What's the deal with Garrett?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Something seems off with Garrett.

It's obvious he got tired of the clapping criticism because he's not doing that anymore.

In fact, he's not doing anything. He looks stone-faced with no expression whatsoever. Almost like he's depressed or just got some really bad news or something.

He wakes up to complain about a call now and again, but then it's back to his blank stare.

Is he worried about his job? Does he know something we don't? Is he just dying to clap and he's trying to control it? Too many late nights with Fortnite?

I prefer the former Jason. He looked awake.
He has learned that even with the protection of Daddy (Jerry Jones), he can be heavily criticized and job put in serious jeopardy.

He also got stern criticism from Jimmy Johnson for going to a baseball game on a bye week with a losing team. Johnson: "Well, I know the World Series, it's huge. But perception: I think it sends the wrong message, not only to the fans, but to the players. At 3-4, there's work to be done." That's all Johnson said. But he made his point crystal clear: NFL coaches with losing records shouldn't have fun. Or at least don't get caught doing so on national television.

The Cowboys then lost to the Titans. That's when the attitude the change came. Because Jimmy had warned him from the beginning regarding being a Head Coach. 2 weeks before the bye week, Johnson basically stated that Garrett would be the Cowboys Coach for a long time because of his relationship with Jerry Jones. But not even Jerry Jones could save Garrett with losing record or not making the playoffs. The Head Coaching job is work and not Jerry's social country club. He had members of the Country Club at Head Coach before and fired them (see Switzer and Campo). After that mess up of going to the World Series with a 3-4 team, he knew the criticism was reality.

All coaches go through this phase and they become solemn. Remember Landry during 1986-88, Jimmy Johnson 1989 after the opening game killing by New Orleans and the Arizona loss when Aikman got concussed, Bill Parcells 2004, and Son of a Bum 2010.

When the Cowboys were losing to the Titans 28-14 after his very wrong message during the bye week, Its Garrett's turn to look at his head coaching mortality .

jrumann59

Reaction score
Maybe they found out he has a Tourette Syndrome that causes uncontrollable clapping and they just found out and he is medicated...

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Garrett can come out dressed as a clown , with big 'ole shoes for all i care .

RESULTS in the offseason is all i care for .

Not being the winningest coach in the NFCE the last '8 weeks' ... I do't care ...

9 years , 3 playoff births , thats what i care about .

Verdict

Reaction score
Jerry is blood thirsty, we better win Saturday

Jerry's been drinking slaughterhouse blood since week 8. It's making him young again. But I did see Jerry ogleing a young woman's neck, maybe the blood thirst had something to do with it.

Jerry has an insatiable thirst for blood and a brand new 360 foot yacht. Coincidence? I think not!

Verdict

Reaction score
Garret is getting a 3 year extension as soon as this season is over. He's contemplating exactly how many millions he's going to demand for his raise!
It's prudent planning.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
As soon as Jerry said Garrett was a genius, but he needed to prove himself with post season results ; that sunny carrot top face turned sour .

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If the Cowboys go the Championship game, I will stand on the sideline and clap for him.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Jerry saw a realcoach up close and Jason realized he was on thin ice. I knew Richard coming here would change things. Nobody believed it though because (he’s a dB coach).

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
giphy-downsized.gif

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
I've posted it here before. I believe per Garrett's own choice, this is his last season. He is burned out. It happens to any and all coaches eventually. Coaching in the NFL is unbelievably demanding. It's a life calling, 24/7. Some coaches like a Parcels, can do it for decades, some less then a decade, or even just a few years.

Also, his dad died this year, he's had extreme highs and low this season and I feel like the pressure has gotten to him. Also, another sign, is this team is playing for him. Like maybe they know.

Verdict

Reaction score
I've posted it here before. I believe per Garrett's own choice, this is his last season. He is burned out. It happens to any and all coaches eventually. Coaching in the NFL is unbelievably demanding. It's a life calling, 24/7. Some coaches like a Parcels, can do it for decades, some less then a decade, or even just a few years.

Also, his dad died this year, he's had extreme highs and low this season and I feel like the pressure has gotten to him. Also, another sign, is this team is playing for him. Like maybe they know.

I doubt he retires, but would love to see Romo in the drivers seat.

kskboys

Reaction score

It's obvious he got tired of the clapping criticism because he's not doing that anymore.

In fact, he's not doing anything. He looks stone-faced with no expression whatsoever. Almost like he's depressed or just got some really bad news or something.

He wakes up to complain about a call now and again, but then it's back to his blank stare.

Is he worried about his job? Does he know something we don't? Is he just dying to clap and he's trying to control it? Too many late nights with Fortnite?

Jason had a ton of his ideas about coaching completely dispelled. My guess is that at present he is very serious because he almost lost his job, and it was saved by running the ball. IMO, he's seriously going over what he thought he knew and trying to grasp exactly what saved his job.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
He's always been sort of a stoic figure, he's just not clapping as much.
Either that or the camera isn't really showing him when he does it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He seems different in press conferences. It seems like he says more of what he thinks than the generic politically correct stuff.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Two major events happened this year for Garrett, he lost his dad and his team was literally on life support after a home blowout loss to the Titans on MNF and for the very first time very important people started to point the finger at him. Jimmy Johnson crucified him in the media for going to the World Series during the bye week, Troy Aikman said the entire organization was dysfunctional and needed to be reworked from the ground up including the coaching staff, and finally Jerry, for the first time, said that Garrett was brilliant but he needed to prove himself, especially in the playoffs.

If you remember, this stoic, very intense, all seriousness Garrett appeared on the sideline week 10 at Philly. The team was 3-5 and a loss would effectively end the season, and possibly Garrett's tenure as head coach. The Eagle fans even brought a coffin with the Cowboy colors and logo all over it to symbolize the death of the season for the Boyz.

Garrett's entire demeanor, attitude, and personality have been changed...…...Cowboys have won 8 out of 9 games.

DenCWBY

Reaction score

I often wonder the same thing. During the game, When the cameras are on him, he looks totally blank. I’m guess he’s intently listening to what’s being called or said on the headset but you would think he would have to be also giving input during those conversations. Unless he’s a ventriloquist, I never see him talking on the headset. Perhaps the cameras are not on him at the right times so he just looks bored.

Last edited: