Where the Jones' regime has failed the most

Motorola

Reaction score
To me it's simple. Jerry and son are making football decisions they are not qualified to make. Of course Jerry is not the first billionaire who thinks his money qualifies him to make decisions on any and everything. Leave the football matters to football experts. There's no shame in admitting you're not a great football mind and delegate to those who are, but it has to be Jerry's way and the playoff results speak for themselves the past 29 seasons.
Other families that own NFL franchises have for the most part hired people experienced in football operations and stepped back = got out of the way.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am not interested in your opinion at all
not like anything anyone says will change your mind
I quoted Parcells where he says he appreciated Jerry Jones support. That is direct evidence he did not feel it's opposite, undermined.

If you can show evidence then I will change my mind. You cannot.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Other families that own NFL franchises have for the most part hired people experienced in football operations and stepped back = got out of the way.
Not Lurie, the Maras, Richardson, Brown, Kraft, the Modell's, the Rooney's, Kroenke, or Davis. They just do not take the title of GM.

Heck even the GB Packers who do not have an owner per se select a team president who does not 'take a step back.'

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think you nailed it.
They also hire head coaches that are not demanding enough.
The Clapper and Wade, and even Mac, just don't strike me as HC's that strike fear in players.
Between that and the Circus atmosphere, early playoff exits are all but guarenteed,
That’s the type Jerry wants. He strips them of any real power.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s pretty simple really. The winning owners of the last 28 Super Bowls all hired someone else to be their GM. That’s not a coincidence. Being the owner and GM hasn’t worked in getting a championship since the mid-90s. It’s not a secret or complicated. That’s the problem with the Jones.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Only the weak coaches like Uncle Wade and Big Mac...thats why you need a Jimmy or Bill.

Its the culture...
Jerry has intentionally tried not to hire another strong HC like Jimmy. He basically had to with Parcells after three 5-11 seasons and wanting a new stadium.

Otherwise it’s far from just Wade and Mike, it’s been all but JJ and BP.

Switzer, Chan, Campo, Wade, Garrett and now even Mike were all weak and neurtered coaches. Barry just had the advantage of inheriting Jimmys SB team

Jerry sabotages the team from the get-go and then wonders why they can’t advance in the playoffs. Buffoon.

plymkr

Reaction score
I do not recall that in particular but I do remember the sentiment. I can show you where he said he regrets leaving.
I do remember him saying he regretted leaving. I think the narrative that TO pushed him out is completely wrong. I remember TO not being in the discussion.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
For me it is a lack of objectivity and accountability. The team reminds me of a wealthy household where the parents want to be their kids friends more that they want to be the kids parents.
To be fair, I have seen that dynamic in economically disadvantaged households, as well as, middle and upper middle class households. I don't think the wealthy have a lock on that mentality... especially this day and age.

Motorola

Reaction score
It’s pretty simple really. The winning owners of the last 28 Super Bowls all hired someone else to be their GM. That’s not a coincidence. Being the owner and GM hasn’t worked in getting a championship since the mid-90s. It’s not a secret or complicated. That’s the problem with the Jones.
There’s been a few owners way back in the day that ran the show -Art Modell (Jim Brown) and a few decades ago - Al Davis (Marcus Allen)...plus Daniel Synder and Jerry Richardson in this century.
(Both forced out of "The Club" for their malfeasance.)
Kraft has stuck his nose in the football side a few times, and the Panthers owner Tepper + his wife have butted in on their GM's duties since acquiring the franchise.
Might be a couple of more that are trying to emulate the Joneses.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I always laugh at the Jethro minions desperately trying to defend him

and then claim they are not

happy with thirty years of failure to be true contenders; happy with participation trophies
I don't know if I would be considered a jethro minion I rarely if ever jump in to this debate. Mainly because 1) it is his toy and he gets to decide how he wants to play with it. The rest of us can decide if we want to accept it, ***** about it, or change teams. Either way, nothing any of us do will change this dynamic. So why get your panties in a wad. 2) I've come to accept that above all else, professional sports are about entertainment and bottom line (not necessarily in that order) winning and losing comes in 3rd. With most owners. I would be willing to bet every sports owner would trade their championship trophy's in a NY minute to have the Cowboys valuation and brand strength.

I used to be 100% emotionally invested in this team, but once I understood the two things above, it really allowed me to not to take what this franchise does personally...because at the end of the day this game doesn't truly affect my real life.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yep. Having watched years of BP in press conferences I could tell he was not happy
You can blather all you want in your attempt to make excuses for Jethro
His brother dying that fall also hit him hard. The man was just worn out.
Worn out from the coaching grind; but a couple of years later Parcells joined the Dolphins FO as EVP - football operations.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't know if I would be considered a jethro minion I rarely if ever jump in to this debate. Mainly because 1) it is his toy and he gets to decide how he wants to play with it. The rest of us can decide if we want to accept it, ***** about it, or change teams. Either way, nothing any of us do will change this dynamic. So why get your panties in a wad. 2) I've come to accept that above all else, professional sports are about entertainment and bottom line (not necessarily in that order) winning and losing comes in 3rd. With most owners. I would be willing to bet every sports owner would trade their championship trophy's in a NY minute to have the Cowboys valuation and brand strength.

I used to be 100% emotionally invested in this team, but once I understood the two things above, it really allowed me to not to take what this franchise does personally...because at the end of the day this game doesn't truly affect my real life.
Good post. I enjoy everything about the Cowboys and the NFL season. No need to turn into the devil, like so many here have done because of the recent futility. It’s still fun to watch how the 365 days of the year turn out and to be hopeful. I don’t see what’s wrong with that. We have no control over what Jerry does with the team. He’s going to do as he sees fit. So why hate on Jerry or Dak or Parsons, etc. all the time. I don’t get it. It’s entertainment and it takes you away from the stress of real life. I love it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Amber here calls the last 28 years of garbage “recent futility”.

:lmao:

The Jerry appreciation club sure does have a short memory!
You seem intent on your binary viewpoint. I could take or leave him but you call me a fan because I don't hate him.

I don't have interest in oversimplifications, scapegoats, or copium in general.