Where are all of the Ellis doubters now?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
So far, that garbage about Ellis having problems this year has been just that... garbage.
He is killing it with 3.5 sacks.

And like I said before the season, Glover is going to have his best season as a Cowboy yet. So far it's shaping up to be true. 3 sacks.

BP is right. Football players play football on Sunday, regardless of scheme.

All these doubters prior to the season about where do Ellis and Glover fit in are now nowhere to be found.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
So far, that garbage about Ellis having problems this year has been just that... garbage.

And like I said before the season, Glover is going to have his best season as a Cowboy yet. So far it's shaping up to be true. 3 sacks.

All these doubters prior to the season about where do Ellis and Glover fit in are now nowhere to be found.

Good post, 6.5 sacks between them and numerous pressures, forced fumbles and recoveries. I would much rather has those stats than a 2nd and 3rd picks for them next year.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

And the assertion that he was on the trading block during the off-season was pure garbage too!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
This is working out perfect. Ellis being fresh...the sacks and pressures are coming right when we need them. Man this defense looks choreographed the last couple of weeks.....finally.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Aside from that it prolongs the career of Ellis and all of the other DL's...

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Ellis himself was one of those doubters.

kmd24

Reaction score
The success of Ellis and Glover is a by-product of having quality players across the line.

Most often, lack of double teams are cited as the reason for increased production, but Ellis was never double-teamed all that often. I think a bigger reason is that the presence of Ware in the backfield (even when he is pushed past the QB) is causing the QB to step into the pressure created by the other linemen. A secondary effect is that pressure makes the QB stop scanning the field as he looks for a place to maneuver among all the Cowboys jerseys.

Not playing 60 snaps (rest) probably helps too.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
The success of Ellis and Glover is a by-product of having quality players across the line.

Most often, lack of double teams are cited as the reason for increased production, but Ellis was never double-teamed all that often. I think a bigger reason is that the presence of Ware in the backfield (even when he is pushed past the QB) is causing the QB to step into the pressure created by the other linemen. A secondary effect is that pressure makes the QB stop scanning the field as he looks for a place to maneuver among all the Cowboys jerseys.

Not playing 60 snaps (rest) probably helps too.

For years, we've all been saying: "All we need is another Charles Haley." We finally got him and it's making the other guys look like Tony Tolberts.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I was never a Ellis doubter, but I did think we would trade Glover not because I didnt' like him or even want to seem him gone but because what he said at the start of the offseason. which was that he would not fit in the 34 and he didn't expect to be back if we did make the change.

Now he does get pushed around a lot in the 34 but he seems to have more fire and energy late in games, but that's more because we have a DL rotation going.

I'm glad we kept Ellis and Glover now the question comming up next offseason is how do we afford to keep them?

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Ellis is a good player. He has always been a good player, last year he DID get a lot of double teams, and it seems this year they are reserving the doubles for D. Ware.

Another thing to consider is we got passed on at will last year. I notice with the superb coverage this year, even if its just a half second longer that the QB has to hold the ball, Ellis and Glover seem to get off thier block and get some pressure...I would like to see some more from Spears however, but he is learning how I suppose.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

He's playing solid, but he's hardly killing it.

Chief amongst those doubters was Ellis - and to a lesser degree, Glover - himself.

Ellis is playing good football because he's surrounded by better players than last year and he's getting some plays off during the game. Even so, I was disappointed by Ellis and his linemates being totally spent late in the Giants game. The Giants only had like 50 offensive plays and Ellis was rotated out some. He should've had some gas left in the tank, but he didn't, as was evident on his pitiful fumble return.

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
Most of the Ellis doubters said he could get double digit sacks... just wait until he gets double digits sacks to call the Ellis doubters out...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He's on pace for his usual season.

He's doing fine and the Dline rotation will prolong his career. Canty, Spears are our Future 3-4 DE's and Ellis is a nice role player. Good player - not great.

superpunk

Reaction score
And Ellis has 10 pressures, I think. It was in Mick's column today. The Dlinemen are getting it done, regardless of scheme. WE're getting so much rpessure on the QB, it's making the whole D better.

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
I think the people around Ellis like Jason Ferguson, Marcus Spears, Demarcus Ware, Chris Canty, and La'Roi Glover could really make Greg Ellis better...

Hiero

Reaction score
When does Ellis and Glover's contract run out? I agree it might be a bit tough to keep them both along with ferg canty spears etc.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hiero said:
When does Ellis and Glover's contract run out? I agree it might be a bit tough to keep them both along with ferg canty spears etc.

Glover's runs out before Ellis' does...he sighed a long term contract extension during the 2003 season, and he has been a huge bargain under that contract...he's vastly out performed some guys (such as Grant Wistrom and Jevon Kearse) who signed contracts worth several times what Ellis got

Ellis has always been a good player thats been extremely under appreciated here

David

Hiero

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Glover's runs out before Ellis' does...he sighed a long term contract extension during the 2003 season, and he has been a huge bargain under that contract...he's vastly out performed some guys (such as Grant Wistrom and Jevon Kearse) who signed contracts worth several times what Ellis got

Ellis has always been a good player thats been extremely under appreciated here

David
Any idea when glovers or ellis runs out? either way its nice to have talent AND depth on the dline for once.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I never doubted Ellis. I doubted the fact that he could be as effective in a 3-4. I doubted the fact that he would be around long term.

I would be very interested to see where the majority of his pressures are coming from, 43 or 34. I honestly don't know.

I believe the rest of this is still unwritten.

In short, I'm right here.

TheHustler

Reaction score
I really don't like these "call out other board members posts", but thats just me.