CZ POLL When did you become a Cowboys fan?

When did you become a Cowboys fan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I was born in 70…so whenever kids start remembering games. I remember a lot of highlights of 75-76 through those years. 1977 was definitely full memory.

Funny thing is my Mom was from Baltimore..I was born there..moved to Ft Worth in 71. My Dad from upstate NY. I’m the youngest of 5 so most siblings snd parents were Colts fans. They even cheered against Cowboys in 70. I was only one who was all Cowboys from the start. My Mom claimed Landry was boring so she css as me on board later.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
1981 I remember watching a preseason game with the Cowboys vs Steelers. Danny White, Tony Dorsett and Tom Laundry. Fell in love with the sport.

cowboyec

Reaction score
:flagwave:MARCH 16,1973:flagwave:
came outta the womb in a blue and silver jumpsuit,man.
blarin' Elvis....yellin GO☆COWBOYS!

Manster68

Reaction score
Been to Warwick many times, back when I delivered furniture. Been a while now. Basically a suburb of Providence.

I'm in CT, right off route 6, in Andover.
Route 6 in CT used to be known as Suicide 6 for its horrific car accidents. In the late 80s/early 90s, it was considered the most dangerous road in America.

Manster68

Reaction score
For me, it was 1970.
Born in 1964, my father taught me at the turn of that decade about the baseball All Star game. So I believed that anything with a star on it had to be the best.
So I'm watching the 1970 NFC Championship game in San Francisco. Lo and behold, I saw this team wearing these helmets with big blue stars on them.
I was hooked ever since - especially when a year later the QB would eventually be nicknamed Captain America.

9of11

Reaction score
Born and raised a Cowboys fan ( I was raised right!)....it also helps to be born in Texas, Uvalde that is...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it’s cool how we still have fans on this board that saw Don Meredith, Don Perkins, and the 60’s legends play. I laugh at these threads wanting to publicly drop their loyalty because of a few bad seasons. We have fans who have been showing up for 50+ years.
I haven’t missed watching a Cowboys game since at least 1965. Probably been longer than that but can’t recall before that.

I’ve gone to quite some extremes to never miss watching one . Including living about 2 years( 2 football seasons) in San Diego attending school chasing a girl I met on vacation either flying home to watch, driving to Vegas or a friend of a friend who had a big satellite dish.

While I loved Southern Calif I decided it was too much stress and expense to continue living there not missing a game . And fortunately the girl after a few months followed me back to Texas.

Even while living in Texas only about 15 minutes from Texas Stadium we often had to drive to Waco to watch home blackout games . Which all home games before 1973 were blackout within 75 mile radius. Which we attended many games at Cotton Bowl then in 1971 dad purchased season tickets at Texas Stadium . And then I did as well later in 1980’s after he died .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys were my co-favorites along with the Cards because I was raised in Little Rock and those were the regional teams.

Then the Ice Bowl happened and the Cowboys became my team. A loss cemented them in my heart because of the heart they displayed that day.

Years later I would have a working acquaintance that was raised in Green Bay and was at that game with his father. He told me that while the fans were happy to have won, the talk of the town was this Southern team that defied the odds and stood toe to toe with a team designed to play in those conditions. None of those fans referred to the Dallas Cowboys as a “finesse” team after that game. A term that Tom Landry despised.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Colts SB loss was first Cowboy game I remember........ loved the blue uniforms and of course the star on the helmet............. just remember my Dad cussing up a storm because of all the turnovers.

I became enamored with Staubach the next year.....and I cried like a baby in 72 when we lost to the Football Team in the NFC Championship game..........I knew then I would be a fan for life.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Grew up in D.C. as a Reds**** fan. Hated Roger Staubach and the Cowboys.
Loved Tony Dorsett in college.
Cowboys drafted Dorsett.
Became a Cowboys fan.
Never looked back.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting poll....Just goes to show Jerry has killed the fan base...there is no younger fans.

Maybe they have not voted yet....or more likely they have not found their way to the CZ. :D
You know there is a video game crowd that does not go to forums outside of video forums. :laugh:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I started watching in 1962 (8 years old) and was hooked. When they lost a game, it would bother me for days. I still dream of an undefeated season!

MS17

Reaction score
The NFL's 3rd greatest game ever was the 1967 Ice Bowl at Green Bay. (the 1st and 2nd rated games couldn't possibly be better) a broken turf heating system, the frozen field, -37 d. chill factor at gametime and horrendous conditions. I think older guys like myself will say it was a privilege to watch it, (in black and white) listening to legendary Ray Scott's play by play. Cowboys were outscored, they didnt lose this game.
Have been a Cowboys fan ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.