What's the Cowboys answer to the Eagles

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
One of us ...

could mean one of the "winners" of years gone by...

could mean join the "band-wagon" because I'm a minority on the MB...

could mean become a Cowboy's fan and gain the respect of the fans here by turning my back on the Eagles...

Well guess what? I already am one of us! Not because of any of those reasons mentioned, but because I've been here since November 2004, followed all of the MB rules (ok, I may have pushed the envelope a few times:eek:: ), taken flames from the best on the board, and I'm still here offering my team's perspective.

BTW, I'm a Senior Member on the Cowboys Zone ...and a dedicated Eagles fan! I believe that some here recognize the dedication associated with the concept of a fandom.

Interesting perspective. What do you think that says? Does it say that you are a great poster because you have been here since November of last year and have been denote as a senior member or does it say that we are a great board as we have allowed a Philly fan to come in and post as he/she would like without prevention of same?

Perhaps its a bit of both, wouldn't you say?

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Get some ...

Get some......that's exactly what were going to do on October 9th at Texas stadium when the match ups count. There won't be much dancing this day.

:iggles:

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Phoenix-Talon said:
we are a great board as we have allowed a Philly fan to come in and post as he/she would like without prevention of same?
This is a great board.

Here's my take on his question.

On offense, the Cowboys need to score early and/or come to an early lead. If they can atleast keep the game close through the first half, then they will be able to stick to the running game which works in their favor. They will also have to compliment the running game with effective passing to keep the defense honest. Philly can/will shut down the best running games if they know the run is coming.

Dallas needs to exploit the weak KR coverage unit of the Eagles. I'm hoping our unit is improved this year, with all the ST rookies we drafted, but it remains to be seen. In the first game last year, Lee returned one for 39 yards and one for 62 yards.

The cowboys offense has to play mistake free, no penalties.

On defense, you have to get pressure on McNabb (obviously). The way our offense beats the blitz is by picking it up, and then finding the mismatch and exploiting it. If the blitz isn't picked up, then McNabb either escapes the rush or dumps it off to Westbrook. You have to have someone that can cover Westbrook effectively, the Commanders used Sean Taylor. The key to tackling McNabb is to wrap him up and keep your legs underneath you, McNabb will break lunge tackles and arm tackles.

I partly disagree with the common opinion that the Eagles struggle against the 3-4. The truth is that the Eagles offense struggles against good defenses, such as the Commanders and the Panthers (early last year). They did not struggle against the Falcons, Texans, and Jets when those team ran 3-4 defenses. The one problem we have with this defense is that Fraley doesn't match up well with nose tackles.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Phoenix-Talon said:
Interesting perspective. What do you think that says?

It says ...Im already am one of us! Whatever that is ...include me. Either accept me, (as some seem to have done) or reject me ...but either way, I am one of us!

Listen, I've been here long enough to know that even some of the most respected senior members here, don't agree with everything, ever Cowboy member says about everything -- ok? That said, if you're looking for another perspective you can look at me as another member with a different point of view. But watch out ...because sometimes, I might just agree with you!:rolleyes:

Some things you can count on from me ...

I wouldn't be a member here if I didn't like how one ...maybe two of the posters on this mb write :rolleyes: -- maybe 4! Since November 2004, I've learned more than I'll admit about football ...try me!

Also, I'm an Eagles fan, not a Johnny-come-lately Eagles fan (every fandom has their "wild ones"), but the "real-McCoy! If you don't believe me, ask him ...

WAS_PHI_0457_DH.jpg

Galian Beast

Reaction score
being better rested allows you to play at a higher level. Playing at a higher level is better than playing at a lower level. So if you are playing at a higher level than a lower level... you are better.

Bizwah

Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
ABQCOWBOY said:
This is a great board.

On offense, the Cowboys need to score early and/or come to an early lead. If they can atleast keep the game close through the first half, then they will be able to stick to the running game which works in their favor. They will also have to compliment the running game with effective passing to keep the defense honest. Philly can/will shut down the best running games if they know the run is coming.

