When was the last time you truly felt like we had a chance to win a Super Bowl

GMO415

Reaction score
Had to be when Tuna was our HC. Damn sure wasn't when Campo was here.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
I dont think we were ever going to win with JG as the coach, he would never game plan a team and in the playoffs that matters. In every playoff game he coached he was out coached..sometimes the players would win one despite him but eventually that "line up and beat the man" crap would get exposed when the talent got tight. I thought we had a shot in 2007 maybe a small one, with how NE handled us in the regular season but I could see us beating them.

Wade was the coach that year JG took over the year after that mid season when he all of a sudden forgot how to call plays until he was the next man in line for the head coaching gig.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Except we had already played the Patriots at home and lost handily. We never had an answer to their passing attack, particularly Randy Moss. I venture to say Bill Belichick would’ve trumped Wade. The Giants won that Super Bowl in the strength if their defense and 2 very lucky plays. The play where Eli somehow escapes a sack and heaves a prayer to the middle of the field into double coverage and the JAG receiver catches it basically blind against his helmet. But that shouldn’t have mattered because I believe it was the play before that Eli gifted an INT to Assante Samual that that he simply dropped.

True but you have to remember the Giants didn't really pick up that defensive swagger until after the wildcard round of the playoffs. We smoked their behinds in the Meadowlands that year to win the east outright. My point is you never know how it all plays out because for some reason the Patriots malfunctioned in the Super Bowl I just think we had just as good of a chance to beat them the second time around with Wade already having faced them once before. Let's not forget he coached a defense that literally stifled a reining super bowl champ NE team when he was in Denver with Peyton on half an arm.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys have never won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30 or more points. Here are the QBs who lost as least one of those games:

Meredith
Morton
Staubach
Aikman
Romo
Prescott

Here we are in 2021, still trying to figure out how to play defense while fans keep blaming the QB for its shortcomings.

"If wE scoRed 30 pOinTs in the fiRst qUarTer the deFenSe woUldn'T bE a proBleM."

thumb_mocking-spongebob-transparent-png-clipart-free-download-ya-webdesign-51593241.png

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy won a Super Bowl.

Mike Fox won a Super Bowl.

Bruce Arians won a Super Bowl.

You don't need a great coach to win a Super Bowl.

Quarterbacks and great defenses win Super Bowls.

And front offices that provide talent and get out of the way.
Bruce arians is a great coach and only MM had a top 2 QB FOR 12+ seasons.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the cowboys were never going to the superbowl and win it with a rookie qb
I wish any narrative would change from "Rookie Quarterback and the Dallas Cowboys" to "Rookie Quarterback and any National Football League team." Additionally, any focus should shift from Dak Prescott and put solely upon Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett shoulders.

Both Tony Romo and Kellen Moore were injured in preseason. Dak Prescott was given the opportunity and performed historically well in the regular season. His postseason performance was the least common denominator for why the team lost to the Packers.

The 2016 season was completely a matter of managerial and coaching decision-making. Football is a team sport. The team was constructed and performed extremely well. It already had an experienced veteran quarterback. The veteran has judged healthy enough to return to starting lineup.

If the veteran quarterback had been re-inserted as the starter, there was no guarantee how the season would have ended. Romo could have suffered another injury that would permanently sidelined him at some point, perhaps as early as his very first snap. The team could have stumbled down the stretch and suffered regular season losses under Romo that it did not sustain under Prescott in reality. The team may have laid a fat ol' goose egg against the Packers in the postseason with Romo under center.

These scenarios and more could have happened. However, your team has a veteran quarterback. And no matter how few the opportunities had occurred before that fateful season, one undisputable fact remained:

No rookie quarterback has led their team to an Super Bowl appearance or win following the 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 seasons

and

No rookie quarterback has led their team to an Super Bowl appearance or win following the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons.

Records are meant to be broken. One day, the above record will be broken. Here is the all-important question:

Why the <expletive> did Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett gamble on breaking that record when they had a veteran quarterback to hinge their bets against history?

The 2016 season is a old festering sore for me. I have zero misgivings towards Dak Prescott being on the roster since the day he was drafted. In my opinion, Prescott is more than capable of winning multiple championships for this franchise with the right team surrounding him JUST LIKE ANY OTHER QUARTERBACK playing the sport.

Nope. The 2016 abscess is filled with the pus of Jones and Garrett--and mainly Jones for me personally. That man was 100% behind Romo's career. The first moment he 'knew' Romo's replacement (and let there be no doubt that Prescott was his replacement) could become his new franchise quarterback, Jones dropped Romo from any championship challenging equation.

Despite successful runs like the New England Patriots in the NFL, championships are history's fleeting opportunities in professional sports. Any challenging franchise's smartest bet is using every asset it has available and recognize just how daunting a task it really can be to win one championship, let alone a string of them.

No. Not Jones and Garrett. Nah. It was RIDE or DIE! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAW!

I would pay Samuel L. Jackson good money to tell both to their faces exactly what I think of them. Sam does it SO well lol.

