When did you know the Cowboys brass were serious about contending?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
For me it was the promotion of Kellen Moore to being the offensive coordinator. A win-win for both Moore and the Cowboys. Of course, those of us in the know have known that Moore can walk on water without getting wet, but he's the guy who doesn't have to look in the mirror to know he's good enough. Where's the proof you ask? I say give me the guy who says, "you know....I could bust my *** off as a player and win championships or I could simply work smarter and train a QB to do all of that physical labor for me. Why run the plays in the huddle when I can sit behind a console in the booth and draw up one genius play after another without taking a hit."

Brilliance. Smart geniuses working behind the scenes to get hard working athletes to do their bidding. That's what wins championships.
Give me a break. It happened long ago when Jerry got overruled on Manziel. Then I knew.

Brax

Reaction score
but things have changed. substantially so. jerry went for splashes in free agency. Stephen does not. jerry didn't draft well. Stephen drafts very well. jerry was a direct conduit to players who had a gripe about a coach. Stephen is not. jerry said dez would be a cowboy in 2018. stephen showed him the door. jerry said tony would regain his job after his injury healed in 2016, but dak remained. jerry negotiated deals that left us in salary cap hell. Stephen has cleaned up the mess and clearly is the man now making the deals. too blind to see???????????????????????????? lucky idiots????????????????????????? I think not.
You see a different FO than I do, you buy into SJ is running the show, I do not. Remember TO, remember Aikman? Same deal. 23 years same results, common factor, Jerry, enough said.

Flamma

Reaction score
The off season moves is what tells me they're going for it this year. Most of the pieces are there, now lets see what the coaches can do with them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
slow-down.jpg

Let's see how this all plays out. I'm optimistic. However, we should slow it down a bit.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. We all have her this old saw.

For me the team seems to have tried a new angle with the extra money they had. They have brought in talent on a lend/lease basis. We'll see.

But then they turn the reins of the offense over to a guy with no experience. We bought a racecar (presumption at this point) and the driver will be a guy that is working on his learner's permit.

This may work out. But, as with all things Cowboys, I'll know when I see what arrives on the field.

As a side note, I believe the most significant crime Jerry Jones has perpetrated on the fan base of this team is to spend twenty years building up hope and dashing it on the rocks with incompetence. Now we see the league have a few brilliant young coaches who an inventive, and Jerry has to go out and get him one.

So, does this stamp of approval by JOnes and Jones mean that if and when Garrett is finally proven to be a passenger instead of the driver that Moore will be promoted and Jerry and company will be teaching him how to be a head coach?

Or would you say that Jerry finally figured out he is not the nuts when it comes to recognizing talent on the field, so he moved to the sidelines and is not making a decision which could be even more reflective of how ego driven he is and can convince himself that his mistakes in judgment aren't the cause of it taking so long to get back to the Super Bowl?

I see the Moore hiring as swinging at one in the dirt just to say he hired a young brilliant mind. Several years of listening to headphones and not breaking a sweat in as uniform doesn't make this guy Bill Walsh.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I honestly think they are "tanking" this year, hoping for the best but going with fellow coaches so that way when new coach comes in next year he doesn't have to piss off any high name coaches that were the previous year (this year)

I mean seriously.... Going with Kellen moore and expecting greatness all while not only not hiring new head coach but going as far as telling Moore to not listen to Garrett.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The off season moves is what tells me they're going for it this year. Most of the pieces are there, now lets see what the coaches can do with them.

I honestly think they are "tanking" this year, hoping for the best but going with fellow coaches so that way when new coach comes in next year he doesn't have to piss off any high name coaches that were the previous year (this year).

Are you guys following the same team?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
For me it was the promotion of Kellen Moore to being the offensive coordinator. A win-win for both Moore and the Cowboys. Of course, those of us in the know have known that Moore can walk on water without getting wet, but he's the guy who doesn't have to look in the mirror to know he's good enough. Where's the proof you ask? I say give me the guy who says, "you know....I could bust my *** off as a player and win championships or I could simply work smarter and train a QB to do all of that physical labor for me. Why run the plays in the huddle when I can sit behind a console in the booth and draw up one genius play after another without taking a hit."

Brilliance. Smart geniuses working behind the scenes to get hard working athletes to do their bidding. That's what wins championships.

What we see this year is the hard work of the last 7-8.

I hope people will understand what a politic of dept really means and how long it will take to get your financial freedom back.

Lead by idiots who "chuckle about salary cap space" cost us so many years.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I suspected the Cowboys were serious about contending when they started spending more money on their veteran free agents. That's a somewhat bold transition from what they've committed to in the past. Maybe it actually means something and maybe there's more to be expected before the evidence is really convincing. Let's stay tuned for further surprises. I'd say it's an encouraging start, if nothing else! I'll be waiting patiently for more evidence . . .

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL........promoting a 1 year QB coach makes them serious about contending? Thats almost funny.

The Cowboys have been serious the entire time. They just didnt understand team building and the importance of coaching. They still dont with coaching.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I knew they were serious when:
1) They hired a GM who is accountable
2) They hired a head coach which was innovative and demanded discipline, as well as a motivator, and teacher.
3) They decided that the interior D line was as important as the interior O line and used resources accordingly.
4) When they learned to use outside resources to evaluate their own team instead of allowing personal friendships to cloud judgement

oh wait..........

fansince68

Reaction score
I knew they were serious when:
1) They hired a GM who is accountable
2) They hired a head coach which was innovative and demanded discipline, as well as a motivator, and teacher.
3) They decided that the interior D line was as important as the interior O line and used resources accordingly.
4) When they learned to use outside resources to evaluate their own team instead of allowing personal friendships to cloud judgement

oh wait..........
Yep. I miss Jimmy Johnson too.

morat1959

Reaction score
They’re not and haven’t been for 20+ years. SOS....Jerry’s the GM and The clapper is still the HC. Y’all drink the koolaid EVERY year!

morat1959

Reaction score

Really?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Are you guys following the same team?

What this guy said below is dead on:
LOL........promoting a 1 year QB coach makes them serious about contending? Thats almost funny.

The Cowboys have been serious the entire time. They just didnt understand team building and the importance of coaching. They still dont with coaching.