% a franchise QB.

Also I dont see the parallels between Smith and Dak. Smith in his first two seasons had a completion % of 56%, 17 TDs to 27 INTs, 6.1 yards per attempt, with roughly a 65 QB rating.

Dak has a 65.2% completion %, 45 TDs to 17 INTs, 7.4 yards per attempt, with a 95.5 QB rating.

I dont see the resemblance.

Although the Wilson comparison is much better!

63.6 completion %, 52 TDs to 19 INTs, 8.05 yards per attempt, and a 100.6 QB rating. So that's much closer.

Many here would have given up on Wilson after his first two seasons. It's pretty sad.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. NO
3.100%
Eh, I don't think he's a good starter in this league...but there aren't too many backups that are gonna outplay him....so I'd be surprised if he was out of the league anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

After he's done destroying god knows how many seasons for us they won't want Dak as a practice dummy!!
Dak is a FRAUD who feeds off of Zeke and our Off-line....

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yes he is.
If Alex Smith is your floor, you are 100% a franchise QB.

Also I dont see the parallels between Smith and Dak. Smith in his first two seasons had a completion % of 56%, 17 TDs to 27 INTs, 6.1 yards per attempt, with roughly a 65 QB rating.

Dak has a 65.2% completion %, 45 TDs to 17 INTs, 7.4 yards per attempt, with a 95.5 QB rating.

I dont see the resemblance.

Although the Wilson comparison is much better!

63.6 completion %, 52 TDs to 19 INTs, 8.05 yards per attempt, and a 100.6 QB rating. So that's much closer.

Many here would have given up on Wilson after his first two seasons. It's pretty sad.
Alex Smith is not a franchise QB. He has been replaced what twice in his career. Great overall stats but another guy that is better in the underneath guys than he is the outside guys.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
John Deer eh? I just bought an electric push lawnmower...EGO is the brand.....seems to work pretty well.

Nice!! Ours are the workin brand. Big work horses, front wheel assist, big horse power, we pay for the green paint and logo. It used to take us 3 weeks to plant the crop now it's 10 days. Everything is big. Good thing too because we haven't turned a wheel yet.

Nothin like mowin the lawn eh. Know where you've been and where you're goin :). Or in the words of Andy Dufresne... nothin like a cold bottle of suds

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Alex Smith is not a franchise QB. He has been replaced what twice in his career. Great overall stats but another guy that is better in the underneath guys than he is the outside guys.

I didnt say Smith was, if a player has a floor of Alex Smith then he is without a doubt a franchise QB.

Also being replaced twice in a 13 seaons doesnt make you a non-franchise QB. Brees was replaced. Peyton Manning was replaced. Drew Bledsoe was replaced twice.. Cousins was replaced by Smith.

condoin125

Reaction score
Nice!! Ours are the workin brand. Big work horses, front wheel assist, big horse power, we paint for the green paint. It used to take us 3 weeks to plant the crop now it's 10 days. Everything is big. Good thing too because we haven't turned a wheel yet.

Nothin like mowin the lawn eh. Know where you've been and where you're goin :)
Haha, my girlfriend actually is going to be mowing ours....my environmental allergies are so bad I simply can't do it....I have to get shots twice a week.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I realize Dak is probably not eligible to be resigned yet but I am curious what sort of salary range some of you believe he falls into. What is he worth to us and what will it take to resign him?

I'm not sure where you rank Dak in the pecking order. If you look at his rookie year only he likes like he might be a top 10 QB. Last year he flashed a bit and sucked a bit. Part of that was the OL play. But part of that was Dak.

5. Should we draft another QB now and keep our options open for two years from now when Dak is slated to be a free agent?
The Bortyles contract would appear in his wheelhouse. And it was only 3 years.

For a QB like Dak who needs an All Pro OL and RB we won’t be able to pay him top dollar . If 2018 isn’t any better hopefully we will push this out another year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I didnt say Smith was, if a player has a floor of Alex Smith then he is without a doubt a franchise QB.
I was trying to say he is either Alex Smith, captain of Team Checkdown, or he could be Russell Wilson but how long has it taken Wilson to be come a passer not just mobile QB. If he is smith he is not worth franchise money.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
What if right now he would sign for top 15 money with a three year guarantee? That's what I think his current value is. You could save 8 to 10 million per year over a five year contract if it turns out he is the guy we saw in year one. If he is the guy we saw in year two, that is about what he is worth.

I'm not for or against it. If you extend and miss then you get a Crawford contract. (Not a Dez contract because he didn't have a great year and you aren't going to pay him top 5 money). If you guess right you save a lot of cap.

No offense, but if your answer is "I don't know yet" then you had better be advocating using a premium pick on a QB including #19 if the value lines up.
I'd take the option in your first paragraph. It's a smart business risk.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Haha, my girlfriend actually is going to be mowing ours....my environmental allergies are so bad I simply can't do it....I have to get shots twice a week.

She's mowin the lawn already??? Don't complain about that man! First of all halter and daisy dukes, secondly you have grass lol. We got nada, mud and small green sprouts of grass. What climate change?

Verdict

Reaction score
Is it even in Dak's best interest to sign an extension right now? He knows if he plays well this year, he'll get a big contract.

If he gets injured he also never gets paid. There is risk involved for both parties.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'd say after his first year he is definitly worth 5yr 150M, with 75M guaranteed.

condoin125

Reaction score
Man I hear epi-pens are almost impossible to get now. Good luck with the allergies.
Thanks man....the hope is that after five years of these shots twice a week that I'll start to build up some immunity against them....if not, then I'll just get them the rest of my life. Oh well, at least I don't have that rare disease that turns you into a tree (real thing btw), that's how you know God hates you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was trying to say he is either Alex Smith, captain of Team Checkdown, or he could be Russell Wilson but how long has it taken Wilson to be come a passer not just mobile QB. If he is smith he is not worth franchise money.
Alex Smith is a better comparison which he has been worth Franchise money. Average franchise money. Nothing wrong with that. And nothing wrong with Dak being average. As long as we don’t over pay.