When will JJ get his fill?

Falco78

Reaction score
The only thing that would make him change is if we dropped by 10k+ fans at a home game for a few games. That's not happening and he ain't change for anybody

Batman1980

Reaction score
One of the most frustrating parts of being a Cowboys fan the last decade plus, is watching our favorite team get owned in the playoffs by teams not more talented, but certainly teams that are better coached.

We saw signs this year of Jerry’s frustration watching Garrett’s overly cautious coaching style. Like in the Houston game. Or the first skins game. Garrett is a “manage by caution” type of coach instead of a leader who takes risks to win.

When will Jerry realize that his HC is a cautious manager not a bold leader? When will JJ realize a leopard can’t change its spots? Garrett isn’t going to suddenly morph into Sean McVey or Sean Payton. There comes a time when you realize he is who he is.

We have nearly a decade of watching how Garrett manages a team. It’s a process and a process that ends with a divisional round loss, and that’s just when we actually make the playoffs. How much more evidence is needed?

Will it take a quarter century without even making a conference championship before Jerry says “I’m tired of this”? How much playoff failure is enough? What’s the magic breaking point? Or is Jerry just satisfied with a Forbes trophy every year as long as fans show up and buy jerseys?

I think it's very telling that the buzz all over Texas was that Jason's extension was inevitable. Then we lost to the Rams and all that talk went away. Tells you Jerry expected to win that game and was disappointed when we didn't.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's very telling that the buzz all over Texas was that Jason's extension was inevitable. Then we lost to the Rams and all that talk went away. Tells you Jerry expected to win that game and was disappointed when we didn't.
Jerry should have expected to win that game as well as the 2016 home loss to GB. He should know this team has enough talent to go further but they do not have the coaching. How much more evidence does the so called “river boat gambler”, the “slant drilling wildcatter” need to know he has a HC that sees taking chances as a too risky?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the most frustrating parts of being a Cowboys fan the last decade plus, is watching our favorite team get owned in the playoffs by teams not more talented, but certainly teams that are better coached.

We saw signs this year of Jerry’s frustration watching Garrett’s overly cautious coaching style. Like in the Houston game. Or the first skins game. Garrett is a “manage by caution” type of coach instead of a leader who takes risks to win.

When will Jerry realize that his HC is a cautious manager not a bold leader? When will JJ realize a leopard can’t change its spots? Garrett isn’t going to suddenly morph into Sean McVey or Sean Payton. There comes a time when you realize he is who he is.

We have nearly a decade of watching how Garrett manages a team. It’s a process and a process that ends with a divisional round loss, and that’s just when we actually make the playoffs. How much more evidence is needed?

Will it take a quarter century without even making a conference championship before Jerry says “I’m tired of this”? How much playoff failure is enough? What’s the magic breaking point? Or is Jerry just satisfied with a Forbes trophy every year as long as fans show up and buy jerseys?
~Puts personal Cerebro on head that is designed specifically for me to read Jerry Jones thoughts~

My 'I thinks' :
When will Jerry realize that his HC is a cautious manager not a bold leader?
I think Jones has his own definition of the required qualities a head coach should have and they will likely not match the ones considered necessary by others.
When will JJ realize a leopard can’t change its spots?
I think Jones cares much less about a head coach's methodology than he cares for what he deems are acceptable results that he believes will one day soon lead to better results.
How much more evidence is needed?
I think another sub.-500 season might do the trick.
Will it take a quarter century without even making a conference championship before Jerry says “I’m tired of this”?
I think Jones will move past Garrett eventually. The real question is who will Jones replace Garrett with?
How much playoff failure is enough?
I think Jones sees playoff appearances as the first step to playoff wins and playoff wins as the final step to another championship. I think in Jones' eyes, Garrett has taken the first step, although sporadically, and is perfectly content to wait-and-see if Garrett can take the next step he expects.
What’s the magic breaking point?
See answer #3 above.
Or is Jerry just satisfied with a Forbes trophy every year as long as fans show up and buy jerseys?
I think Jones loves and has loved every single accolade he has received his entire life, regardless of any particular award's significance. They feed and empower his narcissism. However, I think Jones cares most in life in proving he is right about all his decisions--without exception. And the without exception logically includes his own head coaching mandate.

~removes Cerebro from head and asks Hank McCoy for an aspirin~

GenoT

Reaction score
I’m trying to remember the last time a second year NFL Coach was handed an OC position.
Bob...if it happens, the ironic beauty of the move will be that it gives both Garrett and Moore some breathing room, in the event KM isn’t quite the insta-genius some think he is.

Jerry Jones Dec 2019:

“While I’m not happy that we finished 6-10, people have to realize that Kellen Moore is new to the job and will need time to gain experience and grow. Stephen, Jason and I have complete faith in him.”