/rant

75boyz

Reaction score
This is a great question and kind of my thesis for the longest time. 2007 was really the best team since the early 90's. That team could have and most probably should have made the Super Bowl. I agree with other posters, there is no chance we beat NE as they smoked us in Dallas earlier that year.
They get there if Parcells is the coach.
2009 & 2014 were good teams, 2016 was more lightning in a bottle.... So fellow zoners think about this we have had basically 5 years out of the past 25 where the team had second round playoff aspirations. Remember we have not won a second round game since 1996. This is the thesis that I have been saying for the past several years.
Jerry realized that being just good enough is the secret. He does not care about winning a SB. He really just doesnt want to go 3-13. He is afraid of failure or taking a chance. Being safe and do what other teams have done is all he cares about. It's the truth no matter if anyone agrees or disagrees. The proof is in his behavior over all of these 25 years. He has stuck to being a GM, player personnel guy, hires puppet coaches who have no authority. If Jerry cared about winning a Super Bowl, this organization would have made more headway over th past quarter century. It is embarrassing to be in the same boat as the Lions and WFT as the only NFC teams to have not made a championship game. This is Americas's team? Name only.
Bad process equals bad results. Even the minor success that this team has had is all based on luck. Go back to 2018, the team is slated for a top 3-4 pick and they trade a number 1 to Oakland for Amari.. yes the result turned out good but the process was bad. I am sorry the process of trading a potential top 5 slot for a disgruntled WR usually will not work out . Even the Jones boys did not expect success until the 2019 season. Stephen Jones said so himself.
Going back to if Jerry actually wanted to win, he would have hired the best front office, best scouts, boadrooms full of analytics teams, etc. There is no salary cap on Front office.
Here are some additional facts. He is a Hall of Famer, most valuable franchise, he has 3 rings, and until recently he had squashed Jimmy Johnson. He is really the emperor who has not clothes. I am forever hoping things will be better, but I am resigned to the fact that every few years the team will go above .500 and make the playoffs. Winning consistently or having a culture of winning like NE, Balt, Pitts, GB, recently the Rams, SF, Seattle... this front office just doesn't approach football or really care enough to do that. It's a fact I am not negative I have just realized that the most success for the Cowboys is on youtube.
Jerry really just does not want to be in a rebuild. Even Jimmy was able to complete a total overhaul from 89-91... 1-15 to 11-5. Look at other teams now, rebuilds happen very quickly.

Agree with all of it. But there's a pro Front Office/Jerry group that laughs at the words responsibility and accountability and where it all begins and ends. They've become so hypnotized by Jerry's marketing that there's a shared belief to just overcome the GM'ing and coaching with their skewed perception of superior roster building which the Joneses do not possess the skills to accomplish.

What you've shared here may hurt sometimes but doesn't make it any less true.

jmo

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
Romo was 10x the QB in 2016 that Dak was in 2016. Romo was picking defenses apart every time he stepped on the field his last 2-3 NFL seasons. Dak was a rookie, winning because of the best running game in the world along with the best O line in the world. He literally was the definition of a bus driver in 2016. Romo would of made that team so scary on offense. Instead of just being the best running team in the league, Romo would of also made us one of the best passing teams. I don't think even Garrett would of been able to hold back that team.
Plus the defense was stronger in 2016. Look at the STATE of the defenders getting snaps vs the Packers in 2014. Sean Lee was also available and playing at an All Pro level in 2016...he missed the entire 2014 season.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
2007 and 2016

#1 seed both years. 2007 was the better team on paper, with a far better defense. 2016 just felt like we were winning with house money all year, everything went right.

Big_D

Reaction score
2006. Haven't had any hope in the coaching since then.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Mine was in 06 because it was the last time we had a HC who could lead a team. That team was no where near perfect but if not for a fluke play we probably get to the SB. Now we have had some good runs since but under Garrett I never felt like he could coach anywhere on par with other coaches and sadly I feel the same way with MM.

Swagger

Reaction score
I could see us reaching the Superbowl in both 2014 and 2016 but not winning it either years. The defense wasn't good enough in 2014 and whilst Dak had an excellent season in 2016, a rookie QB has never won the Superbowl.

So 2007 would have to be my answer. Game of fine margins vs the Giants - that's sport.

kskboys

Reaction score
True but you have to remember the Giants didn't really pick up that defensive swagger until after the wildcard round of the playoffs. We smoked their behinds in the Meadowlands that year to win the east outright. My point is you never know how it all plays out because for some reason the Patriots malfunctioned in the Super Bowl I just think we had just as good of a chance to beat them the second time around with Wade already having faced them once before. Let's not forget he coached a defense that literally stifled a reining super bowl champ NE team when he was in Denver with Peyton on half an arm.
Not for some reason, it was due to a prolific pass rush. Brady was sacked 5 times and hit repeatedly.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
2014, as it was the best performance from a QB this franchise has ever seen.

Unfortunately, Kyle Wilber, Demarco Murray, and Dean Blandino robbed us