When did you know the Cowboys brass were serious about contending?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The hiring of Kellen Moore and retaining Jason Garrett is when I knew they were serious...

visionary

Reaction score
I think they have always been serious about winning. However, I also think they went about it the wrong way for a very long time. I give a lot of props to SJ for standing up to JJ and letting him know that in todays FA era your approach has to be different. Building our team mostly through the draft has been a good thing. Now with Kris being brought in and firing Linehan I think we may be on the right track. We will see how Kellen does.

You have fallen for con job number 2 hook line and sinker

SJ is nothing but a cheaper version of his father

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm hoping Kellen Moore works out, but the unfortunate reality is comparing him to McVay is absurd. McVay worked for several years under people like the Grudens and Shanahan.

If I could liken the Moore situation to anybody, it'd be Jason Garrett, who was hoisted up the ladder after one year of being a QB coach.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
For me it was the promotion of Kellen Moore to being the offensive coordinator. A win-win for both Moore and the Cowboys. Of course, those of us in the know have known that Moore can walk on water without getting wet, but he's the guy who doesn't have to look in the mirror to know he's good enough. Where's the proof you ask? I say give me the guy who says, "you know....I could bust my *** off as a player and win championships or I could simply work smarter and train a QB to do all of that physical labor for me. Why run the plays in the huddle when I can sit behind a console in the booth and draw up one genius play after another without taking a hit."

Brilliance. Smart geniuses working behind the scenes to get hard working athletes to do their bidding. That's what wins championships.

I felt they were on the right track when they passed on Manziel.

ShortRound

Reaction score
FiNGkOG.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The 2016 Draft showed me the Cowboys front office was serious about contending. Years prior with the drafting of our Oline in successive years was the foundation. For me, the 2016 draft and the ones after have proven how serious this Cowboys front office truly is about contending.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I know they are VERY serious about making money. and damn good at it.

Contending? well, 3 playoff wins in 22 years tells me it might be an afterthought.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
For me it was the promotion of Kellen Moore to being the offensive coordinator. A win-win for both Moore and the Cowboys. Of course, those of us in the know have known that Moore can walk on water without getting wet, but he's the guy who doesn't have to look in the mirror to know he's good enough. Where's the proof you ask? I say give me the guy who says, "you know....I could bust my *** off as a player and win championships or I could simply work smarter and train a QB to do all of that physical labor for me. Why run the plays in the huddle when I can sit behind a console in the booth and draw up one genius play after another without taking a hit."

Brilliance. Smart geniuses working behind the scenes to get hard working athletes to do their bidding. That's what wins championships.

Got serious when they traded for Cooper last year. I'm not all in on Moore just yet tho

Angus12

Reaction score
For me it was the promotion of Kellen Moore to being the offensive coordinator.
Nothing screams "WE'RE SERIOUS ABOUT CONTENDING!!" like hiring a first time offensive coordinator that only has one (1) ONE year of coaching QBs under his belt.

kumizi

Reaction score
I'll know they're serious when they hire someone outside the family to run football operations.

edit: didn't even read the whole first post. You think hiring an OC with almost no previous coaching experience is what convinces you they're serious about winning? WOT IN TARNATION

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Sounds great but remains to be seen. It's about to come to fruition. Won't take long to see if it works. I hope it does.
I hope so. However, the last coach Jerry Jones made Offensive Coordinator after only 1 year as QB coach did not turn out so well fast tracked by the blessing of Jerry....Jason Garrett.

GMO415

Reaction score
Perhaps when the Jones's realized Jerry had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel...
Cartoon_Empty_Grave_Next_To_a_Tombstone_That_Reads_Rip_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_101029-044420-561053.jpg

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

When they drafted Zeke.

That told me they learned their mistake of letting DeMarco Murray go.

Not having the rushing attack completely took our identity away.

When they drafted Elliott it was re-established in spades.

Then I thought we got a chance.

:flagwave:

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
serious..... are you talking about serious....are you kidding me.......is that you Jim Mora....oh wait that was playoffs....

I was 25 the last time the Cowboys were serious about winning...now I am old, grey haired and still waiting on the Cowboys Brass to be serious......