What's everyone's take on MM's first year?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I was indifferent to the hire.

Big Mike’s first year was poor.

He has now had 3 losing seasons in a row. A downgrade from Garrett.

I thought his decision making was suspect, which is a major concern going forward.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It was like we didn't even have a coach. At least with Garrett, I could tell he was coaching, however poorly.
But I really didn't "feel" or "sense" McCarthy's presence on this team.

With Jimmy, even though he didn't call offensive or defensive plays, his brashness, his cockiness, his confidence permeated his teams.
I saw in no area where McCarthy made a difference. The offense was Kellen's and, in my opinion, no better than last year's offense.
I was EXTREMELY disappointed with McCarthy. I hope next year is better; otherwise, I hope we move on. They say it takes three years for a coach to implement his system. McCarthy shouldn't need that long with this talent. He should get two years, meaning next year, with a weaker schedule and more draft picks, we should be considerably better.

As Larry the Cable Guy says, "Git er done!"

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
A lot of times I thought it was Garrett out there coaching. For a guy who supposedly spent his off season learning how to be a better football coach. I didn't see it on the field.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so many excuse for mccarthy but every other first year coach who dealed with the same stuff did not crash and burn.

i will say...packer fans were right about him. can not wait for another 4 year because there will always be some excuse.

Well, all those teams did not miss 2/3 of their team to injuries either.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he made more in game mistakes than I had expected. that was our knock at Garrett, but MM made a lot of mistakes too.

Yes, this was my take, he had a lot of in games mistakes.
However how many were from them having to try to create something happen. To change the game. How many stupid play calls from Moore from the same situation.

A team is missing half their players or more, and down 3 scores, what do you do? So half of those calls depended on the situation, but still too many head scratchers as well.
I am still on the fence about him, but leaning too, yes he needs another year.

Aven8

Reaction score
I like Mike.

I didn’t like the fact he wasn’t going to call plays, only because I was sick of the JG offense. Having said that he and Moore seem to be an awesome combination, as we see a lot of bubble screens and finally run rub routes which Mike did a lot in GB.

The injuries were too much to overcome by any coach, and at one point at Wash they looked done. But he was able to pull them out of it and win some games.

His biggest mistake was Nolan.

I think he’s going to be fine here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Glad to see you back Ron!

It was a mixed bag this year. First of all I can’t recall when I’ve witnessed dumber coaching decisions risk on punts, 2 point conversion and 4th downs . Totally unbelievable !!

And something was wrong early on with our offense. I’ve never seen such turnover prong leading the league in turnover differential leaving us in insurmountable deficits to playoff caliber teams which led to 1-3 start.

Then once we begun having some defensive players return and the makeshift OL stabilize along with Daltons return we saw his coaching take more shape.

Initially during our 4 game losing streak leading us to 2-7 I thought he was losing the team but something happened. Just when we thought we should tank the season for higher draft picks we begun to make a surge.

Defense begun playing better creating turnovers and the offense begun to churn again. Amazing we were still in the divisional race until final week but that’s probably more about our dismal division . Otherwise this season would probably have resembled more of 2010 or 2015.

It’s difficult to make an evaluation but considering the Pandemic, injuries , etc definitely need to give him another shot. That said the defense was awful and a coaching change was needed there. Also we must take note of the off season FA moves which didn’t pan out overall and the starters on defense we released which appeared to cost us more than we intended. And the priority in the draft going offense in 1sr round which while added talent appeared more of a luxury pick which was evidence our Resident Football Idiot admittedly interjected himself.

We will see if we can resolve our QB situation and how that effects our priorities in the draft. Our immediate success rest on those decisions. I’d argue McCarthy was hired to win now not rebuild a team for the future and why these decisions moving forward are imminent in the direction we pursue.

Verdict

Reaction score
It depends on how you look at it. If you emphasize certain things you think, “Maybe it was a good hire” and if you look at it from the other side of things you think “What was I thinking, MM was a horrible hire!”.

Im willing to give him a reset based on all the injuries. His DC hire looked like a disaster, but time may tell us it wasn’t the DC that was the problem, it was the personnel.

75boyz

Reaction score
Well, I mean if the grading scale floor stops at F minus and all. He earned it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I was right about only one thing last offseason....

I thought Nolans scheme would create serious confusion. It definitely did.

cmoney23

Reaction score
I thought the hire was ok... I wanted Urban Meyer. But after listening to him and researching it grew on me.

To come in with no offseason, no training camp, drafting from his house and Jerry on a yacht, to then have a rash of injuries like I've never seen I will give him a pass.

But there were a lot of really, really bad calls. Fake punts, etc. Stuff smart football coaches don't do.
The Mike Nolan hire was a huge mistake, I said it from the jump. You don't hire him as a DC anymore.

Looking back at his time in GB, when they had a good defensive staff and unit, they were good. When they didn't, they weren't. I think he needs a DC that can handle that side of the ball and Mike Nolan can't do that.
We will see this year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Decision making - D. Everything else, Incomplete.

He was my choice after Rivera was off the table but now I wonder about that. I scoffed at the posts made by people more familiar with the GB situation about "no tears in their beers" but he is very suspect as a HC right now.

One thing I do like about him, He withstood the rat in the root cellar and his team seemed to rally around him. I think him bringing in Nolan was a problem with the players and not just on offense.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was okay with him being brought in, but I am on the fence now.
Don't make her say it...
giphy.gif

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I can't think of one thing he brought to the table. The offense was the same, the defense and special teams were bad. He made a bunch of boneheaded game management calls, which from a supposed analytics guru, is disappointing to say the least.

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
hate it. I can make way better AND smart game decisions... some are SO obvious like challenging that Giants catch to kick them out of FG range...inexcusable dummy coach

the joneses are the worst.