When should Jason Witten consider retirement?

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Witten can still block with the best of them.

In a league that seems as if they want TE's to become glorified wide receivers, I consider us lucky to have a true tight end. One that blocks his tail off, hardly ever takes a play off, runs exceptional routes, has great hands and holds other teammates accountable. The way he decieves defenders with his precision routes and uses his body to create a solid window for the quarterback is greatness in my opinion. And he still does it just as he did when he came into the league.

I do realize some of his limitations, but no player is perfect. In my opinion, his game is what it has always been. He has gotten alittle slower, but has never been a yac guy anyway.

He is still one of the best in the league and has years left. I look forward to seeing him climb the latter in the record books and hopefully win a World Championship with our Cowboys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Witten had 25 more catches than any receiver on the team in 2015 and despite playing with 3 backup QBs for most of the season he had more yards and catches than he did in 2014. The team has burned three 2nd round picks on TEs since 2006 and none of them made an impact because of Witten. Those TEs weren't selected to replace Witten but to compliment him and they couldn't even do that with him and Dez receiving most of the targets.

With Witten being Romo's security blanket and still productive in the passing game I don't see him getting fazed out anytime soon. Although he's slowed down he still finds seams and moves the chains. With all these 2nd round TEs we've drafted flaming out one right after the other not sure the team is going to want to invest another premium pick on one until they're looking to replace Witten not compliment him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'll take Witten for a few years if we pick up another wr to play opposite of Dez

Twill had a career high in catches and yards this season despite our poor QB situation. He does need to be challenged to get him to show up every week but I don't think he's going to be that easy to replace. Every season he manages to show up and make some very big plays with games on the line and that's not an easy trait to find in a receiver.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
People have fallen in love with these tight ends who are really pretty much wide receivers. Granted, the appeal is there due to the big play ability.

Give me a Jason Witten, a real tight end, over a Jimmy Graham any day. Graham is soft and misses games all the time.

Travis Kelce is a tight end that reminds me of Witten to some extent with more athleticism.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
He should have quit/ retired two years ago. Here are the problems with Witten:

• He's slow
  • He cannot break tackles
  • He runs routes 1-2 yards short of the first down marker in hopes of getting YAC but hardly ever gets them
  • He's good for 1-2 false starts a game
  • He's a progress stopper for other TE's
And im disturbed that he has neglected his physical fitness. Compare his physique to Vernon Davis. Smh

Forgot the sarcasm font.

Bocephus

Reaction score
I agree with rather having Witten than graham. I never said he wasn't good I said he was very solid. People must of heard me wrong, can you quote where I said he needs to be gone this year

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
He should have quit/ retired two years ago. Here are the problems with Witten:

• He's slow
  • He cannot break tackles
  • He runs routes 1-2 yards short of the first down marker in hopes of getting YAC but hardly ever gets them
  • He's good for 1-2 false starts a game
  • He's a progress stopper for other TE's
And im disturbed that he has neglected his physical fitness. Compare his physique to Vernon Davis. Smh

No he shouldn't have retired two years ago. Escobar and the others here are/were their own progress stoppers. It's not like Witten is putting a spell on their route running, hands to catch a pass, or ability to block. If they can't be more effective in those areas than Witten, that's on them.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Emmit was a "class act" his last two years in Dallas, but we all could see that he was done. The same goes for Witten. Yeah yeah hes a class act...got it! Yeah yeah i saw the espn show on witten and how he overcame an abusive family ( father), he a good guy...got it. But if you throw all that out and just look at ability, he needs to be replaced or retire. Some people cant grasp this because they like witten. Its like when people cant see that their baby is ugly smh.

Then the TE"s behind have to SHOW they are capable and consistent when they get their minutes to replace Witten or make him retire. As for the baby comment, maybe it's your perception (of what beauty is) that's ugly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not asking for gronk, but someone who averages more than 9.3 yards a catch and 3 touchdowns.

Witten's 3 TD's tied Twill and Dez for the team lead by our receivers. Our QB situation kept all our receivers TD's down but Witten has never been a TD scoring machine. That's the one area of his game that's paled in comparison to Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates who were and are much more athletic than Witten. Witten has never had a double digit TD season.

Gonzalez had 111 career TD's and Gates has 104 compared to Witten who only has 60 TD's which is pretty poor considering he's played with a very productive QB in Romo who's had 4 seasons with more than 30 TD's. Witten's inability to jump and make plays on the ball has kept his TD's down. He has to be open because he's not going to jump, dive or battle for the football.

ccb04

Reaction score
When should Witten consider retirement? When he quits leading the team with 77 receptions (tied with Greg Olsen for 4th most among TE's in 2015), despite playing with the 3 scrubs backing up Romo & also with Dez missing a good portion of the season. And also when he ceases being an effective blocker overall.

Witten has never been the fastest or most athletic TE...he's simply put up numbers that has surpassed the great majority of his peers & could well culminate in a HOF induction.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Whenever he can't block anymore or shield defenders on a route.

He's the HoF teammate who always shows up and produces. Even when other guys might be having a bad week, there Jason is bringing it every play even when he has a broken jaw or punctured lung. You can't put a price on that. He's the most dependable guy on the team and probably the most complete TE in the NFL.

I wish the NFL would institute a regulated HRT protocol for guys when they reach 32-33. Not only is it completely legal for normal guys, but it'd prolong these NFL idols, which is better for everyone. Just my 2 cents.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Wow...

In your "analysis" you fail to mention that he is an NFL iron-man in terms of his durability, still runs great routes, still beats coverage regularly, still is an above average blocker, is Tony Romo's favorite target-- and OH YEAH, is one of the best locker room leaders and statesmen in the entire league.

Witten can play as long as he wants to. Period. Sure-fire HOF players have earned that right. "Progress Stopper?" Please. Every single player on the roster can learn from his example on how to be a professional player in the NFL.

Nice cheerleading

The OP was dead on.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We can all agree Witten isn't what he used to be. He's still very solid and reliable, but when should he call it quits. When would you want a different starting tight end. Witten wants to play until his late 30's, but would it be better for the team to have a big play te. I personally want Jason to get a super bowl as the starter.

He retires in 2018 when Dallas says bye to Romo

SDCowboy

Reaction score
With all the holes on this team no need to talk about the class act Witten is.

Oh please. If we can talk about Romo's eventual heir and retirement, we sure as heck can talk about Witten's. And what does Witten being a class act have to do with the subject anyway?

Anyway, I still think he has another season or two. He's still playing at a consistent enough level for the time being, IMO.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As long as he is a play maker, it's no body else's business if he should retire. God bless you Jason Witten... one of my all time favorite Cowboys.