What's the deal with Tyrone Crawford

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I would much rather give all of 3Tech snaps to Gerald McCoy and Neville Galimore and all of his Right End snaps to Aldon Smith, Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong, Bradlee Anae, Jalen Jelks, @xwalker, Jerry Jones, etc.

He has zero business playing RDE for a serious football team.

This is all ego by the Jones Boys and fans here wanting to validate their world view that Jerry and Stephen are competent football evaluators.

With his salary, age, and injury history, 31 other NFL teams are cutting him or asking him to take a pay cut.

Kaiser

Reaction score
For those of you that think he should be cut, just so Jerry can have 9 million extra dollars, so maybe he can buy a helipad for his yacht - Jerry is not that guy,

Its also not how Jerry has ever looked at player salaries. His entire time as owner he paid as much as he can (often too much like Crawford's current contract) and increased revenue to the team. Team revenue and player salaries were never tied to each other, ever.

In 2018 the team revenue was 950 Million dollars while the Salary Cap was 188 Million. Jerry has never been short of money as the Dallas owner, which is why he has the Yacht now.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't know why there is so much hate for Crawford. Yes, he is overpaid but he has played a lot of snaps and has a lot of starts at both DE and DT.

The "deal" is that they've never really found replacements for him.

The 2019 run defense struggled without him playing as the base (run downs) RDE.

In 2018 once DT Collins was healthy enough to play his normal percent of snaps, Crawford moved back to being the base (run downs) RDE with Gregory as the pass rushing RDE.

The Crawford/Gregory combo was solid.

While he is somewhat overpaid, the Cowboys have in some ways limited his career by constantly moving him back and forth between DT and DE.

For several years he would train all off-season for one position and then end up playing the other position for most of the season.
- He wanted to keep his weight down to play DE.
- He wanted to bulk up to play DT.
- Players can't make that adjustment during the season. It's not like regular people just losing weight that is just fat.

I'm in favor of upgrading but teams don't get much these days for the equivalent of a 1 year, 8M contract which is what his contract should be considered with regards to 2020.

-Fair point about team never settling on one position.
-As I have said, Crawford is a solid player, but in my opinion overpaid. His contract originally signed was for him to play that important 3t role in Marinelli's defense. He was used more as a run stuffing base, DE.

They have many possibilities at RDE this year, but no obvious player to start other than Crawford.
  • Aldon Smith is a bonus is he can come back after 4 years out.
  • Gregory remains suspended.
  • Anae is a rookie 5th round pick.
  • Armstrong is the primary young player with any significant experience.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would much rather give all of 3Tech snaps to Gerald McCoy and Neville Galimore and all of his Right End snaps to Aldon Smith, Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong, Bradlee Anae, Jalen Jelks, @xwalker, Jerry Jones, etc.

This is all ego by the Jones Boys and fans here wanting to validate their world view that Jerry and Stephen are competent football evaluators.

With his salary, age, and injury history, 31 other NFL teams are cutting him or asking him to take a pay cut.

:hammer:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
They have many possibilities at RDE this year, but no obvious player to start other than Crawford.
  • Aldon Smith is a bonus is he can come back after 4 years out.
  • Gregory remains suspended.
  • Anae is a rookie 5th round pick.
  • Armstrong is the primary young player with any significant experience.

Crawford to start? He wasn't even healthy enough to practice last year. Played in about two games and collected $10M to sit on IR. He just had double hip surgery. This is the guy you think can start? Put a fork in him, he is done. Even Goodell didn't even bother with a suspension last year for Crawford. That is how you know the team is better off without him. Had he been good, Goodell would have hit him with a suspension.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like many, I just don't get the deal with Tyrone Crawford:

-We thought that Marinelli loved Crawford, but it appears the front office is very high on the player.

-Coming off of double hip surgery, team could of release him for big savings or ask him to take a pay cut. Neither happened.

-He offers very little as a pass rusher, more of a run stuffing base DE. Some of his positives, has position flex and is considered one of the leaders in the locker room.

