What's the Best WR option in RD 1?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Besides the value at WR in 2nd or 3rd round is better than corner in the 2nd or 3rd round.

So drafting a corner at 17 & WR in 2nd or 3rd would bring a higher combination value as a pair than taking a WR & corner later.

We can grab KJ Hamler, Jalen Reagor or Devin Duvernay

Wouldnt having CJ Henderson & KJ Hamler be sweet
Honestly, I love Henderson but have very little hope he will be available at 17. Lamb/Juedy & Gladney/Terrell/Dantzler would be much more sweeter.

funkytown

Reaction score
Agree with this completely and I think MM said something similar about collecting talent. I’d take Jeudy or Lamb easily. As far as guys later..say the run doesn’t hit at WR until Rd 2...I’d look Reagor or Justin Jefferson(slot) in Rd 2 but highly doubtful they are there.

I agree. Collecting talent is what the draft should be all about. When you start drafting for need or drafting a guy because he "fits", that's when this team screws up. Again, I'll throw out the names of Charlton and Hill as examples of this. We drafted them because they fit Rod's scheme. He's gone. His scheme is gone.

Jeudy, Lamb, and even Ruggs should be locks if available at round 1. But I'll admit the WR depth is insane this year. We can find a guy anywhere in the draft this year that can come in and contribute right away, especially in the slot.

a few guys I'm looking at in rounds 3 through 5:

Pittman, Van Jefferson, Bowden, Duvernay, Proche, Cephus

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Lamb or Jeudy or Ruggs is there at 17, the phone might be ringing.

I would be very tempted to move down a little. Grab that extra 3rd and draft a WR on day 2.

Adding 3 defensive players and a WR (or even 2 players on each side of the ball) in the first 3 rounds sounds good to me.

at 17 there will be a stud defense available.

JBS

Reaction score
That’s where it becomes a question mark. Do the cowboys like chaisson?

Two posts ago you said there will be a defensive stud available

Now it's questionable after 2 guys who are both unlikely to be there at 17 are of the board lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Two posts ago you said there will be a defensive stud available

Now it's questionable after 2 guys who are both unlikely to be there at 17 are of the board lol

lol....nothing is likely but the scenario you want.

I like chaisson, but do the cowboys?

all good defense is gone, yet ruggs drops right?

in that case I listen to all trade offers. After all the greatest wr ever is available. Lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hes easily the next best option

If he's also gone..then there is basically nothing left

Are you a draft expert? Scout?

Or do you think you are after reading a few mock drafts?

if all quality defensive players are gone I probably look to trade down. Unless one of these receivers drops and the cowboys agree they can’t pass up. I would weight all options.

I would NOT take a reach defensive player over a stud receiver.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It amazes me how drafting for need is widely understood as a big no bueno as a basic philosophy, yet everyone ignores that come this time of year.

It's your classic hope that BPA meets need in every single round.

Also theres someone willing to trade up whenever you feel like trading down.

It never, EVER, works that way. None of it.

Someone is going to get hurt, and a position everyone figured was covered suddenly isnt.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hes easily the next best option

If he's also gone..then there is basically nothing left

so let’s do the reverse here. If kinlaw, Henderson, or chaisson are available when we pick are you still taking ruggs?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fff7e335a4622f757838926ad75f7001.png

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ruggs should be able to play the slot or outside

interesting because Devin Smith coming out of college seems just like ruggs and many are claiming Smith isn’t a slot guy.

personally I don’t buy the slot specialty comments. If a guy can play, he can play anywhere.

JBS

Reaction score
Are you a draft expert? Scout?

Or do you think you are after reading a few mock drafts?

if all quality defensive players are gone I probably look to trade down. Unless one of these receivers drops and the cowboys agree they can’t pass up. I would weight all options.

I would NOT take a reach defensive player over a stud receiver.

Are you a draft expert or scout? What qualifies you to suggest anything?

OK then

JBS

Reaction score
so let’s do the reverse here. If kinlaw, Henderson, or chaisson are available when we pick are you still taking ruggs?

Never once did I say I was taking Ruggs over all of those guys. Just bc I'm open to taking a WR, doesn't mean I'm closed to taking other positions