CFZ What's really going on, and what's this season really about?

Jipper

Reaction score
I love the optimism. I do. It’s very clear that the OL play will determine the season and I believe the outcome is binary.

nothing to argue with there, as goes the lines so will go the team and season…here’s hoping we see a blue just signed post in the next week on here

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think this season has a different feel to it. You win the division in 2021 then instead of making moves to get the team over the hump they cut back. Odd.

They cut La'el Collins when they were already light at OT and for what? To get a CAP save on June 1, a CAP save they would not even use? Say what you want about Collins but "wish you were here" is probably what comes to mind. The point is they just banked his CAP save and did not bother to apply it to the team to make an improvement somewhere.

We'll see how the rest of the year pans out but it is true Dak's CAP hit in 2023 is $49 million! Lawrence's is $26 million. Tyron Smith's is $17 million, although I expect them to cut or trade him if they can assuming Tyler Smith can play LT.

The Cowboys are already $5 million over the projected CAP for 2023, That's not a lot but I am sure they would rather be $15 million under. Carrying over $20 million would be a sweet bonus next offseason.

The thing is though, they can get under the CAP easily next year cutting Zeke and Tyron. Cutting them before June 1 give them a $14 million CAP save. After June 1 they save as much as $27 million. We'll see how Zeke does this year, but I think it is safe to say Tyron is or should be finished with Dallas, especially if Tyler Smith works out at LT. Even if he doesn't they may still try to go with Ball or Waletzko after another year of coaching.

So while rolling over CAP looks like an obvious motivation, I still think something else is going on.
:muttley:And then folks wonder why they are saving the 20+ million????

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best thing that could happen is we get a top 5 pick.
56d8842d694db6012dd84c8b31ee33d8.gif

Whyjerry

Reaction score
But the others are missing starters where Dallas isn't.

Football is about attrition. Always has been.

How many are playoff contenders with a 40 million dollar QB, the highest paid RB in the league, and a LT that hasn’t played a full season since 2015?

It’s like buying a Ferrari with 3 tires.

erod

Reaction score
How many are playoff contenders with a 40 million dollar QB, the highest paid RB in the league, and a LT that hasn’t played a full season since 2015?

It’s like buying a Ferrari with 3 tires.
Which is exactly why they drafted his replacement in the first round. Hopefully, they got the pick right.

You don't draft a left tackle in the first round, then sign the most expensive left tackle in free agency.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
It’s so funny how people in here try to find ulterior motives for this front office. Thinking that dumb and dumber have these brilliant plans up their sleeves. These two idiots have no damn clue what they’re doing and instead of thinking they’re two steps ahead of us, understand that they’re two steps behind us.
You h ave every right to those conclusions but their diffidently saving. Cap money it isn't their money its team money and big contracts are looming,

cowboyec

Reaction score
I think some are reading too much strategy into the thinking on this team. The Joneses are year to year unless they're trying to get out in front of re-signing a valuable player before the present contract is up.

I think they took a look at losing 2 starting OL and WR's and figured that was too much to replace in the draft and too expensive in FA, if the players were even there.

I also think they are not 100% that Lamb is a #1 that will force DC's to adjust,

This latest shot to the head, Big Smitty, didn't fire them up to try and fix that, more let's just let this roll.

The one thing I do not agree on is that the Joneses have been silent, they're as chatty as ever with Booger trying to convince people that they are out in front of any left curve. Lose the LT, doesn't matter, we've got other players.

And you can bet they'll tie the mouths of the coaching staff so they're all supportive of the two brilliant football men.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when McC and his OL coaching staff meet behind closed doors.

And we will get nothing but spin from Prescott, the company man. Meanwhile, Rodgers is calling his WR corps out in GB. Which do you think the players think is a leader?
the one who doesn't throw his teammates and coaches under the bus...or knife his coaches in the back so he can hand pick the next coach he'll jack ripper.
rodgers is no leader.
he's all about rodgers.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What's really going on is this team drafted Tyler Smith to replace Tyron Smith. It's just happening sooner than they planned. This season is about winning the Super Bowl.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post as there is an elephant in the room and as much as some might want here you cannot hide him!
The next 2 seasons will be about in with the NEW and out with the OLD as they failed to produce anything significant while being paid a boatload of cash!
The Bus is waiting and ya seats will be filling the next 2 offseasons.....