Throw in a couple of 8-8’s and we’ll be ready to compete.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry should have expected to win that game as well as the 2016 home loss to GB. He should know this team has enough talent to go further but they do not have the coaching. How much more evidence does the so called “river boat gambler”, the “slant drilling wildcatter” need to know he has a HC that sees taking chances as a too risky?
Just curious, why should he have expected to win an away game against a 13 win team with a superior offense to his own?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just curious, why should he have expected to win an away game against a 13 win team with a superior offense to his own?
My point on that is that the Cowboys IMO are close in talent to just about any other contender in the league. With better coaching, the rams game may have been a lot more winnable.

Yes the rams were a 13 win team but I think that the thing that separates them from Dallas is Sean McVey. I think that’s what Jerry should be looking at. His talent acquisition has greatly improved through Will McClay, but what good is that improved talent if it doesn’t also have good coaching?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As far as a 2nd year coach being offered the OC job, Booger had entertained the idea of having Garrett pass GO and be the HC when he first hired him.

One thing that is apparent to me, Booger holds coaching in low regard unless he needs something from them, turn the team to black or get a new Big Top. And Moore will be inexpensive compared to some name coaches.

The game isn't about winning for the game has already been won.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point on that is that the Cowboys IMO are close in talent to just about any other contender in the league. With better coaching, the rams game may have been a lot more winnable.

Yes the rams were a 13 win team but I think that the thing that separates them from Dallas is Sean McVey. I think that’s what Jerry should be looking at. His talent acquisition has greatly improved through Will McClay, but what good is that improved talent if it doesn’t also have good coaching?
I do not agree with the talent level being close between Dallas and the NFC contenders. The game was lost on the line and the score should have actually been worse if not for a couple of lucky breaks.

No disagreement on the coaching at all, I am not a fan but I do understand why they are there. And after that Monday after the season ended, I think everyone knows why Garrett is there.

lukin2006

Reaction score

Your post is spot on and great, I really enjoy reading them. I will never understand people like Jerry. If I had his money I'd have the best football people here and sit back on my boat and watch the winning. I'll say this, there is no doubt in my mind Bob Kraft has enjoyed these last 20 years, and can say he has no regrets. Yet Jerry is so stubborn, he risks going to his grave never experiencing a championship again...and to me that his sad ... to deny yourself, your family, friends, the team and the fans championship calibre football all because his ego is so big that he can not admit he is NO GM...

And I'll bet BB is far more difficult to work with than Jimmy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your post is spot on and great, I really enjoy reading them. I will never understand people like Jerry. If I had his money I'd have the best football people here and sit back on my boat and watch the winning. I'll say this, there is no doubt in my mind Bob Kraft has enjoyed these last 20 years, and can say he has no regrets. Yet Jerry is so stubborn, he risks going to his grave never experiencing a championship again...and to me that his sad ... to deny yourself, your family, friends, the team and the fans championship calibre football all because his ego is so big that he can not admit he is NO GM...

And I'll bet BB is far more difficult to work with than Jimmy.
It is understandable why some people do not and will never understand Jerry Jones. His inflexibility is rationalized and simplified as common traits such as stubborn, greed, or basic ego. The man has always been and will forever be a BIT more complicated than those qualities.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JG not signed to a multi-year deal speeks volumes to me .
Let’s hope JJ doesn’t wait until March (when many fans are watching March Madness) to announce an extension for his youngest boy Jason. God help us if he does.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As far as a 2nd year coach being offered the OC job, Booger had entertained the idea of having Garrett pass GO and be the HC when he first hired him.

One thing that is apparent to me, Booger holds coaching in low regard unless he needs something from them, turn the team to black or get a new Big Top. And Moore will be inexpensive compared to some name coaches.

The game isn't about winning for the game has already been won.
TRUTH- Jerry holds coaching in low regard. Always has.

Big_D

Reaction score
Fill of what? Poor coaching? LOL He's a jackazz who wouldn't recognize it anyway. It's the cleats.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Not saying coaching isn't part of the issue but I've been reading about how more talented the Cowboys are than their opponents pretty much since I first got online. Fans have a tendency to over value the talent on their own roster compared to their opponents at pretty much every position but QB. Every summer we have threads about trading some bum for a 4th round pick who ends up getting cut and goes unsigned, while Dak is the worst QB in the NFL.

It's too easy to say the only thing we need is a new coach - how many has Jerry tried the last 20+ years? I'm not opposed to one, I just don't expect it to make a big difference in this organization.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not saying coaching isn't part of the issue but I've been reading about how more talented the Cowboys are than their opponents pretty much since I first got online. Fans have a tendency to over value the talent on their own roster compared to their opponents at pretty much every position but QB. Every summer we have threads about trading some bum for a 4th round pick who ends up getting cut and goes unsigned, while Dak is the worst QB in the NFL.

It's too easy to say the only thing we need is a new coach - how many has Jerry tried the last 20+ years? I'm not opposed to one, I just don't expect it to make a big difference in this organization.
I agree with you about the over-valuing of the talent around here. I do think Will McClay has helped add more talent here because gawd knows how clueless JJ is about building a roster.

But as you said, adding a new head coach won’t be the cure all. But can we agree that Jason Garrett has had enough time? Hasn't Garrett used all of his nine lives?