-It appears he is the leading candidate to start at Defensive End.

-Perhaps they like his positional flex implementing a defense that will have multiple fronts.

Crawford said maybe in January that he's willing to take a pay cut.

Since he's coming off injuries, they probably want to see him on the field before they even make a new offer. If healthy, DE on run downs, DT on pass downs.

Besides McCoy, we don't have a lot of pass rush at DT. Crawford can give us some. They probably cut his contract in half.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Crawford said maybe in January that he's willing to take a pay cut.

Since he's coming off injuries, they probably want to see him on the field before they even make a new offer. If healthy, DE on run downs, DT on pass downs.

Besides McCoy, we don't have a lot of pass rush at DT. Crawford can give us some. They probably cut his contract in half.

If they were going to cut his contract, it would of already occurred. I really think they don't want to make waves cause he has the same agent as Dak Prescott and would affect their contract discussions with him. Sean Lee was forced to take a cut two years ago, but yet Crawford still gets full salary, something isn't right.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they were going to cut his contract, it would of already occurred. I really think they don't want to make waves cause he has the same agent as Dak Prescott and would affect their contract discussions with him. Sean Lee was forced to take a cut two years ago, but yet Crawford still gets full salary, something isn't right.

That last part is undeniable.

"Something isn't right."

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I'm one of the people that thought a pay cut was coming. Especially with Crawford himself saying he was open to a pay cut I thought it would happen but it seems like he will make his full salary. Just have to hope he lives up to the contract now.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
It’s not our money lol why do people care? Obviously if the front office wants to make a move for someone else he is going to be one of the easiest contracts to dispose of. No matter how much we want Griffin or Clowney, the FO seems to have little or no interest.

It seems pretty clear that the heavy lifting of this offseason’s personnel acquisition is done. The team didn’t need to cut TCraw’s contract down so they didn’t. If they genuinely like him as a guy, why would they ask him to take a pay cut without needing the space? Just to see more cap room on Spotrac?

I’m not saying dudes a beast or anything but if they didn’t need the cap room then they weren’t going to ask him to take less. Why it bugs us makes no sense, we act as if we are actively pursuing multiple players and are coming up short with the funds needed to sign them. Paying Dak increases our cap room, so he doesn’t count.

That isn't a good reason. Any cap not spent rolls over to the following year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm one of the people that thought a pay cut was coming. Especially with Crawford himself saying he was open to a pay cut I thought it would happen but it seems like he will make his full salary. Just have to hope he lives up to the contract now.

I'm still holding out hope that it's all dependent on things getting back to normal and the team giving him a physical. Once he passes it, they can act regarding his contract.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I disagree. If they renegotiate the deal his side is going to ask for guaranteed money and with a new staff they probably don't know for sure what they have at DL. Makes sense that they don't touch his contract until they know for sure if they want him back.

kskboys

Reaction score

More of a being forced to play him at RDE due to extremely poor personnel mgmt.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford to start? He wasn't even healthy enough to practice last year. Played in about two games and collected $10M to sit on IR. He just had double hip surgery. This is the guy you think can start? Put a fork in him, he is done. Even Goodell didn't even bother with a suspension last year for Crawford. That is how you know the team is better off without him. Had he been good, Goodell would have hit him with a suspension.

I didn't say I hope that he starts.

He is the only player with starting experience that has not been out of football for 4 years...

His hip issues were likely a problem long before they became too much to play through. He could be healthier than he was in 2018.

In 2018 once DT Collins was healthy, Crawford moved back to RDE in base (run downs).
- Gregory played RDE as the designated pass rusher.
- That combo was very good.

They missed Crawford's run defense in 2019.

It would be great if they could find 3 DEs in addition to DLaw that are better than Crawford but it has yet to happen.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I disagree. If they renegotiate the deal his side is going to ask for guaranteed money and with a new staff they probably don't know for sure what they have at DL. Makes sense that they don't touch his contract until they know for sure if they want him back.

You would think after fa and the draft, they would of made that decision already.