CZ POLL When did you become a Cowboys fan?

When did you become a Cowboys fan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Since beating the '71 Dolphins. Watching my extended family watch that game together was a great influence on my 5-year-old brain. I've spent every football season since then rooting for the Cowboys.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting for everyone to share when they became a Cowboys fan.
It's what I have long suspected most on this board are loyal old timers.
I being one.
Hard to imagine someone being attracted to this team after the turn of the century as we went from a tradition of excellence to a tradition of mediocraty.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
VanqueroTD - thank you for the acknowledgement to us "Cowboys Elders".

Overall...the franchise has avoided very long periods of subpar/bad teams.
Five years at the beginning__1960-64.
Five years toward the end of the Eighties___1986-90.
Three years at the start of the century___2000-02.

18 losing seasons- 12 with double-digit defeats

6 with a .500 record

38 winning seasons, with 30 being with double-digit wins.
When you see that the majority of the posters here saw the Cowboys when they were a well run, winning org.
You can better understand their/my frustration over the poorly run , nonwinning circus the Cowboys have become.

Bermystar12

Reaction score
Interesting poll....Just goes to show Jerry has killed the fan base...there is no younger fans.
I have a 20 year old. They don't do these kinda forums much, even with things they enjoy because they have similar social media communities. Not to say you are right or wrong about the fan base (I haven't a clue) but using this forum's age demographic as a metric by which to draw the conclusion you have might be slightly misleading.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a 20 year old. They don't do these kinda forums much, even with things they enjoy because they have similar social media communities. Not to say you are right or wrong about the fan base (I haven't a clue) but using this forum's age demographic as a metric by which to draw the conclusion you have might be slightly misleading.

Like the old chat rooms. When the internet exploded that was the thing. I got into some for about a year or so. Sports ones. Spent maybe an hour or so in the evenings after I got everything else done I needed to do. I know some people spent all their free time in them, or as soon as they got home, they went right to the chat rooms.

They ran their course, and I am not even sure if they are a thing now. I have not been in one since 1999.
I guess there are so many other options now, the younger persons have all of that to use. Like you mentioned, social media.

Also many fans are into fantasy football, they really don't follow teams like they used to, or they jump from team to team because of it. That is just a guess, but I think a pretty good guess.
They eventually settle on one team more so than others.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Danny White was our QB and he had some great seasons, but it all came crashing down in the late 80's - early 90's. Rock bottom. Some fans like to talk about how great the Jimmy Johnson era was, but not a lot of fans talk about how bad the franchise was before Jimmy. Some fans like to talk about the current failures, but I can tell you it doesn't get any worse than a one win season. Or 5 losing seasons in a row.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
We traveled to Paris Texas from Dallas to watch the blacked out games My Dad and Grand pop were Cowboys fans My dad played High School football with Forrest Gregg
and your grandmaw helped invent the game with Walter Camp. and they used a real pig, in the first game.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I was pretty much baptized into their fandom. I will be 38 this month so my first memories of them was the season before their 1st Super Bowl win of the 1990s. The season where we lost to Detroit in the divisional round. I remember watching that game at my uncle's apartment. And we got whipped all day. Then the next 4 years was their peak of course. But I was too young to really appreciate what was happening. My dad back then told me not to get used to this as its very rare. But I didn't grasp the history being made as only one other team in the sport history has won 3 in 4 years (but the first at that time). Little did I know that after the Pitt super bowl win, I would only witness 4 single wild card wins over the next nearing 3 decades.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
1965.. when the Cowboys drafted a young wide receiver who also happened to be the Olympic 100 meter champ.. and who also was from Florida.. which is where my family moved (from Mississippi) that year.

GMO415

Reaction score
I have great respect for anyone who became a fan after 99. Kudos to you for loyalty.
I call that troubling. They are the reason why Jerry doesn't care about the product he puts on the field because these "good enough" fans don't hold him accountable to win a Championship.

rambo2

Reaction score
My grandmother took me to the Cotton Bowl for the 1966 Thanksgiving game against the Browns. We wanted to see Jim Brown, but he retired to make The Dirty Dozen.

rambo2

Reaction score
1965.. when the Cowboys drafted a young wide receiver who also happened to be the Olympic 100 meter champ.. and who also was from Florida.. which is where my family moved (from Mississippi) that year.
Bob Hayes was my favorite player. When I see the number 22 I think of Bob Hayes.

Status
Not open for further replies.