Which 1st rd position makes the biggest impact yr 1?

JBS

Reaction score
lol... you're becoming obsessed man.
Hahaha nah man. I’m just trying to prepare you guys for what’s going to happen. Im not sure why you guys are fighting it so hard. It’s clear as day.

Proof

Reaction score
Hahaha nah man. I’m just trying to prepare you guys for what’s going to happen. Im not sure why you guys are fighting it so hard. It’s clear as day.
the case is there. there's smoke, and i can see it /wouldn't hate it. just not entirely sold it's a lock

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
An interesting draft, especially with Tyler's pick last year. Interesting that with Cook's signing we don't have a 'need' position and I wonder if we may draft down or may have a 'pet cat' (which Jerry will expose in the presser).
I would say: positional value CB, upgrade receiving options TE ....though I wonder if we can bring back Schultz on a very team friendly (no market) deal.

JBS

Reaction score
the case is there. there's smoke, and i can see it /wouldn't hate it. just not entirely sold it's a lock
It’s definitely not a lock. I’ve said that, it can’t be a lock, at the end of the day, it’s still the nfl draft. It’s a total crapshoot. I’m just saying it’s absolutely the most likely scenario.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes. Bc they’re steered in the wrong direction so often. This franchise is a circus. Everybody knows their move months in advance. There are no secrets here. Nice try.
Yeah we all knew they were going to draft Micah and Tyler. :rolleyes: They also told everyone they were trading for Gilmore and Cooks. Most media and fans thought Zeke was coming back for one more season.

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah we all knew they were going to draft Micah and Tyler. :rolleyes: They also told everyone they were trading for Gilmore and Cooks. Most media and fans thought Zeke was coming back for one more season.
What? Everybody absolutely knew we were drafting Tyler. Are you kidding? They didn’t even want to draft Micah. He wasn’t their plan. Their plan went to crap. That happens.

btcutter

Reaction score
Fully understand a 1st round selection is an investment for the life of his rookie contract. However, this franchise usually starts their 1st rounders day 1 and they usually take high floor, over high upside selections. Tyler Smith probably fits the latter, but he was the outlier.

QB-no
RB-yes, they have the easiest transition to the NFL game.
TE-maybe. Most have steep learning curves and tend to need development.
WR-With top 3 receivers filled, not a top priority any longer.
OL-5 starters are set makes taking a 1st rd pick unlikely
DE-maybe. Steep learning curves, but can get feet wet apart of the rotation yr 1
DT-they will only consider a pass rusher type.
LB-Yes, like running back easy transition to the NFL level
CB-Yes, depth behind the top 3 very poor. Never can have enough, but yr 1 impact small.
S-No, 3 safeties are back, more of a future need

RB, LB are both low valued positions, but offer the most impact right away. TE could be the wildcard, especially more of an oversized receiver.
Wouldn't write of OL just yet given both injuries to Steele and Tyron Smith and question of where Tyler will be playing. It all depends on how draft plays out. Some players are just more ready to step in then others.

DL always get over drafted on day 1. The ones selected late in 1st tends to contribute very little during 1st yr as they are usually round 2 talents and need much development. We all know this FO won't select DT in round 1.

Agree RB and LB are going to most Pro ready.

On this team RB is probably going to make the biggest impact. That's why it's important you don't miss on this RB pick. Sure late round RB "may" do well but there's a reason why they are rated lower.

TE is lower need and probably make less impact than RB. But you may get the best "value" when you pick late 1st round. With Cook and Pollard threatening the outside and deep it may really open up the middle for a TE.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Fully understand a 1st round selection is an investment for the life of his rookie contract. However, this franchise usually starts their 1st rounders day 1 and they usually take high floor, over high upside selections. Tyler Smith probably fits the latter, but he was the outlier.

QB-no
RB-yes, they have the easiest transition to the NFL game.
TE-maybe. Most have steep learning curves and tend to need development.
WR-With top 3 receivers filled, not a top priority any longer.
OL-5 starters are set makes taking a 1st rd pick unlikely
DE-maybe. Steep learning curves, but can get feet wet apart of the rotation yr 1
DT-they will only consider a pass rusher type.
LB-Yes, like running back easy transition to the NFL level
CB-Yes, depth behind the top 3 very poor. Never can have enough, but yr 1 impact small.
S-No, 3 safeties are back, more of a future need

RB, LB are both low valued positions, but offer the most impact right away. TE could be the wildcard, especially more of an oversized receiver.
Guard would make the biggest impact. It’s our biggest need and biggest weakness.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? Everybody absolutely knew we were drafting Tyler. Are you kidding? They didn’t even want to draft Micah. He wasn’t their plan. Their plan went to crap. That happens.
I said they "should" draft Tyler Smith and that he was the best OL in that draft...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Wouldn't write of OL just yet given both injuries to Steele and Tyron Smith and question of where Tyler will be playing. It all depends on how draft plays out. Some players are just more ready to step in then others.

DL always get over drafted on day 1. The ones selected late in 1st tends to contribute very little during 1st yr as they are usually round 2 talents and need much development. We all know this FO won't select DT in round 1.

Agree RB and LB are going to most Pro ready.

On this team RB is probably going to make the biggest impact. That's why it's important you don't miss on this RB pick. Sure late round RB "may" do well but there's a reason why they are rated lower.

TE is lower need and probably make less impact than RB. But you may get the best "value" when you pick late 1st round. With Cook and Pollard threatening the outside and deep it may really open up the middle for a TE.
Unless they believe Steele won't be ready, then taking Offensive Line makes sense, but that is just a fill in role for 2023. Could see Edge, but feel RB, LB or TE have the most impact right away.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My fear is they are going to trade up for Robinson. No problem if he is at 26, but would hate to trade up for a running back.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m just trying to figure out which TE they like. They’re looking for a receiving option. Kincaid is definitely a top target, I’m not sure if they prefer Mayer or Musgrave. I don’t like Musgrave but Belt is speaking as if he’s a target
Belt loves Musgrave but that doesn’t mean the Cowboys do.

btcutter

Reaction score
My fear is they are going to trade up for Robinson. No problem if he is at 26, but would hate to trade up for a running back.
Hard NO to trading up for Robinson. If he falls ala CeeDee then all for it. Not wasting additional draft capital.

btcutter

Reaction score
Unless they believe Steele won't be ready, then taking Offensive Line makes sense, but that is just a fill in role for 2023. Could see Edge, but feel RB, LB or TE have the most impact right away.
Don't disagree. At end of round 1 it's what talent is available. This draft is deep at RB/TE (especially TE IMO) so anything in first 4 rounds you'll get a good player. Robinson is most unique in the RB group IMO but I am not trading up for him.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Good topic, it’s been on my mind as well.
I’m late to the party, lots of solid responses so far.

Easiest to transition to in the NFL:
RB
OG
LB
TE
K