Where's your Optimeter needle pointing?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I've done this every off season after the draft just to check and see where posters' heads are at with the upcoming season. I did not do it last season because I am not sure what last season was.

Well, based upon having a healthy Dak and what we did while he was playing last year, I fully expect us to have one of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL. we have 3 legit stud WRs and rock solid TEs. We drafted a ton of defensive players..... and our defense was horrible last year, so I dont see how we cant be better on defense.

Now look at the schedule, and on paper , in MAY... not a whole lot there that strikes fear into you. So as often is the case, I expect a playoff appearance.

That being said, not a whole lot separates a 12-4 season from an 8-8 season.... so ANYTHING that happens will never surprise me in the NFL.

Cant wait for the schedule to come out tomorrow so I can try and lock in my New Orleans flights.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I've done this every off season after the draft just to check and see where posters' heads are at with the upcoming season. I did not do it last season because I am not sure what last season was.

Which brings me to this season. I am really feeling good about this season, I think the Cowboys will win the East and possibly a playoff game that first weekend.

But it's not the record this season or the playoffs that have me extra tuned in, it is to see if I can get that feeling I had in 1990-91 when I could see something special coming together. That's when that defense began to emerge and I could see the speed and the train coming.

New DC, 8 D players drafted and more signed in FA and UDFA and some of the missing pieces returning like Diggs and we'll see about Vander Esch. Not to mention the OL coming back an of course, the QB and Jarwin and we'll get a good look at Lamb's soph season and I do think it will be impressive. Ya know, I got the feeling watching him at OU when Hollywood Brown was there that this guy was just meant to be a WR, he's a natural.

If I were a clever illustrator, I would put a graphic up with the needle and different categories but I am neither clever nor an illustrator so I will just list them.

Your choices are: Let's Talk Draft 2022, 2020 in Hindsight (no better), Barely Better than 2020, Wild Card, Division Champs, Noisemaker in the Playoffs, This is Our Year.

I am in that Division Champs section of the Optimeter.

Please state your reasons for where your needle is pointing and could we try and refrain from going after someone or name calling like Homer or Hater because of where their needle is? You feel how you feel and don't have to defend it.

There isn't any doubt in my mind that we get better on defense. Last season's def hit rock bottom so the only way is up. Parson's will bring some playmaking and we will continue to improve in getting takeaways. I would take the 18th ranked defense that is top 10 in takeaways right now if it was offered to me.

Anyone want to offer me that?

:thumbup:

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I'm optimistic.

We finally have coaches on our staff that know how to put together Super Bowl rosters, they've done so before.

For a decade we lacked that, our rosters were not designed properly because no one, other than Monte Kiffen i guess, had ever coached in one.

Teams need all sorts of players to win, technical and physical skills, good team players and locker room guys etc.. etc.. our current coaches have seen that. They know what kind of players can mesh to take teams a long way in the playoffs.

Whether we have all the right ones needs to be seen, but at least these guys know what they look like.

I would venture that Quinn would never have come here to work under Garrett.

Majic

Reaction score
Wildcard.
What worries me is that think all 3 other teams in the East have got better. I also don't like our schedule particularly the away games

ondaedg

Reaction score
I'm optimistic.

We finally have coaches on our staff that know how to put together Super Bowl rosters, they've done so before.

For a decade we lacked that, our rosters were not designed properly because no one, other than Monte Kiffen i guess, had ever coached in one.

Teams need all sorts of players to win, technical and physical skills, good team players and locker room guys etc.. etc.. our current coaches have seen that. They know what kind of players can mesh to take teams a long way in the playoffs.

Whether we have all the right ones needs to be seen, but at least these guys know what they look like.

I would venture that Quinn would never have come here to work under Garrett.

Both Richard and Marinelli had coached in super bowls though I'm not sure they've ever been responsible for building the rosters prior to coming to Dallas.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Both Richard and Marinelli had coached in super bowls though I'm not sure they've ever been responsible for building the rosters prior to coming to Dallas.

Yeah they did, but not on the roster construction end, but yes you're right.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
My Optimeter for the Cowboys is like going to a strip club. Lots of glitz, glamour. spotlight before the season. So it’s at 100%. Then the season starts.. after a couple of drinks and a trip to the ATM I feel used and abused wondering where my money went. Then my optimeter points down.

DFWJC

Reaction score
My Optimeter for the Cowboys is like going to a strip club. Lots of glitz, glamour. spotlight before the season. So it’s at 100%. Then the season starts.. after a couple of drinks and a trip to the ATM I feel used and abused wondering where my money went. Then my optimeter points down.
:omg::oops:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The only hope I have is that Dallas is good enough to make the playoffs, thats it.
I really dont want to see jerry and son, holding up a SB trophy, that would just ruin the fact they won one.
So I really dont care how far they go in playoffs.
I just want them to be good enough to make the season entertaining for me. That is basically what they are is entertainers, so entertain!

I have seen enough nfl seasons to know , that what you think will happen rarely does happen.
A new team can rise up and beat all the SB bound teams, like TB did last year.
I am sure GB and NO fans both thought it was their year to go to SB, and if not for TB, one of them would have.

The other thing is no matter how good a team looks before the season, or at start, the wheels can come off at any point.

I think dallas will start out being competitive, but they are lacking things imo that will keep them from being a great team this year.
And I dont mean the defense. They could also go 13-4 look pretty good then lose the first playoff game.
you just never know.
It is remotely possible dallas gets to a SB, but I just dont see it with the weak coaches they have. (I have no opinion on Quinn yet)

I dont need a SB to enjoy the season, just win some games, beat some good teams look good during season, make playoffs.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I go into every season thinking it could be the one kind of like a blind squirrel, finding a nut or the stars aligning. Kind of have to do that to be a fan. But I’m not going to lie, there has been an “accountability/attitude” gene missing from this team for a very long time...the D is horrible, turnovers, offense struggles vs good teams. It’s like there is a chip missing where getting over the hump isn’t happening. But I still am going into this one thinking talent wise there is enough to get it done.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
On paper 2020's Poe, McCoy, Thomas, Griffen, Aldon and Lee.... looked a pretty decent front 7 and i'm not sure we have better players going into this year, however, hopefully we're better coached and the youngsters we've brought in show more determination than some of those that put on the Star last year.

I like the youth we now have on the DL, plus Gregory will finally start the season after having a full TC. The biggest difference IMO will come at LB. The speed and range added with Parsons, Neal and Cox should be noticeable. We won't be forced to watch Smith and/or LVE underperform with no viable replacements. But I agree that it's all talk and paper right now. We'll have to wait and see...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LMAO... great analogy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thoughts are similar to the OP. I think division champ is realistic, and possibly even a win in the 1st round of the playoffs, but I do not expect a deep playoff run.

That said, I'm hopeful for more, and think more is possible. But there is no real way to know until the games are played. Until then less is also possible.