What's Next? Cowboys' LB corps is in dire straits

starfan1

Reaction score
Sure, and maybe so, but I didn’t get the roulette analogy.

Some NFL teams are clearly better than others entering a season and it’s not a 1/32 for every one of them.
True coming into the season San Fran, Buffalo, Dallas, Philly ,KC etc all expected to do damage

kskboys

Reaction score
The cap does matter and they will create space.
Of course. How much is the question. They first have to take care of the 16 mil we are over, so the amount of space they can create is definitely limited.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly how does it matter on February 11, 2024?
Because we have to start finagling to get under the cap. The cap always matters. If a team doesn't get under the cap, they will pay a steep cost w/ draft picks being taken away and/or contracts being negated.

erod

Reaction score
This is a GREAT article about the LB situation. It needs some major additions this off season. And for goodness sake move Bell back to safety please! Must read article.

What's Next? Cowboys' LB corps is in dire straits
Feb 09, 2024
Patrik Walker

ccaouwzm6fgnu41pdjce.jpg

FRISCO, TX — One thing was made evident in 2023 by the Dallas Cowboys' defense, and that's the fact that linebackers do, in fact, matter. Some of the struggles in run defense were attributable to the lack of size in the LBs room, Damone Clark notwithstanding, and a career-threatening injury to Leighton Vander Esch only made matters instantly worse.

With Dan Quinn now in Washington with the Commanders, and Mike Zimmer replacing him as defensive coordinator, it's likely the Cowboys revisit their approach to the linebacker position.

It feels like a foregone conclusion that they will, considering just how prominent linebackers have historically been to Zimmer's defenses in the past.

And that would be welcome news, in my opinion.

Take a look below at where everything stands now, and where it should soon.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/what-s-next-cowboys-lb-corps-is-in-dire-straits
This is really easy to fix. Linebackers aren't hard to identify and find. But you have to make it a priority.

They didn't even look at Roquan Smith or Bobby Wagner last year. That was stupid.

phildadon86

Reaction score
This is really easy to fix. Linebackers aren't hard to identify and find. But you have to make it a priority.

They didn't even look at Roquan Smith or Bobby Wagner last year. That was stupid.
I was livid when I saw baltimore traded for Smith. He would have fixed a lot of issues on this team. Instead. We got Mazi Smith.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner will be age 34, but he is also due to be a FA this year in 2024, off just a one year deal with Seattle
in which he still made another pro bowl.

Would he be worth a shot at him as we ignored him last FA period ? , instead settling for injury prone decent only type LVE
I saw Wagner this season, doesn't look like the same player at all. He got to add a younger option, one that can start for a few seasons as they groom his eventual replacement. Josey Jewel is a fa I like, but there are a few others as well. Linebacker class isn't to great, nor deep this year.

mardwin

Reaction score
The LB corp is nonexistent. LVE will not be back, Overshown might be too light. and the mouth is now a rusher.

LB will be a major concern in the draft. Probably around round 5 or later. "In Jerry, we trust, in Jerry we die"

We need a new TE in the first, the new guy is not looking good.
Lol!!! Funny and accurate.

"LB will be a major concern in the draft. Probably around round 5 or later. "In Jerry, we trust, in Jerry we die"

We need a new TE in the first, the new guy is not looking good."

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
The LB corp is nonexistent. LVE will not be back, Overshown might be too light. and the mouth is now a rusher.

LB will be a major concern in the draft. Probably around round 5 or later. "In Jerry, we trust, in Jerry we die"

We need a new TE in the first, the new guy is not looking good.
why do we need a new TE when Ferguson did the job so well? he earned it, let him have it.