Which 1st rd position makes the biggest impact yr 1?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fully understand a 1st round selection is an investment for the life of his rookie contract. However, this franchise usually starts their 1st rounders day 1 and they usually take high floor, over high upside selections. Tyler Smith probably fits the latter, but he was the outlier.

QB-no
RB-yes, they have the easiest transition to the NFL game.
TE-maybe. Most have steep learning curves and tend to need development.
WR-With top 3 receivers filled, not a top priority any longer.
OL-5 starters are set makes taking a 1st rd pick unlikely
DE-maybe. Steep learning curves, but can get feet wet apart of the rotation yr 1
DT-they will only consider a pass rusher type.
LB-Yes, like running back easy transition to the NFL level
CB-Yes, depth behind the top 3 very poor. Never can have enough, but yr 1 impact small.
S-No, 3 safeties are back, more of a future need

RB, LB are both low valued positions, but offer the most impact right away. TE could be the wildcard, especially more of an oversized receiver.

Hardline

Reaction score
Cowboys have an excellent track record drafting OL in the first round and is the most bust proof.
Next I would say RB. That's why I want Bijan Robinson very bad. He will literally dominate the league as a rookie.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
TE followed by OG. Tyron is penciled in as a starter but history tells us that he will miss games.
Tyron will miss games, but they aren't going to draft a 1st round lineman to sit on the bench, which he would when Tyron is healthy. They could easily sign a veteran Guard to fill in when Tyron misses action. It's a future need, but not top priority.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think your first line indicates how I feel.

I believe you could make a case behind selecting any of the money positions at 26 and make it make sense. Just simply cannot over reach for need.

JBS

Reaction score
Unless Robinson unexpected falls to them, I agree.
I’m just trying to figure out which TE they like. They’re looking for a receiving option. Kincaid is definitely a top target, I’m not sure if they prefer Mayer or Musgrave. I don’t like Musgrave but Belt is speaking as if he’s a target

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Fully understand a 1st round selection is an investment for the life of his rookie contract. However, this franchise usually starts their 1st rounders day 1 and they usually take high floor, over high upside selections. Tyler Smith probably fits the latter, but he was the outlier.

QB-no
RB-yes, they have the easiest transition to the NFL game.
TE-maybe. Most have steep learning curves and tend to need development.
WR-With top 3 receivers filled, not a top priority any longer.
OL-5 starters are set makes taking a 1st rd pick unlikely
DE-maybe. Steep learning curves, but can get feet wet apart of the rotation yr 1
DT-they will only consider a pass rusher type.
LB-Yes, like running back easy transition to the NFL level
CB-Yes, depth behind the top 3 very poor. Never can have enough, but yr 1 impact small.
S-No, 3 safeties are back, more of a future need

RB, LB are both low valued positions, but offer the most impact right away. TE could be the wildcard, especially more of an oversized receiver.
Running back, offensive linemen and tight end. I am telling you Gibbs is a Chris Johnson clone and Washington will be like having a 4th tackle on field when he lines up in the 12 personnel. I think a guard could walk in and play as well.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’m just trying to figure out which TE they like. They’re looking for a receiving option. Kincaid is definitely a top target, I’m not sure if they prefer Mayer or Musgrave. I don’t like Musgrave but Belt is speaking as if he’s a target
Belt, Slater, and Archer get bread crumbs. The Cowboys don’t let them say to much. I wouldn’t take what they say with a grain of salt. In my opinion Washington is the tight end they like because of his blocking and receiving potential. Ferguson and Hendershot are similar to Kincaid and Musgrave while Washington is one of a kind. Mayer is the wild card but I don’t think he makes it to 26.

Smith22

Reaction score
Martin is getting older and Tyron can't be trusted to stay healthy. Our RT is also coming off a major injury. I see OL being addressed round 2 or 3, possibly 1 if the right guy falls.

Aven8

Reaction score
Gibbs or Robinson at RB, or Mayer or Kincade at TE.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Running back, offensive linemen and tight end. I am telling you Gibbs is a Chris Johnson clone and Washington will be like having a 4th tackle on field when he lines up in the 12 personnel. I think a guard could walk in and play as well.
Which Guard is replacing Tyler Smith or Zach Martin? Like it or not, Tyron is going to start at LT.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Which Guard is replacing Tyler Smith or Zach Martin? Like it or not, Tyron is going to start at LT.
If you know who goes down and Tyler moves to tackle. I like the TCU kid and Minnesota Center. Good prospects.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Belt, Slater, and Archer get bread crumbs. The Cowboys don’t let them say to much. I wouldn’t take what they say with a grain of salt. In my opinion Washington is the tight end they like because of his blocking and receiving potential. Ferguson and Hendershot are similar to Kincaid and Musgrave while Washington is one of a kind. Mayer is the wild card but I don’t think he makes it to 26.
I like Washington too, but right now is a project as a receiver. They already have an inline blocker, but need to replace Shultz production in the passing game. If you want a blocker, Mayer is the better fit as he is also a quality receiver.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If you know who goes down and Tyler moves to tackle. I like the TCU kid and Minnesota Center. Good prospects.
They could fill that need in free agency or later in the draft. Tyron's contract is based on playing time, he is going to start. The need is really more for 2024. The only scenario is Schmitz if they want to upgrade Biaz at Center. Unless someone surprisingly falls, they won't take OL in rd 1.

As for Gibbs, he is very similar to Pollard. Most of the backs they were looking at, were more power/short yardage backs to replace Zeke.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Belt loves Mustgrave, he is the only one I don't like. Did also talk with Kincaid, who would be ideal for the passing game. Mayer is the type they have always targeted in the past, will MM want more of a oversized receiving type over the inline blocker?

JBS

Reaction score
Belt loves Mustgrave, he is the only one I don't like. Did also talk with Kincaid, who would be ideal for the passing game. Mayer is the type they have always targeted in the past, will MM want more of an oversized receiving type over the inline blocker?
Belt absolutely loves Musgrave and I’m with you. He’s the only one I don’t like. @KingintheNorth is Bobby belt

JBS

Reaction score
Yes. Bc they’re steered in the wrong direction so often. This franchise is a circus. Everybody knows their move months in advance. There are no secrets here. Nice try.