When did you know the Cowboys brass were serious about contending?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Inserting Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator is a high caliber gamble for which Jerry Jones is famous for.

And it about one tenth of the gamble that the Rams took hiring McVey as Head Coach.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I tend to fall in line with this view in a way.

I think they have always wanted to win. I just think their collective ego and inflated opinion of the Jones family as "football people" makes it tough on them to win. I also think there is a bit of "well I will show them" that comes from Jerry and Stephen. In other words, they are so arrogant about how smart they are, that they dig in further when they face criticism just to prove they are right and smarter than everyone else.
IMO Stephen is the only reason we are not doing the same silly things we were doing when Jerry had total control. Every since he has taken the lead everything seems to have gotten better.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For me, it was when we drafted Rico Gathers, who had about as much experience as a player that Moore has had as a coach. The long-term vision for him is coming to fruition this year.

cern

Reaction score
a few years ago when it was becoming evident Stephen was now being able to do his job and procure the personnel and make the contract negotiations. about the time we let d. ware walk due to excessive salary cap hit.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
For me it was the promotion of Kellen Moore to being the offensive coordinator. A win-win for both Moore and the Cowboys. Of course, those of us in the know have known that Moore can walk on water without getting wet, but he's the guy who doesn't have to look in the mirror to know he's good enough. Where's the proof you ask? I say give me the guy who says, "you know....I could bust my *** off as a player and win championships or I could simply work smarter and train a QB to do all of that physical labor for me. Why run the plays in the huddle when I can sit behind a console in the booth and draw up one genius play after another without taking a hit."

Brilliance. Smart geniuses working behind the scenes to get hard working athletes to do their bidding. That's what wins championships.

When they traded Hershel walker

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it about one tenth of the gamble that the Rams took hiring McVey as Head Coach.
I am not certain how well the gamble percentages can be broken down. On one hand, Sean McVay's pre-Offensive coordinator experience:

• Assistant wide receivers coach (Tampa Bay Buccaneers/2008)
  • Quality control/Wide receivers coach (UFL Florida Tuskers/2009)
  • Assistant tight ends coach/Tight ends coach (Washington/2010-2013)

On the other hand, Kellen Moore's pre-Offensive coordinator experience:
  • Quarterback coach (2018)
McVay added three additional years as an offensive coordinator for Washington before taking the Rams head coaching position. I do not know, Kaiser. The difference in respective experience between McVay and Moore is QUITE measurable even if the part involving McVay's offensive coordinator's resume was excised from the mutual comparison.

Moore is intelligent. Jones and Garrett are leveraging Moore's knowledge of the game versus his lack of actual coaching experience. I am hoping Jones has not bet a case of Johnnie Walker Blue Label on the nag running in the fifth race.

Sydla

Reaction score
IMO Stephen is the only reason we are not doing the same silly things we were doing when Jerry had total control. Every since he has taken the lead everything seems to have gotten better.

I am not sure I agree with that. In certain areas, sure. In others, it's still the same old.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not certain how well the gamble percentages can be broken down. On one hand, Sean McVay's pre-Offensive coordinator experience:

• Assistant wide receivers coach (Tampa Bay Buccaneers/2008)
  • Quality control/Wide receivers coach (UFL Florida Tuskers/2009)
  • Assistant tight ends coach/Tight ends coach (Washington/2010-2013)

On the other hand, Kellen Moore's pre-Offensive coordinator experience:
  • Quarterback coach (2018)
McVay added three additional years as an offensive coordinator for Washington before taking the Rams head coaching position. I do not know, Kaiser. The difference in respective experience between McVay and Moore is QUITE measurable even if the part involving McVay's offensive coordinator's resume was excised from the mutual comparison.

Moore is intelligent. Jones and Garrett are leveraging Moore's knowledge of the game versus the lack of actual coaching experience. I am hoping Jones has not bet a case of Johnnie Walker Blue Label on the nag running in the fifth race.

Another angle............... it would be one thing if Moore was hired as OC under an experience, successful, high quality coach. Sure, there is still risk in hiring a one year coach as OC but with a solid HC in place, some of that risk is mitigated.

Hiring Moore to essentially salvage Garrett's career at this point is way more risky.

Brax

Reaction score
When they hired a real GM. Oh wait.
bingo, somehow people believe Jerry is not calling the shots any more. Jerry has always been serious about winning he just doesn't know how to do it, people believing it isn't so are just too blind to see it. With Jerry GM'ing it, it will not change, but as they say even idiots get lucky sometimes.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'll know they are serious when they hire a real GM, coach, and go hang out spending their billions on new toys.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another angle............... it would be one thing if Moore was hired as OC under an experience, successful, high quality coach. Sure, there is still risk in hiring a one year coach as OC but with a solid HC in place, some of that risk is mitigated.

Hiring Moore to essentially salvage Garrett's career at this point is way more risky.
I believe adverse risk would be minimized more if Moore's initial entry was as assistant offensive coordinator or even co-offensive coordinator. Moore would likely benefit more with greater oversight than even that provided by the best of head coaches--for example, Belicheck.

Kaiser

Reaction score

My bad, you are right. I was thinking McVay had one year of OC experience before getting the HC gig. So I retract the 10X statement, I would change that to something like twice as much. Moore has been with this group as a backup QB and as a coach, plus its pretty clear he was getting some "test drive" time last season.

cern

Reaction score
bingo, somehow people believe Jerry is not calling the shots any more. Jerry has always been serious about winning he just doesn't know how to do it, people believing it isn't so are just too blind to see it. With Jerry GM'ing it, it will not change, but as they say even idiots get lucky sometimes.
but things have changed. substantially so. jerry went for splashes in free agency. Stephen does not. jerry didn't draft well. Stephen drafts very well. jerry was a direct conduit to players who had a gripe about a coach. Stephen is not. jerry said dez would be a cowboy in 2018. stephen showed him the door. jerry said tony would regain his job after his injury healed in 2016, but dak remained. jerry negotiated deals that left us in salary cap hell. Stephen has cleaned up the mess and clearly is the man now making the deals. too blind to see???????????????????????????? lucky idiots????????????????????????? I think not.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
For me it was the promotion of Kellen Moore to being the offensive coordinator. A win-win for both Moore and the Cowboys. Of course, those of us in the know have known that Moore can walk on water without getting wet, but he's the guy who doesn't have to look in the mirror to know he's good enough. Where's the proof you ask? I say give me the guy who says, "you know....I could bust my *** off as a player and win championships or I could simply work smarter and train a QB to do all of that physical labor for me. Why run the plays in the huddle when I can sit behind a console in the booth and draw up one genius play after another without taking a hit."

Brilliance. Smart geniuses working behind the scenes to get hard working athletes to do their bidding. That's what wins championships.

They just got serious about it? What have they been doing the prior two decades? :huh:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

And I would say taking an offensive coordinator job under Garrett is also risky. It didn't do much to enhance Scott Linehan's career.

visionary

Reaction score

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at your innocence

Or stupidity

Last edited: