What's the minimum you'd take for Romo?

ghst187

Reaction score
saw a recent article on BSPN (I know consider the source right) that claimed to quote some NFL exec saying that Romo should only fetch a mid round pick in an offseason trade because he's old and broken. This made me think that I'd prefer to keep him if that's the case since a good backup is hard to find. He'd have to take a large pay cut which he may not agree to but a single midround pick just seems way too low to me.
I accept that we may not get a first round pick out of him but I think the minimum I'd take is a second plus at least a fourth but I really want a 2+3rd minimum.
What say you?

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Keep Sanchez and get at least a Second rounder. A good corner and LB may be of value.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I just would like the salary off the books. but to answer the question, I'd be happy with a 6th rounder in 2017 and a conditional 2018 (perhaps 2nd or 3rd rounder if Romo is still on the roster of that team. I'd even do a 1st if that same team makes the playoffs and the conference championship.) we need to be creative. Keep in mind, he was an UDFA that played pretty good for us, so it will be good to get anything at this stage of his career.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
saw a recent article on BSPN (I know consider the source right) that claimed to quote some NFL exec saying that Romo should only fetch a mid round pick in an offseason trade because he's old and broken. This made me think that I'd prefer to keep him if that's the case since a good backup is hard to find. He'd have to take a large pay cut which he may not agree to but a single midround pick just seems way too low to me.
I accept that we may not get a first round pick out of him but I think the minimum I'd take is a second plus at least a fourth but I really want a 2+3rd minimum.
What say you?
I would hold on to him until someone offers a 1st. I might take a second if it is offered before the next draft. You know someone will get hurt in the preseason.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The most likely scenario is that Romo is just released and he is then free to pick whatever team he wants to play for, teams usually do that out of respect for what the player has done for the team. Kinda like we did with Ware, just release him and let him pick his own team and not force Romo to play for somebody he doesn't want to play for just because they offered the highest pick.

At this point, I think it is pretty obvious that Romo is not going to be on the team next year. He makes way too much for a backup and he doesn't look very happy standing on the sidelines. If he cant start for somebody, I would bet he just retires at that point since being a backup QB is probably not that high on his list right now.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
What say you?
I don't believe we will have an abundance of leverage in this transaction. We should consider ourselves lucky if we can land a 3rd rounder. Realistically, I see a 4th rounder headed our way.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
If we get less than a first we should fire the GM.

I think we all want a 1st. BUT there are a lot of factors in play. Romo's cap # and the fact he absolutely wants to start means he 100% won't be back in Dallas. Jerry will make sure Romo gets to start next season. NFL GMs know this. If there is no team dead set on acquiring Romo, GMs will choose to wait out Dallas releasing Romo. Chances are there will be 2-3 teams interested...the level of that interest will determine compensation to the Cowboys. My guess is a 3rd rounder, maybe a 2nd if we're lucky.

DakotaReign

JaBoy
Reaction score
I think we all want a 1st. BUT there are a lot of factors in play. Romo's cap # and the fact he absolutely wants to start means he 100% won't be back in Dallas. Jerry will make sure Romo gets to start next season. NFL GMs know this. If there is no team dead set on acquiring Romo, GMs will choose to wait out Dallas releasing Romo. Chances are there will be 2-3 teams interested...the level of that interest will determine compensation to the Cowboys. My guess is a 3rd rounder, maybe a 2nd if we're lucky.

If we can get the bears jets and broncos to bite on a bidding war we should get the first.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
If we can get the bears jets and broncos to bite on a bidding war we should get the first.

Makes no sense for Chicago or NYJ to give up that much for a 2 year solution when they clearly aren't a good QB away from contending. So I believe these types will have lukewarm interest. What Dallas really needs is for Denver(Elway) to fall in love with the idea of Romo at QB for 2+ seasons to lead that stacked team back to the SB.

esloan

Reaction score
I love Romo and I certainly think he could QB the Broncos to the Super Bowl but the NFL just doesn't really work that way as far as trades go. I think we would be lucky to get a 3rd and a 4th would be more likely. Consider that Favre went to the Jets for a conditional 4th when he was older.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no idea nor feel for this at all. Nor do I concern my self with it at this point. Will wait until the off season. Then it will be click bait feast for everyone with an internet connection.
:popcorn:
Interesting to read all the opinions though.
Oh, I could say, why not save this for the off season...but we all know that won't happen.....j/k....:laugh:........it will be on going, and that is ok.

Eddie

Reaction score
The most important thing is to get his contract off the books. I would be happy with a mid round pick considering the cap space it would free up

That's what I said too. We're not getting a major pick. But we need the cap savings.

Either way, we're going to eat some serious dead money.