What's taking so long?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
There is no dysfunction in this situation. The Cowboys likely want to interview one or more coaches who are on the last 4 teams.

You have Moore under contract so waiting 2 extra weeks is not going to matter unless someone tries to hire him away at this point and no one has to this point.

In fact, what I find really interesting is that if Moore is the boy genius the media claims him to be, why didn't other teams interview him for the many openings they have had?
Maybe other teams are afraid he'll follow the same learning curve as Garrett? Assuming Garrett was a progress stopper and stunted the development of his coaching staff while he was learning on the job himself.

What sucks is having to wait for the chance to interview potential candidates who's season hasn't ended yet when the rest of the league was going about it during the playoffs.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If Kellen Moore is your guy, announce it already. What's up with the wait?

Or could there be something else going on here?

I was going to pose that same question sturt.

My thoughts for what it's worth? First Jerry mentioned that things could open up in two weeks and he said that a week or so ago. Two things have happened since then, Linehan was cut and SB finalists are known. The potential replacement could come from one of the two losers of the conference round or one of the SB participants in which case the decision and talks are either on-going or put on hold until after the SB. Also remember the Senior Bowl is coming up and there are dozens of coaches there from the NFL and college ranks.I've even read that he could be going after Sean Payton which is just click bait IMO. The role of Kitna hasn't even been announced yet nor confirmed. If he's the QB coach then I assume Moore will have a new roll in the offense.

Obviously still some moving parts that even the most knowledgeable fan doesn't know and there are some fans who pretend to know everything

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe other teams are afraid he'll follow the same learning curve as Garrett? Assuming Garrett was a progress stopper and stunted the development of his coaching staff while he was learning on the job himself.

What sucks is having to wait for the chance to interview potential candidates who's season hasn't ended yet when the rest of the league was going about it during the playoffs.
True, but to be fair, the Cowboys just recently exited the playoffs where most of those other teams had their seasons end weeks ago.

The Cowboys were likely thinking that if they made it to the championship game or higher that they would keep the staff. Because they lost in the divisional round, that led to re-evaluating the coaching staff which is probably why Garrett said he did not expect many changes to it.

In any case, the Cowboys know exactly what they have in Moore so they know if they want to promote and/or keep him or look elsewhere first.

Given the staleness of our offensive scheme for the last few years, it is a smart move for them to at least consider their options. It very well may turn out that they like and appreciate Moore even more after interviewing other candidates, but they may also realize Moore has a lot to learn as well. Interviewing other candidates is the best way for them to answer that and other questions they may have.

cern

Reaction score
If Kellen Moore is your guy, announce it already. What's up with the wait?

Or could there be something else going on here?
cowboys coaches are at the pro bowl. he just might make a few calls there. (an audition of sorts) I suspect a decision, whatever it might be, will come shortly thereafter. Stephen does not want garrett being both the hc and oc.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

lol, the interviewees during the playoffs were mostly out of a job after being fired from a team not in the playoffs. The interviewers were not in the playoffs and looking for a replacement for the guy they fired. Linehan can now be added to the list of interviewees :grin:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
True, but to be fair, the Cowboys just recently exited the playoffs where most of those other teams had their seasons end weeks ago.

The Cowboys were likely thinking that if they made it to the championship game or higher that they would keep the staff. Because they lost in the divisional round, that led to re-evaluating the coaching staff which is probably why Garrett said he did not expect many changes to it.

In any case, the Cowboys know exactly what they have in Moore so they know if they want to promote and/or keep him or look elsewhere first.

Given the staleness of our offensive scheme for the last few years, it is a smart move for them to at least consider their options. It very well may turn out that they like and appreciate Moore even more after interviewing other candidates, but they may also realize Moore has a lot to learn as well. Interviewing other candidates is the best way for them to answer that and other questions they may have.

Nice post and totally realistic

ksadler1

Reaction score
must be other options on the table.
otherwise...the delay doesn't make sense.
are they waiting til AFTER the pro bowl?

I don't know about waiting until after the pro bowl, but l agree with the "other options" part of it. At this point l don't think even Garrett's job is safe. . .

