Where are all of the Ellis doubters now?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Nors said:
Ellis never really has lived up to a #8 overall pick. Good solid player. Not an All Pro or game impactor that you would like to get out of that pick.

I think that's the reason people like myself have "underappreciated" Ellis as dbair would say. It's because we have much higher expectations of him as the 8th overall pick and he hasn't played up to his draft status.

But I get the other side too. Ellis has been a consistent player and a good teammate. He certainly contributes to this team regardless of where he was drafted.

In the past we were hard on him because when our pass rush was lacking, you expected your former first round picks particularly an 8th overall pick to really step it up and be that impact player, and that was asking too much of him when we should have just appreciated the great contribution he makes to this team each year.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
I really don't like these "call out other board members posts", but thats just me.
I was mainly referring to all of the media columns, etc. that spoke so much about Ellis and Glover and their inability to perform in a new scheme.
Even in light of BP's confidence in them, they kept writing stories about how Ellis and Glover were going to be dominated all year long.

As far as my choice of words in "killing it". Maybe I overstated a little but I was basically speaking of not only his 3.5 sacks but numerous pressures and fumble recovery, etc. He is having a great season so far.

I also wasn't being triumphant in my statements because even I wondered a little about Ellis's ability to perform in the new scheme but upon BP's vote of confidence in him, I reconsidered.
As for Glover, I knew he was going to be a major contributor. He always has been but now he is fresher than ever, even late in the games. I got sick of reading about how he couldn't play NT and he was too small and all the "where does he fit?" articles as well as the "trade him" talk. I was confident he would produce, especially in passing situations if he was fresher and knew that he had played the same shceme in NO before and did well.

I just have the utmost confidence in BP and his ability to get the most out of his players. He knows this game and knows it well and people question him often before they even see the fruits of his labor or jump to conclusions often before they see his exact intentions.

On a side note, we have been playing a whole lot of nickel defense with essentially 4 downlinemen but the rotation is keeping all of our guys freash and certain players just seem to contribute on Sundays, no matter what you do with them.

dfense

Reaction score
Having the Dallas defense in my fantasy league, I was upset to see the Giants center and guard chase Ellis down after 35 yards. Even when Ellis had a ten yard head start. What was that all about?

TheHustler

Reaction score
dfense said:
Having the Dallas defense in my fantasy league, I was upset to see the Giants center and guard chase Ellis down after 35 yards. Even when Ellis had a ten yard head start. What was that all about?

He just ran out of steam, these guys train to hustle for about 10-20 yards, you could see he hit a wall after he hit about mid field. I think BP in his press conference, said something like "I timed you after you picked up the fumble, it took you 3.5 days".

But I expected him to score too, if he didn't make that cut, he might have.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I was mainly referring to all of the media columns, etc. that spoke so much about Ellis and Glover and their inability to perform in a new scheme.
Even in light of BP's confidence in them, they kept writing stories about how Ellis and Glover were going to be dominated all year long.

As far as my choice of words in "killing it". Maybe I overstated a little but I was basically speaking of not only his 3.5 sacks but numerous pressures and fumble recovery, etc. He is having a great season so far.

I also wasn't being triumphant in my statements because even I wondered a little about Ellis's ability to perform in the new scheme but upon BP's vote of confidence in him, I reconsidered.
As for Glover, I knew he was going to be a major contributor. He always has been but now he is fresher than ever, even late in the games. I got sick of reading about how he couldn't play NT and he was too small and all the "where does he fit?" articles as well as the "trade him" talk. I was confident he would produce, especially in passing situations if he was fresher and knew that he had played the same shceme in NO before and did well.

I just have the utmost confidence in BP and his ability to get the most out of his players. He knows this game and knows it well and people question him often before they even see the fruits of his labor or jump to conclusions often before they see his exact intentions.

On a side note, we have been playing a whole lot of nickel defense with essentially 4 downlinemen but the rotation is keeping all of our guys freash and certain players just seem to contribute on Sundays, no matter what you do with them.

Fair enough. The DL rotation is definitely a major help, I hope we can keep it up.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Did I miss something? Did he turn into LT or something? He plays the run well and gets an occasional sack. Same as always.

jem88

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I certainly agree with you on this. I also think he's done a good job drafting since he's been (and in his previous stint with the Jets.)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BP today said that Ellis is benefitting because Ware is drawing double teams.

Scotman

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Did I miss something? Did he turn into LT or something? He plays the run well and gets an occasional sack. Same as always.

Evidently you did miss something. There were a good deal of people who said he would not be able to produce in a 3-4 because of his size. He is currently having one of his best seasons since he was drafted. He's not LT, but the thread really wasn't comparing him to perhaps the best LB to ever play. Ellis plays DE, by the way.