When does this happen, Jerry?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Perhaps more important than replacing the HC..

Just when do you begin making the transition to letting Stephen be owner and day to day operations man?

You know..the Sox and jocks guy.

Of course nobody can replace you.

But like it or not..

you are getting up there and reminding me of AL Davis more everyday.

Davis was a joke in the last part of his ownership.

You need to make plans for the team and the fans for after you get in the bus and leave for the last time.

After you move Stephen up..

he will need a GM.

Why not hire one and let's see how smooth it can go.

If suddenly you choke on a chicken wing..

where does that leave us?

As fans..we are your legacy.

Not that I want you gone prematurely ..

but enough with the ROH stuff.

There is much more to be done.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just when do you begin making the transition to letting Stephen be owner and day to day operations man?

But like it or not..

You need to make plans for the team and the fans for after you get in the bus and leave for the last time.

he will need a GM.

The transition to Stephen Jones running the football operations for the Cowboys started several years ago and has been finalized for at least 2 years now.

Some of the obvious indicators:
1. They drafted Zack Martin over Johnny Manziel. Jerry clearly wanted to draft Manziel. He said it many times.

2. They didn't trade up from #34 to #26 to draft QB Paxton Lynch. Jerry said many times afterwards that he really wanted to draft Lynch and that he was mad that they didn't draft him.

It appears that the final time that Jerry vetoed Stephen was in July of 2015 when they gave Dez the new mega-contract. Stephen clearly wanted to keep Dez on the Franchise Tag but Dez shouted to the media and the Cowboys that he would hold out that season if Franchised. Jerry panicked and insisted that Stephen get him signed.

It does appear that Jerry "encouraged" Stephen and McClay to draft Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith, but it does not appear that he forced the issue because they've acknowledged that they were going to draft one of the two DEs that ended up getting drafted with the two picks immediately before the Cowboys picked. I think in these two situations, Jerry repeatedly tells McClay and Stephen that if they draft the high risk players Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith, that Jerry will "take the blame" and not hold it against them. That's basically what Jerry has indicated in interviews but you have to interpret "Jerry Speak" anytime Jerry is interviewed.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The transition to Stephen Jones running the football operations for the Cowboys started several years ago and has been finalized for at least 2 years now.

1. They drafted Zack Martin over Johnny Manziel. Jerry clearly wanted to draft Manziel. He said it many times.

2. They didn't trade up from #34 to #26 to draft QB Paxton Lynch. Jerry said many times afterwards that he really wanted to draft Lynch and that he was mad that they didn't draft him.

It appears that the final time that Jerry vetoed Stephen was in July of 2015 when they gave Dez the new mega-contract. Stephen clearly wanted to keep Dez on the Franchise Tag but Dez shouted to the media and the Cowboys that he would hold out that season if Franchised. Jerry panicked and insisted that Stephen get him signed.

It does appear that Jerry "encouraged" Stephen and McClay to draft Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith, but it does not appear that he forced the issue because they've acknowledged that they were going to draft one of the two DEs that ended up getting drafted with the two picks immediately before the Cowboys picked. I think in these two situations, Jerry repeatedly tells McClay and Stephen that if they draft the high risk players Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith, that Jerry will "take the blame" and not hold it against them. That's basically what Jerry has indicated in interviews but you have to interpret "Jerry Speak" anytime Jerry is interviewed.
I think you miss my question.

your replies deal with interpretations you think you see.

I am asking about real changes designed to secure the future of the team.

Short and long term.

And voluntarily as opposed to forced issues because of any illness, etc.

I am certain there are trusts setup in the event something happens with the Jones Holdings.

My point is anything can happen and does.

why not begin it now?

It would seem that ensuring the situation is wise.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't think we will see Jerry hire a true GM in his lifetime. Maybe with Stephen.

Hiring a GM, a true football GM, would mean he has been wrong for 20 plus years. Jerry won't admit that in his lifetime.
Not really about hiring a GM.

Not bringing one in is putting alot of pressure on Stephen and I would believe Jerrah would want to be in on a hire and want to be in on the breakin period as it would be a huge change to the franchise.

waving monkey

Reaction score

This is communist propaganda

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I think you miss my question.

your replies deal with interpretations you think you see.

I am asking about real changes designed to secure the future of the team.

Short and long term.

And voluntarily as opposed to forced issues because of any illness, etc.

I am certain there are trusts setup in the event something happens with the Jones Holdings.

My point is anything can happen and does.

why not begin it now?

It would seem that ensuring the situation is wise.
What exactly do you need to see happen to make you feel better? Stephen is clearly “future Jerry” and has been on the job training for years now. If something happened to Jerry no one would even miss a beat. Jerry is 76 years old and not anywhere near as hard to replace as you think he is.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I don't think we will see Jerry hire a true GM in his lifetime. Maybe with Stephen.

Hiring a GM, a true football GM, would mean he has been wrong for 20 plus years. Jerry won't admit that in his lifetime.
,,er,,,Would You? ,,,were you him?,,,hell no you wouldn't cuz' you'd be way to busy trying to extricate yerself from the confines of the stacked $1,000 dollar bills that man use's for arch support/ insoles ( and prolly emergency cab fare money home when he winds up in BOGOTA COLUMBIA on an off season weekend adventure of faint recollection) from those SHOES you are just now,,, feeling how they FIT YER' FEET,,,o_O

:lmao::starspin::lmao:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What exactly do you need to see happen to make you feel better? Stephen is clearly “future Jerry” and has been on the job training for years now. If something happened to Jerry no one would even miss a beat. Jerry is 76 years old and not anywhere near as hard to replace as you think he is.

I think Jerry still has an effect. I'd like to know who was the driving force behind Cooper. Seems like a Jerry move more than a Stephen move.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
He will never get that smart and realize his way doesn't work.
SHEESEo_O

In the " precap NFL era" THAT OL' BOY DONE WAXED THE LEAGUE'S AZZ'Z 360° sunrise thru sundown ALL THE WAY AROUND:rolleyes:

* that CAT is WHY there is this CAP casing-liner strapped to all 32 teams saddle horn,,,,SHEESEo_O

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is one of the dumbest posts you will ever read on this forum. Complete and total lunacy.

If anyone believes Jerry has to encourage anyone in this organization to make a personnel move they are truly delusional.

One man is in charge of this team and if there's ever a change and a real GM brought in one man will ultimately make that decision. Till the day he dies. The melvins who tell you differently are the same geniuses who used to tell you for years how Jerry was actually a good GM. Can't do that anymore so pretend he's not really the GM.

Stephen is as big of a football moron as Jerry. The Cowboys will be no better off the day he steps in and pretends he's an NFL GM just like his daddy.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

But like it or not..

he will need a GM.

On the bright side, Jerry doesn't wear gaudy eyeglasses.