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not worried that they haven't named an OC yet.

Just get it right. This team has momentum, don't waste it on an attempt to appear clever. Go get the best guy available.

Sammy

Reaction score
I think they're auditioning him at the Pro Bowl. Linehan is already gone so someone has to do it. The PB people have said no more goofing around games, they expect players to actually play. So the Cowboys will have an opporutnity to evaluate how well Kellen uses players talents, how well he schemes for the individual defensive players, and how well he can make in-game and half time adjustments.

links18

Reaction score
In fact, what I find really interesting is that if Moore is the boy genius the media claims him to be, why didn't other teams interview him for the many openings they have had?

Because that is a bunch of spin being put out by the Cowboys to puff him up in case they have no other options?

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Let them take their time . I don’t believe any of the speculation that’s out there has ANYTHING to do with let’s see how the fans react . It’s just speculation. If the owner of the Dallas Cowboys or heck any NFL team wants to hire Pee Wee Herman as their head coach or OC or Waterboy , they’re not going to run it up the flagpole to see how we will react..they will simply hire who they want and for the reasons they want .. period .. it doesn’t matter whether some here agree or disagree with their decision .. the sooner this fan base and other fan bases just accept that , the better off they will be.. when they have made their moves and finalized any and all details then we will be made aware if they choose us to be so informed .. .. I really don’t get all the hand wringing over speculation , rumors and innuendos ...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because that is a bunch of spin being put out by the Cowboys to puff him up in case they have no other options?
That's quite possible. Of course it is also possible that they are not the ones leaking the information and they are hoping if he is really good that no one will notice a little longer :D

links18

Reaction score
Let them take their time . I don’t believe any of the speculation that’s out there has ANYTHING to do with let’s see how the fans react . It’s just speculation. If the owner of the Dallas Cowboys or heck any NFL team wants to hire Pee Wee Herman as their head coach or OC or Waterboy , they’re not going to run it up the flagpole to see how we will react..they will simply hire who they want and for the reasons they want .. period .. it doesn’t matter whether some here agree or disagree with their decision .. the sooner this fan base and other fan bases just accept that , the better off they will be.. when they have made their moves and finalized any and all details then we will be made aware if they choose us to be so informed .. .. I really don’t get all the hand wringing over speculation , rumors and innuendos ...

Organizations make coaching hires at times to maintain legitimacy with the fan base. Heck, even Jerry did it once when he hired Parcells to pave the way for his new stadium.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Organizations make coaching hires at times to maintain legitimacy with the fan base. Heck, even Jerry did it once when he hired Parcells to pave the way for his new stadium.

Ok .. you keep thinking that then .. they may hire someone (ie Parcells ) to assure marketing value and investor value to appear like it is to legitimize to a fan base .. but in general day to day decisions in operations like sports teams make , fans have little to no influence on them as long as their profit margin continues to show growth etc .. WE as fans have no influence on what decisions team ownership makes .. until or unless they sense their decision / decisions have a negative fiscal impact .. quite frankly your opinion or mine hasn’t done anything to their bottom line so they will continue to make decisions the way they see fit

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Also, isn't it at the Senior bowl where a lot of teams generally do a lot of business ? As in, lots of out of work coach's, players usually have their agents there, and are meeting with the different clubs/F.O's. Agents trying to get long term deals hashed out etc. Would probably assume next week is when we will here something, as they should be conducting interviews etc. this week and come to a decision by next week. The Moore is the backup plan if they don't sign someone else theory seems logical to me.

links18

Reaction score
Ok .. you keep thinking that then .. they may hire someone (ie Parcells ) to assure marketing value and investor value to appear like it is to legitimize to a fan base .. but in general day to day decisions in operations like sports teams make , fans have little to no influence on them as long as their profit margin continues to show growth etc .. WE as fans have no influence on what decisions team ownership makes .. until or unless they sense their decision / decisions have a negative fiscal impact .. quite frankly your opinion or mine hasn’t done anything to their bottom line so they will continue to make decisions the way they see fit

Fan interest doesn't impact the bottom line?