What's Stopping Dak's Agent From Getting Him The Same Type Of Deal Again?

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Since i highly doubt we go into next season with that high cap number, i see only 3 real options

1. Trade him - very unlikely due to the no trade clause and don't really see many qb needy teams giving up the picks and new contract

2. Dak lowers his cap by taking less money - even more unlikely cuz nobody does that anymore

3. We extend him - most likely and we're stuck with him another 4 years

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be now.

Pay him the stupid money this year and get it over with because it's just going to get more stupid 4 or 5 years from now.

If we have to lose players because of it then so be it. Lesson learned.
Make him a offer that equates to his postseason success. If he doesn't like it, tell him to wave the no trade clause.

Bottom line - the sooner he is gone the better.

Swagger

Reaction score
There should only be two options:

1. Trade him to the Falcons. They are the only team who might come in for him and who Prescott could be interested in joining.

2. Failing which, he's a post 1st June 2024 cut.

Resigning him simply shouldn't be a consideration. Why resign the biggest loser play off QB in NFL history to another long term contract! It's beyond brainless. He isn't up to it when not facing horrific teams/awful pass defenses and there are many years of tape reflecting the same. You only have to go as far back as Sunday - as the old adage goes, you are only as good as your last game...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be now.

Pay him the stupid money this year and get it over with because it's just going to get more stupid 4 or 5 years from now.

If we have to lose players because of it then so be it. Lesson learned.
I just made a post in another thread about this. Will go copy it and edit this and paste it.

edit….copied from another thread I posted this in…

Dak still has the leverage. Because no way will Jerry pay him $59 mill next season. Nor will he let him walk and pay him that much either.

Jerry will make us suffer through a 4 year extension meaning 5 more years. Just to go through it all again.
Jerry has eaten contracts before, but not to the tune of this, nor can he let his pride go. It will be another 5 years of … I did it my way … mantra. ….

Jerry best option actually, let him play on that $59 deal. And see what he can do with a new HC, Then move on from Dak if same results. However I do not see that happening either.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
To the people saying to extend Dak, what does that contract look like?

I kept hearing Dak wanted 60$M per year before the debacle against the Packers and that's exactly what is owed for the year remaining so how is extending him a better option?

rambo2

Reaction score
What's in the way of it being another situation of Dak's owed so much money in his last year that the Cowboys can't afford to not extend him 4 years from now?

Do we really want to pay a 35 year old Dak 75-80 mil his final season?

Are we just going to keep extending him until he retires?

Where does it end?
Your obsession with Dak Prescott is comical.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Agree... I think any FA qb can take this roster to the same place as dak. It might not be 12-5 but i'm sure he can get us to the wildcard lol.
You're out of your mind.

This is the same logic as "They can win with Andy Dalton" and "just role with Cooper Rush!"

It's so stupid. There's a reason good quarterbacks aren't free agents.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, are you 13?
Think about this for a second.

I told you how this season would end all year. Every chance I got I told you. I know I predicted 9-8 preseason. So what? They won 3 whole game more that I predicted WOW. That's it. 3 games. Big deal.

You literally said this years team is better than the 90s teams.

If I was 13 would it really make you, a 67 year old, feel better about being so wrong compared to a 13 years old?

ATXSRT

Reaction score
You're out of your mind.

This is the same logic as "They can win with Andy Dalton" and "just role with Cooper Rush!"

Lamar Jackson was a free agent this offseason.

rambo2

Reaction score
Think about this for a second.

I told you how this season would end all year. Every chance I got I told you. I know I predicted 9-8 preseason. So what? They won 3 whole game more that I predicted WOW. That's it. 3 games. Big deal.

If I was 13 would it really make you, a 67 year old, feel better about being so wrong compared to a 13 years old?
Think about this. You said they would win 8 games last year and 9 games this year. You just pull **** out of your ***.

Mikexike

Reaction score
You're out of your mind.

I like how you use Andy Dalton and Cooper Rush as your example.

HMJYay

Reaction score
Since i highly doubt we go into next season with that high cap number, i see only 3 real options

1. Trade him - very unlikely due to the no trade clause and don't really see many qb needy teams giving up the picks and new contract

2. Dak lowers his cap by taking less money - even more unlikely cuz nobody does that anymore

3. We extend him - most likely and we're stuck with him another 4 years
I think if they told Dak there was going to be a true QB competition all year next year, or he can be traded I think he might just accept a trade a place he wants to go. would a team he wants to go to trade for him? Maybe, but the Cowboys shouldn't expect to get a haul for him. I can see a 2nd and a 3rd for him.

The problem with extending him is you already know who Dak is. You can structure it however you want, eventually the bill is owed and the Cowboys will be worse off then they are now. If he won't take a true competition or a trade, you cut him, designate it after June 1st. Save 31 million on the cap this year (and eat 25 million). Save 25 million on the cap next year and eat 25 million. There are options that can be done, the problem is Jerry will have to be able to sell it, he won't do it if he can't sell it. But, on the other hand, how the heck do you justify giving him a big extension, when if they would have just not given it to him 4 years ago, they would have a new QB in their system already. They made a mistake on the first contract, they need to own it and not double down. But, Jerry doesn't usually do that, or Stephen for that matter.