What's Next? Cowboys' LB corps is in dire straits

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't get excited over FA. Because nothing happens that makes a difference. We will sign half of our own, and some mid to low level guys. Probably one year deals again.
Only thing to look forward to FA this year is, will they get LB's for Zimmer. And how many. No, they will not get big names.
And will they announce, Micah will play more of a traditional LB role, but also use him to pass rush, but better disguised.
We have no money to sign FA difference makers.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Super Bowl is a roulette wheel. 2 numbers out of 32 land there and there is only one winner in the end.
No it's not. Not even close. Absolutely awful parallel.
In any given year, there are no more than 2-8 actual super bowl contenders. And it's blatantly obvious who they will be if you examine their personnel and the moves they made.

Take Cincy, for example. What made them a super bowl contender? Combo of things:

1) Top 5 QB.
2) Roster full of talent from having early draft picks. Those draft picks came from tanking.
3) Signing key FA's: NT, DT, and DE were the biggest ones, as those 3 are the major cogs that got them there.
4) Not overpaying players. That's what allowed them to sign the aforementioned 3 as well as 3 of their starting D backfield.

It's not Roulette, not even close. More like a chess game where early moves generally dictate how the game will go.

kskboys

Reaction score
Need to see where we are mid March. After the 2024 cap Limit is announced. And any reworked contracts.
It's going to take a ton of reworking just to get underneath the cap. Don't see how we'll get far enough under it to sign anyone of consequence.

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what it's at right now.
Oh, it matters. Many claim the salary cap is irrelevant while all over the league teams are letting key players go to get under it. Getting under it and creating room to sign anyone significant is a huge order.

Robster8989

Reaction score
They need a complete overhaul on the inside.

Parsons and Overshown are your starting points.

Clark is good depth, Vander Esch cannot be counted on.

Simple fix sign Josey Jewell as your starter, then sign a cheaper vet like Chaisson ($3 million) and draft Junior Colson early and a guy like Tommy Eichenberg or Dallas Gant on day 3.

You can then line up MICAH-JEWELL-OVERSHOWN (Vet to play if Overshown needs more time)

You groom Colson to be your future LB and Clark can eat snaps when needed.
Love your take.
We can make a big impact with a 2nd level singing (like Jewell or Cashman), and a day 2 pick (like Eichenberg or Colson).
Overshown returns and Clark is a rotational piece. LVE is gone IMO, needs to retire. Then maybe spend some late picks at LB for additional depth, special teams etc. I see the "sign Patrick Queen" threads. Love it but it will never happen. Realistically adding Jewell and Eichenberg would be huge. Tackling machines who stop the run. Need more at DT too.

kskboys

Reaction score
It doesn't matter right now. They will have cap space.
If you'd have read the above post, you would've already seen my answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laugh at you posters who claim the salary cap doesn't matter. Once again, teams are releasing good players all over the league because of it. Do you really think the Chiefs wanted to get rid of Tyreek, Chardavius Ward, Smith-Schuster, Orlando Brown, Frank Clark, Thornhill, Andrew Wylie, and several others? Absolutely not. So, why'd they do it? Salary cap. It's so simple.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
W/ what salary cap room? We're like 30 mil over right now.
Where do you get 30. Over the cap has us at 20. And that is with what the projected cap may be, from their opinion. It usually comes in higher.
I can pick 10 lower level players easily that can be replaced with rookies. To get half of that, then can save another 2 million or more but dumping Rush.

kskboys

Reaction score
Where do you get 30. Over the cap has us at 20. And that is with what the projected cap may be, from their opinion. It usually comes in higher.
I can pick 10 lower level players easily that can be replaced with rookies. To get half of that, then can save another 2 million or more but dumping Rush.
Just what I heard.

Still don't see the amount needed to sign the impact FA's needed. Unless we're truly not going to resign Dak, and so we can push their salaries into 25 and beyond. Guess that's an option.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just what I heard.

Still don't see the amount needed to sign the impact FA's needed. Unless we're truly not going to resign Dak, and so we can push their salaries into 25 and beyond. Guess that's an option.
They are never players in FA anyway, they focus on their own and the draft.
I don’t buy it for a second what Jerry says, about changing and being all in.

kskboys

Reaction score
They are never players in FA anyway, they focus on their own and the draft.
I don’t buy it for a second what Jerry says, about changing and being all in.
We are not players because we don't have the room. Believe me, Jerry would be spending a ton in FA every year if we had the room, that's his nature.

Jerry is struggling to come up w/ something, anything, to keep people engaged. He actually thought we had a super bowl team, and cannot comprehend the complete dismantling of our team. If he truly pays attention to this website as I've heard, then he is making horrific decisions as to whom to listen to. This playoff loss was blatantly easy to see coming.

quickccc

Reaction score
They haven’t signed a high priced fa in over a decade

Bobby Wagner will be age 34, but he is also due to be a FA this year in 2024, off just a one year deal with Seattle
in which he still made another pro bowl.

Would he be worth a shot at him as we ignored him last FA period ? , instead settling for injury prone decent only type LVE

kskboys

Reaction score
Just looked it up and they said 16 and change.

rambo2

Reaction score
If you'd have read the above post, you would've already seen my answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laugh at you posters who claim the salary cap doesn't matter. Once again, teams are releasing good players all over the league because of it. Do you really think the Chiefs wanted to get rid of Tyreek, Chardavius Ward, Smith-Schuster, Orlando Brown, Frank Clark, Thornhill, Andrew Wylie, and several others? Absolutely not. So, why'd they do it? Salary cap. It's so simple.
The cap does matter and they will create space.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I believe you missed the point. There can be only 1

You’re not wrong in the aspect that niners and chiefs are built different but any given Sunday anything can happen

Not many expected the packers to beat us but they did
Sure, and maybe so, but I didn’t get the roulette analogy.

Some NFL teams are clearly better than others entering a season and it’s not a 1/32 for every one of them.