Where is the Prescott to the Giants noise coming from?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is probably the third or fourth nugget I have heard or read this off-season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-mailbag-super-bowl-dark-horses

From Jimmy T (@jimmy_tomredle): If the Giants move on from Daniel Jones after this upcoming season, could you see them pursuing Dak Prescott?

Jimmy, I think the Giants are keeping their options open at quarterback past this year. Obviously, the idea of moving up to draft Drake Maye was very much on the table, and that would’ve meant moving on from Jones, probably after 2024. Jones’s money isn’t guaranteed past this year, and Drew Lock could wrest playing time away from him this year if he has any bumps coming back from ACL surgery.

Or Jones could have the kind of year he did in 2022 and buy the Giants a little more time.

Look, I’m not under any illusion that Jones is going to be New York’s quarterback five years from now. But we’ve seen him play at a pretty decent level. The team holds de facto options on him for the next two years. They aren’t cheap. But they would allow the team to maintain flexibility. So would you rather have Jones on those terms, or Prescott under an agreement that would tie you to him for the next four or five years? Especially if Jones plays well?

Bottom line, I’m not ruling anything out on this one.

I'm throwing this in........lol

From AMNFL_Andy (@AMNfl_Andy): Gut feeling. Do the Cowboys extend both CeeDee and Dak long term? Or is one or both gone?

Andy, I think CeeDee Lamb’s situation might have the potential to get the nastiest this summer, and I also see him as the most likely of the three (if we include Micah Parsons) to get extended first. He’s in a contract year. His market is fairly straight-forward. Regardless of what the Dallas Cowboys do at quarterback going forward, they’re going to need a guy like him on the perimeter.

The Dak Prescott situation is complicated, and I’m not as sure it’ll get settled before real games start (though history would suggest cooler heads will prevail on that one). And the Parsons negotiation, with two years left on his deal, is a real wild card for the team.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's probably just speculation based on common sense. If Dallas lets Dak walk, and Jones looks like crap, it could happen.

But the Giants would need to support Dak better than they did Jones. That OL has been garbage. They got a new toy at WR, we'll see how he does.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Trade him to the giants

He’ll waive his ntc to go there. No doubt
He is not going to give up a chance to be a free agent to join the Giants. If NYG wants him they’ll have to come up with the deal he likes the most when they’re bidding against all interested teams. Cowboys fans dreaming of getting something in trade for Dak Prescott are delusional. It is never going to happen. And the Giants are stuck with Jones at QB for this season. They’ll be players for Dak’s services in March. “No doubt”

JBS

Reaction score
He is not going to give up a chance to be a free agent to join the Giants. If NYG wants him they’ll have to come up with the deal he likes the most when they’re bidding against all interested teams. Cowboys fans dreaming of getting something in trade for Dak Prescott are delusional. It is never going to happen. And the Giants are stuck with Jones at QB for this season. They’ll be players for Dak’s services in March. “No doubt”
Dak isn’t turning down a contract that would make him the highest paid qb in the league right now. But that’s all fantasy talk anyways. So it doesn’t matter

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dak isn’t turning down a contract that would make him the highest paid qb in the league right now. But that’s all fantasy talk anyways. So it doesn’t matter
Dak is not going to miss a chance to be a free agent under any circumstance. No NFL team is going to trade any assets for him when they know they can get him in free agency in 8 months. He already knows he’s going to be the highest paid player in NFL history, for a few weeks anyway.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but why would he agree to a trade instead of free agency? Just wait to go the Giants in free agency.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak is not going to miss a chance to be a free agent under any circumstance. No NFL team is going to trade any assets for him when they know they can get him in free agency in 8 months. He already knows he’s going to be the highest paid player in NFL history, for a few weeks anyway.
Pretty much.

JBS

Reaction score
So you are suggesting that Dak isn’t going to sign a contract offer w Dallas either then?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So then Dak won’t sign an extension here either then before free agency right?
What I’m saying is why would he go to an inferior team in the Giants when he could just wait and they keep their compensation? It seems like the smarter thing to do is play it out on the Cowboys in a offense you are comfortable in and test free agency and don’t have a team trade compensation for you.

Then looking at it from the side of other teams…why would you trade for Dak when he’s about to be a free agent?