When Will Jerry Jones Fire Mike McCarthy?

When is doomsday for McCarthy in Dallas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take a guess when Jones will finally divorce himself from his current head coach. Deadline to vote is June 1.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I oddly think McCarthys leash may be linked to what Jerry is hearing about the development of Trey Lance. If Dak walks after this year but Lance is trending in the right direction Jerry may be hesitant to make a coaching change just for the sake of his new QB. If Dak signs an extension or the Cowboys are starting completely fresh at the QB position Id say that becomes pretty irrelevant though.

I think things would have to get really bad for Jerry to move on from his HC mid year.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have a question @DallasEast . I'm not understanding the "immediately following" or "any time before" response. Shouldn't that be 2 responses? Like if the Cowboys lose their playoff game, then the Coach is fired, is different than if they fire the Coach before their playoff game. So, not sure how to answer. I'd like to believe they will fire Coach Mike following a playoff loss.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I’m not even sure he’s gonna get fired. I think with the amount of turnover on this roster if they show strides of improvement and development from Lance, I think Jerry rolls with McCarthy longer, but that’s just my opinion. The guy went out of his way to credit Mike For Dak’s season. I think if you were looking to make a change at quarterback next year, probably might want to keep the guy around who can coach QB’s.

Not saying it’s the right answer just something I think is a real possibility.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is silly. he isn't firing him in season so most of the answers aren't even relevant.

visionary

Reaction score
Dak is a great regular season QB and has been very effective in MM system

Defense will be less sexy but more disciplined and physical under Zimmer

I expect 11-6 and make the playoffs if Dak plays the full season

To me there is a better chance MM and Dak get new contracts than they get fired

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a question @DallasEast . I'm not understanding the "immediately following" or "any time before" response. Shouldn't that be 2 responses? Like if the Cowboys lose their playoff game, then the Coach is fired, is different than if they fire the Coach before their playoff game. So, not sure how to answer. I'd like to believe they will fire Coach Mike following a playoff loss.
Certainly.

An example of 'immediately after' would be a press conference held after the conclusion of the game.

An example of 'any time before; would be a press conference held before the start of the week indicated.

I will provide detailed examples.

Scenario #1: Dallas plays the Giants on Thursday, September 26. Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy held a joint press conference on Friday, September 27. The voting option would be 'Immediately following or any time before Week 4 (at New York Giants)' since September 27 comes after September 26 but well-before the next week's game.

Scenario #2: Jones and McCarthy held a press conference the day after the end of the preseason game (Los Angeles Chargers) on August 25. Any of the five 'Immediately following or any time before...' options are valid since August 25 precedes Week 4, 9, 14, 18 and any playoff game that might be played.

The options provide flexibility to the voting member. For instance, one member may believe McCarthy will be canned around the time Dallas plays Atlanta in Week 9 but thinks McCarthy could also be pink-slipped any time before Week 9 The available choice is 'Immediately following or any time before Week 9 (at Atlanta Falcons)'. The member's choice is both correct if McCarthy's bumped around the Falcons game or unexpectedly sometime during training camp.

Another example is a member believing McCarthy will remained employed throughout the entire regular season and believes Jones will kick him to the curb as soon as the team plays its last playoff game but has the added feeling McCarthy's end might happen sometime during the regular season instead OR even before the regular season starts. The member's choice would be correct if either case happened should they vote 'Immediately following or any time before the last playoff game (if the team reaches the postseason)'.

Voting members can hedge their 'bets', sort of like playing over/under. Hope that helps.