When should Jason Witten consider retirement?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't think he should retire at the moment, but I do think we should consider getting a faster, more explosive tight end. This team needs speed badly.

Craig

Reaction score
Hes still better than his replacement would be. But it would probably be wise for him to be considering retirement now. I would like to assume if they were to win the super bowl last year, this year, or next year hed have retired immediately. I dont really think that is the case though. Im really worried that hes going to be having a lot of problems by the end of his 40s.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Or when his production drops. Witten may not need to retire, but his role in the offense needs to be decreased.

His role does not need to be decreased. Dez Bryant just has to stay healthy. Witten's role is dependent on having a healthy Dez Bryant. We all saw in 2014 that the passing offense went through Dez with Witten as a safety net. Then in 2015 without Dez nobody else stepped up. Witten was the one consistent threat. Get Dez back and Romo, too and we shall see the passing offense once again go through Dez and Witten will be the safety net.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
He should have quit/ retired two years ago. Here are the problems with Witten:

• He's slow
  • He cannot break tackles
  • He runs routes 1-2 yards short of the first down marker in hopes of getting YAC but hardly ever gets them
  • He's good for 1-2 false starts a game
  • He's a progress stopper for other TE's
And im disturbed that he has neglected his physical fitness. Compare his physique to Vernon Davis. Smh

Now compare Vernon Davis and Jason Wittens careers. Vernon Davis cant even surpass Owen Daniels

ccb04

Reaction score
And im disturbed that he has neglected his physical fitness. Compare his physique to Vernon Davis. Smh

Davis may be rocked up (and possibly roided out)...but at 32 y/o, he's perhaps the one that should consider retirement. Over the past 2 seasons (2014 & 2015), Davis & his fantastic physique has managed 64 receptions for 640 yards & 2 TD's.

Over that same 2 year span, the 33 y/o Witten & his far less than Arnold-like physique, has 141 receptions for 1,416 yards & 8 TD's. He's also started 32 out of a possible 32 regular season games over that span.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
How many big play tight ends are out there? How many consistently make big plays? Not everyone is Gronk. I've seen a lot of tight ends over the years have one really good season and then disappear.

Commanders have a big play TE. Jordan Reed. Now they have a young upstart QB. That's two skill positions they already have on us.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People have been saying he's been declining for four years now. He'll hang em up when his body gives out or someone's good enough to beat him for his spot. He's still a very good player.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Commanders have a big play TE. Jordan Reed. Now they have a young upstart QB. That's two skill positions they already have on us.

Commanders don't have the QB edge on us by any stretch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

If Cousins continues to develop the way he has and Romo continues missing games due to injury the Commanders could have a big edge on us at QB in the next year or two. Cousins is almost 9 years younger than Romo and the arrow is pointing up on him and pointing downward on Romo who may only have 2-3 years left. One of the reasons QB keeps coming up with the Cowboys at #4 overall is because of Romo's health and the clock ticking on him.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
why not ask him?

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...iscusses-retirement-might-ultimately-come?f=r

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten discusses when retirement might ultimately come for him

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter: @SportsDayDFW
Since being drafted by the Cowboys in the third round in 2003, tight end Jason Witten has been such a fixture in Dallas that you might even take for granted his presence on the Cowboys.

But a 13-year NFL career can take a toll on even the toughest of players and Witten won't be able to play forever.

Witten went on ESPN Radio's Russillo & Kanell Show recently and the 33-year-old was asked if he could see himself playing until he was 39 or 40.

"I don't know about that long but the schedule now with the offseason, it helps veteran players," Witten replied. "I always say, if I can't play at a high level I don't want to be a guy that's hanging on. It's been a great ride and it's unbelievable."

So does that mean retirement could be imminent for the Cowboys legend? Not so fast.

"I take it one year at a time. I love playing. I have high standards for myself and ultimately you want to compete for a championship," Witten said. "So at this point it's just one year at a time. I could say five more years or seven but if you're healthy and I love playing and I love that challenge of trying to get back and being a part of it and being a leader and trying to make a run at it."

Well, Witten is still a productive player, bringing down 77 catches for 713 yards and three touchdowns in 2015 despite playing only four games with Tony Romo. So based off these statements, it looks like you can expect a lot more Witten before he hangs up his helmet.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The day Witten starts missing games due to injury is the day he should consider retirement that's usually when players start thinking about it. Witten doesn't miss games but when the day comes when his body starts breaking down that's when we need to use a premium pick on a TE to begin fazing him out. You start off by giving him some relief and if the other TE starts to produce you begin transitioning to the new TE but I don't see that happening for another 2-3 years.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Never said they did. Big difference between upstart and Romo. But nobody can deny they have a head start on their future at the QB position. Good thing they took both RGIII and Cousins. That's being proactive at a major position.

Romo, if he's upright, will hopefully continue to be what we saw in 2014. If not, we better draft our future QB in the first round this year. Ain't very often we suck bad enough to get the 4th overall pick in the NFL. Time to be proactive and stop with the excuses for not needing to draft a QB early.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Looked at ProFootballFocus, overall at the TE position.

2007: #1
2008: #3
2009: #1
2010: #1
2011: #7
2012: #2
2013: #1
2014: #2
2015: #51

The player who missed Romo the most is?

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
He has about as much time as Tony. They should end their careers together. Jones should end his too at the same time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Cousins continues to develop the way he has and Romo continues missing games due to injury the Commanders could have a big edge on us at QB in the next year or two. Cousins is almost 9 years younger than Romo and the arrow is pointing up on him and pointing downward on Romo who may only have 2-3 years left. One of the reasons QB keeps coming up with the Cowboys at #4 overall is because of Romo's health and the clock ticking on him.

Obviously, there's a difference in the ages and time left possibly playing in the league for the two players. That doesn't mean the Skins have a leg up on us at QB.

Two years is a lifetime in the NFL. I'd also disagree that Romo has a downward arrow just because he broke a collarbone on a tackle that would have sidelined any QB in the league. Romo's capable of playing QB in this league at the highest level. Cousins is going to cash in a huge contract on the basis of one decent season.

We were hearing similar stories of impending doom re: RG3 just a few seasons back. Now the guys angling to be our backup.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
He should have quit/ retired two years ago. Here are the problems with Witten:

• He's slow
  • He cannot break tackles
  • He runs routes 1-2 yards short of the first down marker in hopes of getting YAC but hardly ever gets them
  • He's good for 1-2 false starts a game
  • He's a progress stopper for other TE's

yea we see how that physique is doing wonders for Vernon Davis.