Dallas needs to exploit the weak KR coverage unit of the Eagles. I'm hoping our unit is improved this year, with all the ST rookies we drafted, but it remains to be seen. In the first game last year, Lee returned one for 39 yards and one for 62 yards.

On defense, you have to get pressure on McNabb (obviously). The way our offense beats the blitz is by picking it up, and then finding the mismatch and exploiting it. If the blitz isn't picked up, then McNabb either escapes the rush or dumps it off to Westbrook. You have to have someone that can cover Westbrook effectively, the Commanders used Sean Taylor. The key to tackling McNabb is to wrap him up and keep your legs underneath you, McNabb will break lunge tackles and arm tackles.

I partly disagree with the common opinion that the Eagles struggle against the 3-4. The truth is that the Eagles offense struggles against good defenses, such as the Commanders and the Panthers (early last year). They did not struggle against the Falcons, Texans, and Jets when those team ran 3-4 defenses. The one problem we have with this defense is that Fraley doesn't match up well with nose tackles.

This is a very fair assessment......although, most defenses can stop the run if they know it's coming.

I agree the running game is very important. I don't think the Eagles can play the run straight up very well. The times I've watched the Eagles play, they ran a lot of stunts and blitzes and this helped them stop the run. So, I think we have to make you all respect our passing game. We have to burn you a few times to keep you honest. After that, then I think we can run the ball on you all.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
ABQCOWBOY said:
This is a great board.

It's always a pleasure hearing your perspective Tobias.

Thanks.

dwmyers

Reaction score
I'm definitely a Johnny-come-lately in this thread but a couple points.

1) Andy Reid players work well within his system but I'm not sure some of them would be as successful elsewhere. This is particularly true at running back. What Reid wants from his running backs is a kind of hybrid; more receiver than runner. If he ever ended up with the reincarnation of Marshall Faulk I think he'd die and go to heaven.

2) Much the same can be said for the defense (and has been by others in this thread). They are undersized by conventional standards and make up for that with hustle, aggressiveness and team speed. It reminds me a lot of the undersized SWC defenses of the 1960s.

Reid doesn't run, he throws a short pass as the basis for his offense. He gets bailed out often by McNabb's legs in sticky situations, which speaks to the strength of the Eagles: their athleticism and their team speed.

Until Dallas has the kind of linebackers that can keep up with Iggles running backs and shadow McNabb like a glove, we'll have problems with their offense. The defense of the Eagles, it should always be formidible, in the near term. I haven't seen anyone consistently beat it. I do think that it may take more athletic linemen to handle the stunts and unexpected pressure, and a lot of work on a check-off offense.

The short answer is, we need to match the talent and team speed of the Eagles to beat them. This is especially true at linebacker and defensive back, as they are a superb short passing team.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
dwmyers said:
I'm definitely a Johnny-come-lately in this thread but a couple points.

1) Andy Reid players work well within his system but I'm not sure some of them would be as successful elsewhere. This is particularly true at running back. What Reid wants from his running backs is a kind of hybrid; more receiver than runner. If he ever ended up with the reincarnation of Marshall Faulk I think he'd die and go to heaven.

2) Much the same can be said for the defense (and has been by others in this thread). They are undersized by conventional standards and make up for that with hustle, aggressiveness and team speed. It reminds me a lot of the undersized SWC defenses of the 1960s.

Reid doesn't run, he throws a short pass as the basis for his offense. He gets bailed out often by McNabb's legs in sticky situations, which speaks to the strength of the Eagles: their athleticism and their team speed.

Until Dallas has the kind of linebackers that can keep up with Iggles running backs and shadow McNabb like a glove, we'll have problems with their offense. The defense of the Eagles, it should always be formidible, in the near term. I haven't seen anyone consistently beat it. I do think that it may take more athletic linemen to handle the stunts and unexpected pressure, and a lot of work on a check-off offense.

The short answer is, we need to match the talent and team speed of the Eagles to beat them. This is especially true at linebacker and defensive back, as they are a superb short passing team.

That was a very interesting read. Thanks.