Whatever NFL

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How do you know those drive killing tripping penalties didn't cost the Cowboys the game?

I watched the game. The blocked punt/special teams play did us in more than anything else. I’m done with this!

Cebrin

Reaction score
How do you know those drive killing tripping penalties didn't cost the Cowboys the game?

They played part, and were definitely nails in the coffin. That special teams play, and zero balls by Garrett in the red-zone were certainly factors as well. A very frustrating game. The loss to the Jets hurts a lot more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Did you ever play football and actually excel in it to prove you understand what you are watching?

Yes I did play the game and excelled. The blocked punt/special teams play cost us the game. That blocked punt led to the games only TD. We also missed a FG and turned the ball over with an INT. New England played mistake free and we didn’t.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes I did play the game and excelled. The blocked punt/special teams play cost us the game. That blocked punt led to the games only TD. We also missed a FG and turned the ball over with an INT. New England played mistake free and we didn’t.
Agreed, but you don't know for sure those tripping calls also didn't cost the Cowboys the game. Had at worst only field goals come out of those 2 drives, it would have been enough to win the game.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Agreed, but you don't know for sure those tripping calls also didn't cost the Cowboys the game. Had at worst only field goals come out of those 2 drives, it would have been enough to win the game.

Field goals have cost us this year, though. We have a terrible kicker.

As a matter of fact, we're lucky they have a borrowed ex CB to go 2-4 for them. They'd have taken the game easily.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

They certainly contributed but the damage had already been done with the block punt, missed field goal and INT. Hard to overcome that against a team that played mistake free. Plus I feel it was a mistake kicking a FG on 4th and 7 with just over 6 minutes to play at the New England 11 yard line. Even with the FG we still needed a TD to take the lead. With the poor weather conditions and the clock ticking we were never going to be in that position again. Even if we missed on 4th down we would’ve had the Pats backed up at their own 11 yard line. They would have played it safe down there fearing a turnover. We would have likely had good field position on a punt. When you’re playing a great team, especially on their home field where they haven’t lost in 20 straight games you have to take some chances and gamble.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They certainly contributed but the damage had already been done with the block punt, missed field goal and INT. Hard to overcome that against a team that played mistake free. Plus I feel it was a mistake kicking a FG on 4th and 7 with just over 6 minutes to play at the New England 11 yard line. Even with the FG we still needed a TD to take the lead. With the poor weather conditions and the clock ticking we were never going to be in that position again. Even if we missed on 4th down we would’ve had the Pats backed up at their own 11 yard line. They would have played it safe down there fearing a turnover. We would have likely had good field position on a punt. When you’re playing a great team, especially on their home field where they haven’t lost in 20 straight games you have to take some chances and gamble.
That falls squarely on Garrett.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Yeah blame the loss on the league and the officiating. The Cowboys aren’t that good a football team deal with it!

Whether the Cowboys are good, bad or indifferent is completely beside the point. The officiating is horrible, outcomes are being manipulated and it has become so blatant that many fans are reassessing their loyalties.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Whether the Cowboys are good, bad or indifferent is completely beside the point. The officiating is horrible, outcomes are being manipulated and it has become so blatant that many fans are reassessing their loyalties.

I agree the officiating is not good. The only solution is to have more calls reviewable such as tripping calls.

IceBowler

Reaction score
I agree the officiating is not good. The only solution is to have more calls reviewable such as tripping calls.

I believe it may be to the point that it won't do any good. The PI review is a rubber stamp for missed calls. You heard the former Head of Officials in the booth trying to say the trip penalty on Fred was legit .. to the point that Troy became incredulous. Don't know what the answer is but I shudder to think of having more reviews. How bout taking the skirts of these players and letting the defense play the game like in the old days? We can protect the head and neck areas but the roughing calls and several others are just too open for interpretation and judgement - and that's where the criminality comes into play - and it DOES exist. Remember last season when Green Bay goes 14 straight quarters without a holding call? That's physically impossible to do but they were protecting Rogers and wanted wins for them.

I don't know - college is pathetic and crooked as H
Pros have really lost a lost of steam as far as I'm concerned.

Flamma

Reaction score
Didnt watch the game but dont know if we lost because of the refs. Its said on here after every loss lol.

Everything plays a role. Dallas lost because of special teams, but the refs made sure they couldn't overcome that.

Look at it this way. If a game is hard fought and closely played all the way to the end, what difference does it make how they got there? The fact is the game is going down to the wire. Now if a ref makes a phantom call, that could be a difference maker. Yet another obstacle to overcome along with your opponent.

I've never been one to whine about non calls. I wasn't part of the hordes that threw a fit on the non call in last year's championship game. Non calls don't bother me. Calls that don't exist or borderline (either way) calls bother me. Those shouldn't be called and the latter is called constantly.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
I watched the game. The blocked punt/special teams play did us in more than anything else. I’m done with this!
I'm pretty sure the blocked punt happened after the first tripping penalty was called, which pushed the Cowboys back to 2nd and 23 in which they were unable to convert. If so, It may have had more significance to the outcome of the game than realized, especially if it contributed to them having to punt in the first place.

Last edited:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Everything plays a role. Dallas lost because of special teams, but the refs made sure they couldn't overcome that.

Look at it this way. If a game is hard fought and closely played all the way to the end, what difference does it make how they got there? The fact is the game is going down to the wire. Now if a ref makes a phantom call, that could be a difference maker. Yet another obstacle to overcome along with your opponent.

I've never been one to whine about non calls. I wasn't part of the hordes that threw a fit on the non call in last year's championship game. Non calls don't bother me. Calls that don't exist or borderline (either way) calls bother me. Those shouldn't be called and the latter is called constantly.

Meh dallas most likely losses the giants game without calls going our way too. Dallas hasnt lost a game this season because of the refs. I'm not counting the Pat's game i have yet to determine that yet for myself.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score

I think his point is that the interception, bobbled special teams play and blocked punt were all factual things that clearly happened and undoubtedly affected the game. The problem with claiming the bad penalty calls changed the game is that it is totally subjective. I don't disagree that the calls sucked, but there is no way to know what would have happened if the calls had not been made.