20210112151442503.png

It should be filled with the "disliker" fans and fake fans. :lmao2:

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Great post as there is an elephant in the room and as much as some might want here you cannot hide him!
The next 2 seasons will be about in with the NEW and out with the OLD as they failed to produce anything significant while being paid a boatload of cash!
The Bus is waiting and ya seats will be filling the next 2 offseasons.....

20210112151442503.png
Hasn't that been the elephant in the room for 26 years. This franchise has wasted the careers of man talented players due to mismanagement by this dumb front office. The only strategy they employ is to draft well and hope those guys can make a run while on their rookie deals. We won't utilize the other methods of building a winner. Just the draft and hope we hit ever year.

JBS

Reaction score
You h ave every right to those conclusions but their diffidently saving. Cap money it isn't their money its team money and big contracts are looming,
Yea of course. For their own players. Players we know are going to get paid. Parsons. Lamb. Diggs. Others.

not for some sneaky brilliant plan none of us are aware of.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think somewhere along the line they came up with the idea of writing in Diggs and Lamb and Micah on a cap forecast a few years out and are blinded by it and saving space for it. Not realizing things like an increasing cap, players like Tyron coming off the books and backloading cap hits will take care of a part of it.

They were so stupid and shortsighted with pissing away cap hits year after year a decade or so back that they did a complete 180 and now don’t understand you do need to augment your roster through free agency or scrap it and tank and start over with early draft picks and extra draft picks. Their way is just a road map to mediocrity. They just aren’t able to see the forest through the trees.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Which is exactly why they drafted his replacement in the first round. Hopefully, they got the pick right.

You don't draft a left tackle in the first round, then sign the most expensive left tackle in free agency.
Where did I say sign the most expensive tackle?Please show me exactly where I said that. I said depth not sign the most expensive tackle. Smith goes down then it’s Ball or a 5th round project with a bad shoulder. Not even sure about Steele yet. Depth is a big problem. Take off the rose colored glasses and come to the light.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Dallas drafted Tyler Smith to be the future left tackle with a precious first- round pick?

So, why would this franchise suddenly overpay a player on a multi-year contract to play left tackle?

Especially here. This is Stephen Jones we're talking about, who is finicky with the money these days and loves his cheap draft picks more than winning football games.

At least, for now he does, it seems.

There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason. Why would that be if this is the right structure to succeed and go for it. Key players are in their prime right now.

To me, it seems curious, if not a bit obvious.

This is a prove-it year for a lot of people. McCarthy, Moore, Dak, Zeke, Schultz, and perhaps Lamb are among those key people. They obviously love what's happening on the defensive side, but the offense remains an enigma wrapped in a puzzle. Hot and cold. Dynamic at times, but stuck in the mud when it matters.

Are they already consulting with Quinn about players and the right moves to make? Sean Payton? What do those two think of the offensive scheme and personnel?

Are they stacking cap space so they can act quickly if this season doesn't go well and the next staff wants to make big changes? Quinn, Payton, or whomever?

I'm not suggesting Quinn would sabotage the team, but his true thoughts as a great defensive mind about this offense do hold value. Is this path the right one? Who would he want where? Same for Sean Payton, who is very close to the Joneses. Do they meet regularly perhaps privately? Don't forget Lincoln Riley, too, who is also close to Jerry and Stephen.

It feels like they're drying the powder, rather than playing entirely for the now. That's OK, by the way. Ultimately, the coaches and players will decide how this thing goes.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a storm brewing one way or the other, good or bad.

Jerry and Stephen seem quiet these days by their standards. Keeping things close to the vest isn't their style, but here we are. Ton of good, young talent. Bright future in that regard, but what to do now?

This will be a very interesting season indeed.
I think the Jones family is going broke...and can't cut the big checks...like everyone assumes they can.