When should Jason Witten consider retirement?

gmoney112

Reaction score
They'll have a leg up if Cousins continues to develop the way he has and Romo continues to miss games due to injury. The fact that Cousins is 9 years younger than Romo and is reaching his prime while Romo is suffering injuries which has the team contemplating taking a QB with their first pick does give Washington an advantage right now when looking into the future. They did win the NFC East primarily due to the steady play of Cousins while the Cowboys finished in the basement due mostly to their QB situation. Besides the injuries Romo had a pretty rough season in the games he played. He was awful vs Carolina and only tossed 5 TD's compared to 7 int's this season and also lost a fumble. His 79.4 passer rating was by far the lowest of his career. When injuries start frequently occurring with an older player decline usually isn't far behind.

RG3's situation was a lot different than with Cousins he got off to a great start his rookie year and a knee injury that year contributed to his steady decline. While RG3 got worse over the years Cousins has developed and improved every season. He completed almost 70% of his passes this season with almost 4200 yards and 26 TD's and 11 int's. He finished 2015 with a passer rating of 101.6. Cousins has a good head on his shoulders you can see that in his interviews and although the jury is still out on him he has the appearance of a QB who could have a very solid career.

Anytime a team is thinking QB with a top 5 pick there's concern with their current starter and for their future. While Washington may have their QB of the future the Cowboys are going to have to start looking for one and having a top 5 pick doesn't guarantee they'll find their answer as the Commanders can attest to with RG3. This is an uncomfortable time for the Cowboys because with Romo aging and missing games the past 3 seasons the future appears uncertain. There's issues with the team that extend far past the QB position.

"They won the East because of the steady play of Cousins". A regular Tyler Perry over here guys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
"They won the East because of the steady play of Cousins". A regular Tyler Perry over here guys.

You're disagreeing with that? The last time they won the East in 2012 was primarily due to the play of their QB. Solid QB play usually leads to a good season for most teams.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
lol, thats what I was wondering, I don't think thats true

Lol Dedication to the conditioning program.

Dont let homerism blind you. Is witten a HOFer? Yes. Is he a class act. Yes. Is he a rkg? Yes. Can we upgrade at TE? Yes. Does that look fit to you? It doesnt to me

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
What does conditioning have to do with anything if they aren't productive in football.

Strength and conditioning is a part of every football program. As players get older they need to condition more. Put more work in.

If you are referring to Vernon Davis, he was productive and certainly not a bust. Shannon Sharpe is another tight end that took conditiong seriously. If you have the skills then conditioning will only help you be that much better. Check out Ertz and his workout and conditioning. If witten would just lose about 10lbs of fat and put on 10lbs of muscle he would be a little bit faster and prob could break a few of those cornerback shoestring tackles. When you are 265lbs, 180-190 lb guys shouldnt be routinely tackling you

yimyammer

Reaction score
Sorry if i wasnt reading your posts. All i read was that you didnt think he had a gut

No worries, if you had you'd see Im one of the most frustrated fans out there. I just didn't think he had a gut and compared to my fatass, I wouldn't call that much of a gut but to each, his own

joseephuss

Reaction score
Kind of ignoring one is young and in his prime while the other isn't. Reed has high upside.

Not at all. The young guy should have a higher average due to playing fewer games. The average tends to go down the more seasons played. Jordan Reed is 25. When Witten was 25 his average was 11.4 ypc and he only had one season when his average was less than 11.0 ypc. Reed has already had 2 seasons with an average less 11.0 ypc.

basstapp

Reaction score
Strength and conditioning is a part of every football program. As players get older they need to condition more. Put more work in.

If you are referring to Vernon Davis, he was productive and certainly not a bust. Shannon Sharpe is another tight end that took conditiong seriously. If you have the skills then conditioning will only help you be that much better. Check out Ertz and his workout and conditioning. If witten would just lose about 10lbs of fat and put on 10lbs of muscle he would be a little bit faster and prob could break a few of those cornerback shoestring tackles. When you are 265lbs, 180-190 lb guys shouldnt be routinely tackling you

I completely disagree with everything you are saying. Yes, Jason Witten doesn't get a whole lot after the catch, but he damn near catches everything. He is also one of the better blocking tight-ends. Not sure how comparing Witten to Vernon Davis (who isn't productive at all) proves a point. Zach Ertz is also 25 years old and has had one productive season. I think your grasping at air if you think that Witten speed is due to his conditioning.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
We would be a better team with a younger more explosive tight end. Listen, at some point you have to look in the mirror and make the decisions to improve your team.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
We can all agree Witten isn't what he used to be. He's still very solid and reliable, but when should he call it quits. When would you want a different starting tight end. Witten wants to play until his late 30's, but would it be better for the team to have a big play te. I personally want Jason to get a super bowl as the starter.

Witt will never retire. Twenty seven years from now when Jerry retires at the ripe old age of 100, 60-year-old TE Jason Witten will state: "Good luck, Jerry! We're going to miss you."

Seriously though, Witten should know his time is almost at an end so he should already be contemplating retirement.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not at all. The young guy should have a higher average due to playing fewer games. The average tends to go down the more seasons played. Jordan Reed is 25. When Witten was 25 his average was 11.4 ypc and he only had one season when his average was less than 11.0 ypc. Reed has already had 2 seasons with an average less 11.0 ypc.

10.9 (Really, this is what we are nitpicking?) and 11.1. He had injury problems in 2014 not to mention a constant change in QBs. Either way, this guy had over 900 yards receiving, nearly 90 catches, and double digit TDs.

If we are going to nitpick, let's talk about how terrible Witten is in the red zone.