Which 1st rd position makes the biggest impact yr 1?

garyv

Reaction score
Fully understand a 1st round selection is an investment for the life of his rookie contract. However, this franchise usually starts their 1st rounders day 1 and they usually take high floor, over high upside selections. Tyler Smith probably fits the latter, but he was the outlier.

QB-no
RB-yes, they have the easiest transition to the NFL game.
TE-maybe. Most have steep learning curves and tend to need development.
WR-With top 3 receivers filled, not a top priority any longer.
OL-5 starters are set makes taking a 1st rd pick unlikely
DE-maybe. Steep learning curves, but can get feet wet apart of the rotation yr 1
DT-they will only consider a pass rusher type.
LB-Yes, like running back easy transition to the NFL level
CB-Yes, depth behind the top 3 very poor. Never can have enough, but yr 1 impact small.
S-No, 3 safeties are back, more of a future need

RB, LB are both low valued positions, but offer the most impact right away. TE could be the wildcard, especially more of an oversized receiver.

Personally and Ive been saying this before we signed Ronald Jones the first two picks rounds 1 and 2 should
be a RB and OL and not in specific order but thats where we need to focus. The other option they could go
OL and DT than in 3rd round go RB.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Fully understand a 1st round selection is an investment for the life of his rookie contract. However, this franchise usually starts their 1st rounders day 1 and they usually take high floor, over high upside selections. Tyler Smith probably fits the latter, but he was the outlier.

QB-no
DE-maybe. Steep learning curves, but can get feet wet apart of the rotation yr 1
CB-Yes, depth behind the top 3 very poor. Never can have enough, but yr 1 impact small.

RB, LB are both low valued positions, but offer the most impact right away. TE could be the wildcard, especially more of an oversized receiver.
Well I agree running back is a yes I don’t agree our ofensive line has five set starters you could be right let’s see

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well I agree running back is a yes I don’t agree our ofensive line has five set starters you could be right let’s see
There isn't one day 1 starter in the draft that can start unless injury occurs or if Steele isn't ready. You can only make an argument for maybe Biaz, but that's it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Personally and Ive been saying this before we signed Ronald Jones the first two picks rounds 1 and 2 should
be a RB and OL and not in specific order but thats where we need to focus. The other option they could go
OL and DT than in 3rd round go RB.
Need to add one more offensive weapon within the top 3 rounds, add a corner and a trenches players on either side of the football.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Lol, nothing there convinces me that Musgrave is who they want.

They also like production, which he doesn’t have. Kincaid does.

I actively try to not listen to the local Dallas media until the draft is less than a week away.

We will see I suppose, but I don’t think it is Musgrave.
They would be insane to take Musgrave over Kincaid.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I’m just trying to figure out which TE they like. They’re looking for a receiving option. Kincaid is definitely a top target, I’m not sure if they prefer Mayer or Musgrave. I don’t like Musgrave but Belt is speaking as if he’s a target
Kuntz!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’ve started to turn the corner on Mazi Smith. He moves extremely well for a 320 lbs DT. I can envision him being one of those prospects that ends up being more productive at the NFL than in college (i.e. Daron Payne). All the nuts and bolts are there.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

QB-no

Good question but almost impossible to give a good answer.

Is the question specific to the Cowboys at #26 or a general question?

In general, it depends on the specific player. Also top 10 vs late first is probably a somewhat different answer.

Generally, other than QB, WR is the most difficult transition from college to the NFL.

RB tends to be the easiest transition except for pass blocking. Some teams will really limit a RB's snaps if he can't pass block.

TE Michael Mayer probably has a big impact immediately. TE Washington probably not nearly as much immediate impact (as a receiver).

I'll disagree on LB being a definite immediate impact. In some schemes, LB is the most mentally difficult position on defense.

CB in a heavy man coverage scheme "should" be able to contribute immediately. Zone is more mentally difficult.

Safety is somewhat scheme dependent. In general, one of the more mentally difficult positions.

DLine as you indicated allows for contributions from rookies due to rotations.
- DL is generally the easiest mentally; although, playing run defense against teams like the Shanahan 49ers is very challenging mentally.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’ve started to turn the corner on Mazi Smith. He moves extremely well for a 320 lbs DT. I can envision him being one of those prospects that ends up being more productive at the NFL than in college (i.e. Daron Payne). All the nuts and bolts are there.
Don’t you do it!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good question but almost impossible to give a good answer.

Is the question specific to the Cowboys at #26 or a general question?

In general, it depends on the specific player. Also top 10 vs late first is probably a somewhat different answer.

Generally, other than QB, WR is the most difficult transition from college to the NFL.

RB tends to be the easiest transition except for pass blocking. Some teams will really limit a RB's snaps if he can't pass block.

TE Michael Mayer probably has a big impact immediately. TE Washington probably not nearly as much immediate impact (as a receiver).

I'll disagree on LB being a definite immediate impact. In some schemes, LB is the most mentally difficult position on defense.

CB in a heavy man coverage scheme "should" be able to contribute immediately. Zone is more mentally difficult.

Safety is somewhat scheme dependent. In general, one of the more mentally difficult positions.

DLine as you indicated allows for contributions from rookies due to rotations.
- DL is generally the easiest mentally; although, playing run defense against teams like the Shanahan 49ers is very challenging mentally.
-RB clearly is the easiest transition.
-Think trenches players need developmental time with technique and some need to add more weight to their frames.
-Most TE's need developmental time. However, these TE's are coming in far more ready to contribute.