What would your reaction be if Cowboys resign Prescott before season begins?

quickccc

Reaction score
is this a trick - prank question ..?

yes, Dak, 2nd in entire NFL in league MVP voting ... re-signed as highest paid QB in NFL .... mission accomplished !

:hammer:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doesn't really matter. Sign him don't sign him. The cowboys are a mentally weak team with a lot of talent. I don't think there is any QB currently playing that can reverse this culture of weak look at me players Jerry has cultivated for 30+ years.

75boyz

Reaction score
I ask this for the sake of argument as so many fans think we should let his contract run out and this be our QB’s last season.

Other fans would at the very least like to wait and see the results this season before resigning him.

Im not interested in which you prefer but simply what your reaction would be.

So, what would it tell you about our owner if he resigns him before the season begins ?

And what would it tell you about your instincts on the situation?
That the owner is okay with status quo on the field.

It would confirm my instincts that this owner will continue trying to sell me on how this playoff challenged QB will change his spots after 8 failed years of trying.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My reaction would be disappointment. Evidently, the current nature of the situation is that the FO intends to wait until training camp and the preseason is over to determine Dak's future with the team. Reversing that intention would be contrary to what I'd consider a wise decision.

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I have been saying all along that if the Cowboys sign Dak it will happen just prior to the season so I would not be shocked. Below are my reasons:

1) Jerry loves the media talking about Dallas. This gives the media a talking point every time some player signs a new contract the media brings up Dak, Lamb, and Prescott. Jerry is a businessman and the Dallas Cowboys are a business. He's getting free advertising and free publicity. Like he has said before, any time the team's name is brought up it is a good thing even if it is negative.
2) Time value of money. Jerry is rich because he knows how to handle money. If Jerry gets this deal done in August then he will have delayed handing out an $80 million signing bonus for months. That's about $2 million of interest if invested conservatively. However, if he has that money in the S&P 500 or some other riskier portfolio then he may have netted an extra $12 million over that time. He's basically holding money allocated for Dak under his investment portfolio.

Some will say that he is losing money because the contracts keep increasing for QBs but I believe Jerry and Stephen probably already had an idea what these other QBs were going to sign for. These owners all talk to each other about this stuff. Jerry knows Dak's number and knows Dak isn't budging off of it because Dak knows if he doesn't get it from the Cowboys then he will get it from another team next year.
You could be right. And I would not be shocked. I have always said he runs this like a NORMAL business. And that has made him and the other owners more money than they could have ever imagined. But sports is not like a NORMAL business. Guys sit out and skip OTAs, training camps etc...when they don't get extensions. Attitudes amongst the players become just like the owner where MONEY is the #1 motivating factor. And then we wonder WHY the team appears to lack heart, chemistry, plan victory parties before a PLAYOFF game etc...Guys see franchises that make far less money sign guys to extensions and I think it creates animosity between the players and the organization. Free agents don't sign here because we want them to give us the "Dallas Cowboy" discount. It's just disgusting. I read the other day that Stephen Jones was livid with Jerry for signing Deion Sanders...and since that day Stephen has pretty much made it his mission to forgo free agency to add a key piece to put us over the top.

Good for Jerry that he's made a lot of money.....but other teams have managed to make money AND win....just not us. For the record...I do not count the 3 trophies that were under Jimmy's watch....if the last 30 years have taught us anything.....it was that it was MORE Jimmy than even I imagined at the time. Jerry as the architect of this coaching staff and roster has led Dallas to a group that only includes the Cowboys and the Commanders......the only 2 NFC franchises that have not competed for the NFC title game in ~30 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are badly confused, K.

Don Meredith never threw for more than 2,800 yards, 55% completion percentage, more than 24 TDs or higher than a 88 passer rating in a season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MereDo00.htm

Dak blows Don Meredith out of the water in every positive statistical category. It's not even close. Dak has thrown for 4,902 yards, 69.5% completion percentage, 37 TDs and a 105.9 passer rating in a season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

The only thing you got right is stating their comparison is not close to the same level.
Stats don’t always tell the whole story. Passing in the1960’s wasn’t near as prevalent as we’ve seen in the last 50 years. Same as Staubach in the 70’s.

I’d assume KS stance on Meredith is based on his pure talent level . Don was one of the premier passers for about 4 or 5 years after surviving the expansion years.

As far as stats we didn’t think Danny White or Romo were greater passers than Staubach, Aikman and Merideth when they surpassed previous Cowboy passing records.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While I agree that Dak and Dandy Don are closer than some people want to accept I don't think you can use raw numbers to make the case either way. Their eras are simply too different. The rule changes and the glacial shift in how the game is played now versus back then don't really allow for it. Dandy Don was a really good QB in his era and Dak is a really good QB in his era. The question of who is/was "better" is purely subjective.
Well said. You really can’t compare eras. Stats certainly don’t tell the whole story.

I really wouldn't hold much validity with anyone who hadn’t lived thru both eras. Videos and stats don’t tell the whole story.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
By that logic all modern QB's are better than earlier era's. It's very simply due to changes within the game, not individual talent. You can't just compare numbers across era's.
Yep.. we certainly didn’t think Danny White and Romo were better QB’s than Meredith, Staubach and Aikman when they surpassed Cowboys passing records.

Passing stats just become a taking point to support an opinion or narrative.

Last edited:

Yobwocs

Reaction score
LOL...........I mean common now down to Earth my man.
Jerry is DONE with this team and come the off-season the goodbye bus for out of Dallas will be filled.
2025 the New Cowboys begin.....
Living a fantasy is living a fantasy. This team isn't anywhere close to reviving a new era.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With ZERO offense to this great site, I've already cut my visiting and posting down by about 95% over the last 2-3 months....if Duk is signed, I'm guessing it would be next to nothing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Rockport and Rambo approve this message
Ya, man, I get where you're coming from as this is getting old and frustrating.
Who knows maybe Rockport and Rambo will be the only ones here squabbling about whose fault that Dak interception was. :muttley:

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I would be more than shocked. We did nothing to address RB1, WR2, TE2, promise but question marks on OL, DB/LB question marks surrounding health, etc, 2 grumpy unsigned franchise players...if the goal was to gl all-in and resign your franchise QB none of this would be in question.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Depends, i would seriously question why Dak doesnt like himself....unless Jerry killed him with money...in that case i would think thats Jerry doing Jerry dumb things...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well said. You really can’t compare eras. Stats certainly don’t tell the whole story.

I really wouldn't hold much validity with anyone who hadn’t lived thru both eras. Videos and stats don’t tell the whole story.
Yeah, videos and stats mean nothing. Only people's biased opinions matter.

Got it. :facepalm: